Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chocolate cake recipes

• 17-02-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

My daughter is having her birthday party on friday and she wants me to bake her a chocolate cake. Does anyone have any recipes that are not to hard to follow. The last time I attempted to bake a cake it didnt turn out as I would have liked. Actually thats an understatement cause it was a pure disaster. So suggestions would be gratefully accepted. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

This is a brilliant recipe, from the now out of print Stork/McDonnells Good Food Cookbook. It's the first cake I ever made, it's rich and chocolatey and brilliant as a birthday cake.

It's an all-in-one method, so you can even make it in the food processor if you'd like, just throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well!

Devil's Food Cake

Step 1: PREHEAT the oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2/ 300F.

Ingredients
    • 6oz/175g of Butter (DO NOT USE MARGARINE)
    • 6oz/175g Caster Sugar (DO NOT USE GRANULATED)
    • 2 Large eggs
    • 6oz/175g golden syrup
    • 2oz/50g ground almonds
    • 6oz/175g cream/plain flour sieved with
    • 2.5oz/65g Cocoa
    • 1/2 level teaspoon of bread soda (bicarb of soda) mixed into 175ml/6fl.oz milk.
    Tin: Prepare a DEEP 8-inch tin, line with parchment. Even tin foil will do if you are stuck.

Method
    Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well (for 2-3 mins if by hand). The mixture should drop off a spoon easily when done, and will look really chocolatey.

Scoop it into the tin. This will be a deep cake.

Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1.75-2 hours. It is at a low temp in the oven so the cake stays moist. Keep an eye on it after 1.5 hours. Test it by poking a skewer into it and seeing if it comes out clean (without any goopy mixture on it).

When done, turn out on a wire tray and leave to cool. This will take a few hours.

After it's cool, it's time to ice it!

Chocolate Fudge Icing

• 2oz/50g Butter
    • 3 Tablespoons Milk
    • 1 Rounded tablespoon cocoa
    • 8oz/225g Icing Sugar, sieved.
    Place the Butter, milk and cocoa in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the stork has melted. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL, or it will be fecked. Leave to cool for 5 mins.

Pour the cooled mixture into the icing sugar and beat until smooth.

Next, slather it all over the cake, top and sides. If you'd like to smooth it out, just get some cling film, place it over the iced cake and smooth with your hand. Put smarties/jelly beans/sweeties on top for decoration or to spell out Happy Birthday.

This cake keeps really well in a tin for about a week! Enjoy! :)

Oh, bear in mind you can get all the ingredients in Aldi bar the bread soda and ground almonds, so it need not be too expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Wow that sounds great and quite do-able. Even for me!! Thanks will give it a go.

Advertisement