Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanderlei Moving to Middleweight

Options
  • 17-02-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

Wanderlei Silva talks to MMAWeekly.com about the possibility of moving to the middleweight division and when that move may take place:

“Yeah, I could try because every guy in my division have to cut to 205 and my normal is 208. I’m going to test now… I’m going to cut my weight. Maybe I go to fight in my next fight at 185. I could fight in both divisions; I could fight 185 and 205…. I don’t know what plans the UFC, but I am ready for to fight in June or July.”

Obviously with Silva walking around at 208lbs he could fight in either division so it will be interesting to see who he gets matched up with next. Despite losing 3 of his last 4 fight, The Axe Murderer still appears to have some go left in him and there are quite a few interesting matches still out there for him.

I wonder if the UFC want a Silva vs Silva mega fight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I know I do, I think Shogun will be joining him before too long also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

He looked quite small against Rampage even though he weighed in at 203. I dont think 185 would be a problem for him. I would love to see Wand vs Franklin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I wonder if the UFC want a Silva vs Silva mega fight.

They should have a "Last Name Match" winner keeps the name Silva loser has to change to Smith, Anderson Smith will make him sound like he is named after the matrix and Wanderlei Smith sounds High-Larry-us!

Bet the house on Silva.

Shogun at MW..... that's probably his natural weight class I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Killme00 wrote: »
    He looked quite small against Rampage even though he weighed in at 203. I dont think 185 would be a problem for him. I would love to see Wand vs Franklin.

Franklin fights at 205 now

I think that there's still a few fights at light heavyweight for Wanderlei

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fozzy wrote: »
    Franklin fights at 205 now

I think that there's still a few fights at light heavyweight for Wanderlei

Personally i think Wandy at 185 will be a good thing. Right now the division is kind of devoid of obvious or skilled enough people to take on The Spider.

I think Wandy can reel off a couple of old school performances and get his shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

Dragan wrote: »
    Personally i think Wandy at 185 will be a good thing. Right now the division is kind of devoid of obvious or skilled enough people to take on The Spider.

I think Wandy can reel off a couple of old school performances and get his shot.

I think he needs to go to 185, or do something to change the direction of his fighting career. Cos if he gets onto another fighters highlight reel via brutal knockout he'll be eating out of a straw next time we see him!

I think he needs to go to 185, or do something to change the direction of his fighting career. Cos if he gets onto another fighters highlight reel via brutal knockout he'll be eating out of a straw next time we see him!

I don't know about that to be honest, he had a fantastic fight with Chuck, murdered Techno Viking and got put away by Page simply because Rampage had the better standup and Wandy dropped his hands the silly boy.

Hardly a shame to have his two losses in the UFC to two former Division Champs and one of them being extremely competitive.

I just think the size thing will cost him a lot more in the UFC as those boys just seem to have cutting, overall, down a bit more than in other orgs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8204&zoneid=2 may have the answer:

8204-RichWand_UFC99.jpg

UFC 99 PITS RICH FRANKLIN VS WANDERLEI SILVA
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - by Ken Pishna and Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is set to make its German debut on June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne. While several fights have been rumored for the event over the past couple of months, most have not come to fruition.

MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday, however, was able to confirm through multiple independent sources that former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin and former Pride 205-pound champion Wanderlei Silva have agreed to fight each other at UFC 99.

Franklin has fought his last two bouts at light heavyweight, returning to the division after running into a brick wall named Anderson Silva at middleweight. Even though Wanderlei Silva's fights in the UFC have all been at 205-pounds to this point, he has made public his intention of wanting to move down to the 185-pound division.

"I talk with (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva and... say no problem, I'm down for 185? He say, no problem," Silva said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com, but adding, "I could fight in both divisions; I could fight 185 and 205."

It appears that he may not fight at either weight come June 13. Though it is too soon for bout agreements, sources have indicated that Franklin and Silva have agreed to face each other at a catch weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 195 pounds.

With both fighters coming off of losses – Franklin to Dan Henderson and Silva to Quinton Jackson, each in the 205-pound division – a catch weight fight doesn't really damage either's hopes for a title shot, as each would likely have to win a couple of fights before being considered a contender again.

A catch weight fight is a logical step for Silva to make his transition to the middleweight division a little easier. Walking around at about 208 pounds, he's never really had to deal much with weight cutting in the past, but will obviously have to in order to compete at middleweight.

The UFC has not officially confirmed any bouts yet for Germany, and it is not yet known whether Franklin and Silva will headline the UFC 99 fight card. Considering each fighter's stature in the MMA world, their bout would likely be at least a co-main event.

The only other independently confirmed bout for UFC 99 at this point is a lightweight contest between Spencer Fisher and Caol Uno.

Very apt pic they chose for Rich here. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I wanted to see Silva fight at UFC 100!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Even cutting to 185 Wand is gonna be a bit smaller. I'm fairly sure Franklin has a bigger frame am I right?

fIGHTS AT 195 but yes.

