Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brother MFD

• 17-02-2009 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

A good news story for a change.

Ok I'm officially impressed. Couple of weeks ago got a Brother DCP-585CW networked printer/scanner and just now set it up. Did a little reading before buying obviously to make sure there were drivers etc. But still I expected to have a little trouble setting it up.

Not so. Step by step instructions (for both Deb and RPM based distros) on the Brother site to install the printer, scanner and their scankey-tool. Absolutely flawless install. I've tested the printer over USB, Wired-LAN and Wifi - no problems. Even the scan-key tool which, I'll admit, I was dubious about. But no - from the scanner itself select Scan to File, select my user on the PC and off it goes - scans, calls up GIMP and there's my image.

Ok the fact that there are dependencies and drivers that you have to install from the terminal won't be for everyone but even a total newbie to linux could follow the instructions easily. It is most definitely a step in the right direction. If only more manufacturers would follow Brother's lead.

Here's the instructions.

Advertisement