Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 40d ques

• 17-02-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

I have a few spare quid on its way which has to spent on a present for myself.
    I was looking at getting the 40d and passing my 400d to the wife.
    I can get the body in gunnes for €700 which is about €11 dearer than the cheapest i can find in the uk.
    However a few shops have told me that the Canon 40d has been discontinued I am not sure if this is true. Should I still go for it or add the extra and get the 50d.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

As far as I know the 40D is not discontinued, the 50D is a lot more money for around the same ISO performance but you do get 15MP and a gorgeous 3" 920k LCD screen. (other tin and whistle features are also included!)
    If you have the spare dosh I'd get the 50 if you have to use your head the 40D.
    Buying from Gunn's you'll also have a great after service in the rare case that anything will go wrong with the Camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

The 40D is not discontinued. It's a very good buy IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I actually looked at the 50D lately and still went 40D. Basically the difference wasn't worth it and the 40D has better battery life (swung it for me).

The difference I put towards a macro lens. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Calina wrote: »
    The difference I put towards a macro lens. :-)

+1

50/40D difference wont be substantial

But with lenses it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Thanks, my head says save the money and go with the 40d but the gadget freak inside says the 50d. I honestly cant justify the extra for the 50d for extra pixels a flashy new lcd screen and hd which I know I will never use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I heard the 50d is not as sharp as it should be which is not good.

Nasty rumours, I've read fantastic reviews of the 50D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Its not a rumor its true, check dpreview review and they will tell you that the 40D is sharper per pixel than the 50D.

I would go for the 40D I think people were expecting more from the 50D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Some cons from dpreview.

# High ISO performance worse than 40D
    # Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D

Duchovny wrote: »
    Its not a rumor its true, check dpreview review and they will tell you that the 40D is sharper per pixel than the 50D.

I would go for the 40D I think people were expecting more from the 50D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Some cons from dpreview.

# Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D
    DP review is not the holy grail, they have made many mistakes in the 5D II review.
    In fact DP review has lost much credibility over the last 9-12 months.
    I go by a selection of review sites not just 1 but a few sites and then just average out the scores, the DP review Canon sites are spammed by Nikon peeps fairly regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Have a 40d, upgraded from the 30d and its a superb camera.. Cant fault it so far...

I coudnt merit the extra money for the 50d as the advantages were minimal.

• Advertisement

I agree that the reviews on the 50d are mixed.
    They all seem to have the similar line that the extras on the 50d are not worth the price difference. The iso issue is mentioned in all the reviews I have read.
    So I think its going to be the 40d that way I can get the grip and extra batteries as well.

I'm sure you wont be disapointed ;)

Because cheap lenses can't fill the sensor with detail. My friend has a 50D and uses a 24-70 L and the detail is immense. However when he puts my 17-85 onto it things are a little dodge. Whereas the 17-85 of my 30D is not half bad.

Just a small thing I've noticed. Might just be my eyes decieving me.....

bmcgrath wrote: »
    Because cheap lenses can't fill the sensor with detail. My friend has a 50D and uses a 24-70 L and the detail is immense. However when he puts my 17-85 onto it things are a little dodge. Whereas the 17-85 of my 30D is not half bad.

Just a small thing I've noticed. Might just be my eyes decieving me.....

If you put the 24-70L in the 40D and in the 50D the 40D is sharper per pixel than the 50D doesn't mean the 50D is a bad camera but for the difference of the price is not worth it...

If you put the 24-70L in the 40D and in the 50D the 40D is sharper per pixel than the 50D doesn't mean the 50D is a bad camera but for the difference of the price is not worth it...

I never said it was a bad camera.

If it were me I'd actually go for the 50D over a 40D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I was pricing up the 40D & the 50D in Cork & Limerick recently and for the difference in both cameras (pricewise & ability) I am still going to go for the 40D as I want to upgrade my flashgun to a 580EX.

On the discontinued rumours, a Cork store told me they were still getting them in, however, Canon were appaerently going to increase their prices by 20%.

The Limerick store said they were discontinued and no mention of the apparent price hike, so I don't know what the story is there.

Since you gave so much credence to one sites review...

"Beyond these specifications though, the new EOS 50D boasts a number of enhancements. Most obviously the pixel count is around 50% greater at 15.1 Megapixels to the 40D’s 10.1, and by using gapless microlenses, the 50D manages to match the noise levels of the previous model."

"Fit a higher quality lens to the 50D and you'll see the resolution differences between it and the 40D increase, but be in no doubt, if you use a lesser quality model, you won't be exploiting the 50D's full potential."

"Comparing the EOS 50D crops against those from the EOS 40D first, its obvious while the former is capturing many more pixels, there's not a huge difference in the actual detail resolved. Look carefully and you will see an advantage to the 50D below, but it's not as significant as you might expect given its 50% greater total pixel count."

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_50D/verdict.shtml

I will add again that a lot of people were not happy with the way DPreview, the way they set the parameters for their 50D review....it still crops up regularly on their message boards and is constantly discredited.

If I didn't have a FF camera or I was loaded and wanted to change my back up I would get the 50D.

The 20% raise in the price it suppose to be in most Canon and Nikon cameras/lens its not just for the 40D...

New baby (40d) arrived this afternoon, Now read the manual or go play:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Forget the manual, go play! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement