Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Customer Service

Options
  • 17-02-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just thought I'd say this with everyone.

We got NTL into the house a number of months back and started having problems with the Internet. It would drop and come back online maybe a day or so later. We rang up back in October maybe someone came out and said it wouldnt happen again.

Low and behold... it happened again. In and around November. Internet repeatedly went down and came back up. Before you ask the Neighbours didnt have this problem so its localised to our house. Multiple calls again to UPC.

Went down again over January, and got a techie to call out. In his report he said he changed a tap (not sure if he did because the housemate said he was in and out like a shout and didnt hang around). Internet back up.

Down again this week. I estimate this is about my 10th calling them since November. Thats a lot of calls considering if you exclude the Christmas where we didnt use the Internet. Out of my own curiosity I looked at the NTL box at the side of my house and the cable going into the house is wrapped well in black duct tape .... is this normal!??

When I ring I should say they always ask the same thing.... turn off modem, turn on. Plug out wireless router, plug laptop straight into modem. Obviously no good as the problem is coming from outside the house (or at least between the house and the hub in the estate).

At this stage I'm very acquainted with the UPC Customer Service and while I've nothing against the Call Centre Attendees but the service is woeful. On the phone for well over half and hour at least most times and a merry go round sometimes when you ring..

What got my blood boiling... I noticed on the UPC site that it had won 2 Customer Service Awards in 2008 from CCMA (Call Centre Management Assoc). I couldnt believe this as I have never dealt with another company with such a poor track record. I know I'm not alone on this point as anyone I speak to about UPC simply rolls their eyes to the heavens.

With people watching cash these days I wouldnt be suprised if UPC lost a lot of customers due to this inadequate activity.

Put your hands up if you agree!
    -rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

You ain't the first or the last to be shafted by their customer service

As for the awards, they must have given them to themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

thewing wrote: »

Nice one

Reminds me of the Fr Ted episode when they win the raffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They also won best internet provider. They seem to win all these awards yet few are actually happy with them. I can only assume it all looks good on paper.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You ain't the first or the last to be shafted by their customer service

I reckon that award must have been given for their sales call team, cos by jaysus they pick up fast if you try to get through there. Tech support and billing enquiries are sadly a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Toots85 wrote: »
    I reckon that award must have been given for their sales call team, cos by jaysus they pick up fast if you try to get through there. Tech support and billing enquiries are sadly a different kettle of fish altogether.

Yes I agree totally. The billing enquiries part is offensive in that it makes it so obvious that they simply do not want to deal with queries. To listen to several minutes of a prerecorded voice but you actually join the waiting queue is really stretching it.

And given that over the past couple of years senior management people have undertaken in public to address the issue of customer service it really shows how much contempt they have for their customers.

I really think we should be afraid of their growing power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

TBH, I've dealt with many woeful customer service departments (UPC included of course) and all of them seem to have won an award or two at any one time...

Advertisement