Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 HD TV

• 17-02-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19 timmyG

Hi I recently bought an xbox 360 and want to get a HD TV to play it on. Im looking in the budget range something 19 to 22 inch around €200 maybe. Is there anything I should be looking for or are they all the same in the budget range? Does HDMI make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

getting a 19" or 22" screen defeats the purpose of getting a HD set....if your going for a screen that small get a scabby oul cheap Beko! For proper HD experience ye need at least 40" and a surround sound system to boot...otherwise stay with scabby oul tech!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

timmyG wrote: »
    Hi I recently bought an xbox 360 and want to get a HD TV to play it on. Im looking in the budget range something 19 to 22 inch around €200 maybe. Is there anything I should be looking for or are they all the same in the budget range? Does HDMI make any difference?

Welcome to the forum. To be honest, a 19-22 inch TV will be of no use to you if you want to see the difference between SDTV and HDTV. If you can save up a little more, there are some good value 32 inch TVs that would be great for the Xbox. HDMI does make a massive difference so try to get a TV with a HDMI output.

If you want to just get a 22-inch tv, then HDMI is not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree, 32" is a nice size for starters(A 32" lasted me for a year before i felt compelled to get a 40" 1080p samsung:rolleyes:)

This one is pretty good value and would be nice for HD gaming. A 32" for around 400e represents a lot better value than say a 19" or a 22" for around 200e. Its a way bigger screen

• if your interested ( im not sure if im alowd to do this) i have a samsung 21" lcd tv monitor with hd 1080i that i dont use. its perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

what exactly is hdmi? is that jst for using it as a pc monitor??

and are samsung reliable? i had one blackout on my the other day after only a year of use so im bit skepitcal of getting another one... might go for sony. im currently using an LG 19" while i save!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

HDMI is the newest type of connector and designed solely for High Definition playback. The advantage of it is that is carries Picture and sound. Unlike some other High-Definition compatible cables.

It is supposed to provide the best picture possible as it is digital from start to finish.

As to the real advantages of it - it's up to you. I use the component cables for the picture and the optical out for sound as my Amp does not have HDMI sockets. I would be using the HDMI cable were it not for the design of the xbox that prevents you from using the optical out at the same time as HDMI sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

My 360 doesn't have the HDMI out, although my telly has it :(

I use the component (RGB) cables with the XBOX display resolution set 1080p and have a 32" monitor (works fine).

I don't think there is that big a difference between 1080i and 1080p.

There's no difference really because the Xbox upscales from 720p for all most games so you shouldn't notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

so where does the advantage of the hdmi for the xbox work out if it doesnt have an hdmi out?

im in the process of gettign a new tv for my room as the samsung syncmaster i had blacked out on me.. wanna get a hd tv and bigger than my prev 19"... wanna try maximise the look of the games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Newer Xboxes have HDMI, older ones don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 timmyG

thats good advice i might save up and go for a 32inch then the price of them seems to have gone down lately! just noticed my xbox hasnt got hdmi its the older version got it on ebay for very cheap :D

The component outputs give great quality picture. I use them over HDMI as stated above so I can still have 5.1 sound.

An AMP with HDMI is on my wishlist but until they settle down with versions and (1.1, 1.2a, 1.3 etc) I'm holding off.

Advertisement