I dont think he is a big MW, but i think that he will find the cut hard

Even cutting to 185 Wand is gonna be a bit smaller. I'm fairly sure Franklin has a bigger frame am I right?

Yeah, Rich is a big boy alright. That said, Wandy has fought a lot of big boys and put them away. I call this for Wandy, i don't think Rich is making the changes that he needs to make to stay competitive.

Yeah, Rich is a big boy alright. That said, Wandy has fought a lot of big boys and put them away. I call this for Wandy, i don't think Rich is making the changes that he needs to make to stay competitive.

How do ya mean? I thought Franklin shaded the decision vs Hendo personally. However his chin may be his weakness against a guy like Wandy.....and vice versa!

How do ya mean? I thought Franklin shaded the decision vs Hendo personally. However his chin may be his weakness against a guy like Wandy.....and vice versa!

I think his wake up call came with his first lose to The Spider, that he needs to be less reliant on the clinch and more reliant on the shoot. His second time agains the Spider was largely a rerun of the first, although he did a bit better.

He lost to Hendo, regardless of how we saw it ( because i agree with you ), simply because Hendo never had to fear the shot.

I think Wandy will go the same way, just too ferocious in the clinch for Rich to be able to execute the game plan he wants to, which against Wandy should to tire him out, take him down and elbow the ****ing piss out of him.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/8417/
    Rumored major UFC match confirmed
    On the sports report tonight on the FOX affiliate in Cincinnati, they said Rich Franklin's management confirmed he would be facing Wanderlei Silva on 6/13 at the UFC's debut show in Cologne, Germany. They said it would probably be a catch weight fight, which means it would be at a weight somewhere between 185 and 205 pounds.

Tis offical

I think his wake up call came with his first lose to The Spider, that he needs to be less reliant on the clinch and more reliant on the shoot. His second time agains the Spider was largely a rerun of the first, although he did a bit better.

He lost to Hendo, regardless of how we saw it ( because i agree with you ), simply because Hendo never had to fear the shot.

I think Wandy will go the same way, just too ferocious in the clinch for Rich to be able to execute the game plan he wants to, which against Wandy should to tire him out, take him down and elbow the ****ing piss out of him.

True. The modern MMA fighter needs to threaten with his stand up both in the form of strikes or takedown attacks unless fighting an elite BJJ guy in which case he has to threaten with strikes and stuffing takedown attempts and REALLY punishing those attempts. Hendo and Franklin both threatened on the feet but Hendo also took him down. That said, Rich did try and take Hendo down but Hendo isn't exactly easy to wrestle against.

Wandy doesn't have the takedowns or takedown defence to trouble Rich in that regard IMO so if Rich wants to take him down then IMO he will. whether or not he decides to will depend I imagine on how hard Wandy hits him in the first couple of mins.

Lookin forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I like Franklin in this fight to be honest. I think Silva's best days are behind him. Not so much because of his age but just because he fought so much in his Pride days and at such a relentless pace. He's beginning to look a little bit shot. Franklin I think will be a bit bigger also.

Uness Silva catches him early which is always possible then I can see Franklin winning a decision.

I like Franklin in this fight to be honest. ..............................

DO NOT MAKE UNFOUNDED ALLEGATIONS AGAINST FIGHTERS. I know it's a common belief amongst some but there are no tests or evidence (bar the lack of tests) to back this up so please refrain from mentioning it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I like Franklin here tbh. Wanderlei's 'hook-hook-hook' every time he's in trouble is not going to work against good technical strikers like Rich, especially since I'd imagine Rich must have a good reach advantage here.
    I doubt Franklin can drop him early either. I'd say this will be an epic stand-up fight, with Silva being the aggressor through-out and Franklin working his angles, keeping the distance and finding a home for his jabs and kicks to claim a decision.
    For basically the same reason I wouldn't even give Wanderlei a chance against Anderson.

• Advertisement

DO NOT MAKE UNFOUNDED ALLEGATIONS AGAINST FIGHTERS. I know it's a common belief amongst some but there are no tests or evidence (bar the lack of tests) to back this up so please refrain from mentioning it. Thanks.

<snip>

Most of us are realists, and the shadow of steroid abuse hangs over the sport of MMA, unfortunately.

But, Rovert you quoted a post telling you "DO NOT MAKE UNFOUNDED ALLEGATIONS AGAINST FIGHTERS." and you do it anyway. :mad:

Any further issues with this, pm me.

Ok lads, unless you have specific proof to back up claims about a fighter using performance enhancers (and while circumstancial evidence may be all you need to make up your minds, it is not enough for a court) then do not make remarks about who you THINK may have been on roids. We'll stick to facts here. If you want to discuss the failed roid tests of Kimo, Barnett, Bonnar, Sherk etc then fire away. But with the others it's innocent until proven guilty even if they look sluggish and slow in America after looking superhuman in Japan.

That is all!

Advertisement