Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Flapjacks

• 17-02-2009 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey,

Does anyone ahve a recipe for healthy flapjacks (i.e. no butter or sugar)? I thought i seen one on here a while ago, but ive had a search and cant find it anywhere...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Personally, I don't think flakjacks are a healthy food at all. They are high cal, high carb and often high fat, particularly for the amount of eating in them.

Using blackstrap molasses instead of sugar might help a bit. Mixing in some whey with the oats would bump up the protein content.

My own preference for oats as a snack is to soak some oats in skim milk, leave in the fridge for a couple of hours for it to go soft and dessert-y, then serve with some grated apple and a sprinkle of nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 liz51

aw really? i was looking for something healthy to have with a cup of tea instead of a biscuit, but i suppose theres probably not much that would be tasty...

But I will try the oats, thanks EileenG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wanted to make some peanut butter cookies using natural peanut butter and oat flour. But I have no idea how much to add, ratios etc. I expect there is enough fat in nuts without having to add more.

Could add some sweetener if needed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I have PDF of excellent, high protein, low-carb dessert recipes, including peanut butter cookie recipes..mmm..) from Precision Nutrition.

Tried to upload it but I think it's too big. If anyone wants it, PM me your email address and I shall send it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

That sounds great taconnol, I've been looking for some good, healthy dessert recipes. Sent you a PM :)

• Advertisement

that would be great thanks taconnol! :-)

liz51 wrote: »
    aw really? i was looking for something healthy to have with a cup of tea instead of a biscuit, but i suppose theres probably not much that would be tasty...

But I will try the oats, thanks EileenG!

Definitely not a good sub for a biscuit. Maybe instead of dessert or a snack meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've a sub for a biscuit that I've been making recently (I've been toying with flapjack recipes).

Two options:

Option A - AKA "Not too concerned about calories, but would like to eat healthily"
    250g oats
    150g mixed fruit
    60g nuts or seeds (I like pumpkin seeds myself)
    100g olive oil (or a mix of olive oil and butter)
    120g unflavoured whey
    12 crushed candarel / sweetener of your choice
    some milk

Mix whey, nuts / seeds and mixed fruit together. Heat the oil / butter a little then mix it in. Heat some milk a little then add it in. Fold in the oats. Stick in a greased tray. Bake at 160-180 for 30 minutes. You may need to cover them with tin foil for a bit to stop them getting overly brown. Cut and leave to cool in the tin, then take them out.

These are savage. Go really well with a cup of tea, especially fresh out of the oven.

Option B - AKA "I'm dieting, but I like a biccy with my coffee"
    250g oat flour (just grind up oats in your food processor)
    100g mixed fruit
    80g nuts
    170g unflavoured whey
    12 crushed candarel / sweetener of your choice
    some water or milk (i used water)

Make them up the same way basically. The whey helps them to rise. Not as yum, but they're grand with a cuppa and pretty decent for you.

ooh lovely, think i will try the second one, always need something sweet with my tea, these might stop me reaching for the chocolate bikkies!!!! thanks!

Most welcome. Let us know how you get on. :)

Tonight I'm trying out one of the recipes from Taconnol's e-book (thanks again)....chocolate cheesecake. They're prepped but not baked yet. I had to make a few substitutions because I've no chocolate milk etc. I'll report back (probably with pics) how that went.

It's free to distribute so I've stuck it up for normal download here. Some of them look absolutely savage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Whew, thanks Khannie - been emailing quite a few people!

I haven't tried any of them out so please let us know how you get on.

Something I made quite often as a snack. Separate an egg, whisk the white till fluffy, stir the yolk with some cocoa powder and a little sweetener, and maybe a tiny amount of expresso. Fold into the egg white until brown all over. Divide into about four muffin moulds/cupcakes and bake for about 8 minutes, or nuke for 1. You get a sort of chocolate souffle which is very tasty, and four of them are close to the cals of a chocolate digestive.

taconnol wrote: »
    I haven't tried any of them out so please let us know how you get on.

Tried the chocolate cheesecake. Before and after oven pics attached. I didn't have any chocolate milk or chocolate whey, so I subbed in milk, sweetener, cocoa and unflavoured whey. They tasted.....ok. I'm certain they would have been nicer if I'd stuck to the recipe though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

EileenG wrote: »
    My own preference for oats as a snack is to soak some oats in skim milk, leave in the fridge for a couple of hours for it to go soft and dessert-y, then serve with some grated apple and a sprinkle of nuts.
    If you soak em in good quality apple juice for a while it tastes a bit like apple pie. Tastes good, but can't eat too much of it

Advertisement