Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following on from the puppy worming thread

Options
  • 17-02-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

A lot of people say that puppies are born with worms but I don't understand how.

Surely if the mother is worm-free, the puppies will be too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know why this is, I'm sure someone with more vet/medical knowledge will come on and tell you, but honestly, it is true. ALL puppies have worms, it doesn't matter if the mother is wormed or not. From the best pedigree litter to the little crossbreed from an accidental mating, they all have worms. I have a bitch in rescue at the moment, when she came into us we didn't know she was in pup, so we wormed her at the beginning of December, as we do all dogs that came in. She had pups at the beginning of January, and they have worms. Its not a big issue, as long as you treat the pup. Ours are 6 weeks old now and are on their second lot of worming treatment, they'll be treated again at 8, 10 and 12 weeks, its just part of having a puppy/puppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

As far as I know when a bitch becomes pregnant she carries a certain type of worm larvae called Toxocara canis They are passed on to the pups when there developing in the womb or by the milk later and thats how all pups are born with worms.

There is tho a certain worming plan which can rid/reduce the bitch of theses worms,it would be something you would need to talk to your vet about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Thanks, KhuntChops- that makes sense.

ISDW, I've always known puppies need to be wormed and always have done (our puppy has been wormed every two weeks until she was 12 weeks and is now being wormed once a month as recommended by our vet) but I always thought it was more of a precautionary measure. I haven't noticed anything wriggling around in our pup's poos when I've been picking them up so I kind of presumed she didn't have them and was happy to keep on with the worming course to keep her that way.

Goes to show, you learn something new everyday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thats great that you didn't notice any, it means that whoever you got the pup from wormed them when they should have done. After my pup's first worming dose, it was very apparent that they had worms! I also had 10 8/9 week old pups in the kennels for a couple of weeks, they were wormed for the first time the day before they came to me, and it was like a spaghetti western in their pens, huge amount of worms - yeuch:eek:

Advertisement