Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog won't walk. any ideas?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

hello all, my dog is a purebred female west highland about 1 1/2 years old.
    This problem is strange, sometimes when I take her for a walk, at any random point on the footpath, she'll stop, won't go any further and put her life and soul into not going on. Now it's not as if she's tired, sometimes she'll want to go left at a junction or something whereas I want to take her right, if i go to go right, she'll stop, if we go left she'll try to sprint off full of energy.

When she lays down I give her all the time in the world she wants in case she's tired, she's not though and often she just wants to turn around and head back home even though when she gets back she's sprinting around the back. When she stops on the walk, I'll give her a rest even though she isn't panting or anything, try and coax her to walk on, pull her a little bit to try and get her moving, but it can be futile sometimes.

She's very well fed, healthy, regularly taken to vet etc. She only does this say maybe 1/5 walks, and mainly seems to do it for me as opposed to other family members who walk her. Now it's not as if I walk her differently from them, I don't jerk her on the lead and I walk slower than my sister does when walking her so I'm not going too fast for her.

I can't figure out why she doesn't seem to like walking. Every other dog I've come across goes ballistic when they realize they're being taken for a walk. She was afraid of traffic a while back and wouldn't go any further if there were loud trucks on the road, so I used to take the routes that avoided the busy traffic. On one occasion when she wouldn't go any further, I gave her few minutes just lying there, no sign of her moving, then another dog went past with its owner and she tried tearing after him in the direction I was originally trying to go.

So people, any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Carry her to the point at where you'd turn back home and let her walk home?
    She might get used to it then. My parents dog is similar - I just carry her to the park, and once she's there - she's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Treaties! Not when she lies down, but when she gets up in response to your excited "This way! This way!" and rushings forward towards the way you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

olaola wrote: »
    Carry her to the point at where you'd turn back home and let her walk home?
    She might get used to it then. My parents dog is similar - I just carry her to the park, and once she's there - she's fine.

Tried carrying her alright sometimes she'll change her mind most of the time it's just me carrying her around with people looking at me as if I've stolen her :P
    luckat wrote: »
    Treaties! Not when she lies down, but when she gets up in response to your excited "This way! This way!" and rushings forward towards the way you want to go.
    That's an idea, must try it. Gonna be like a doggy paedophile with bags of treats in my pocket!

thanks for the replies lads

Advertisement