Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what type of found for hollow core?

• 17-02-2009 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all, fellow builders.

I am in the planning process (late stages)

Its a bungalow with say converted upstairs with velux.

After much deliberation we are going to put in a concrete second floor, either T-Beams or actual H-Core.

my question is, what type of found can i put in. I know it will require like block on flat where beams/h-core is applying pressure,

but can I still have a strip found as oppose to raft..

I always thougt that a raft was for poor land.

Im on a bed of lime stone. . Grave/sandy/limestone.

appreciate a few comments.

Ps, my sister is paying through the roof for a raft with engineers/steel etc. ., I keep asking why why why.

LNB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

It depends on your ground conditions . I have used hollow core many times with strip footings

Your engineer will decide based on a site assessment - trial holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

ok thanks,

is it much cheaper to go strip? suppose you had any size bungalow, what would the difference be on a strip for it versus raft?

LNB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Strip foundations are usually fine, subject to Engineer spec.

Conc hollow core slabs have other extra expenses too:-
    • Steel lintols on all window and door opes (inner leaf)
    • Steel lintols over certain internal door opes.
    • Column or steel hangers around stair ope.
    • 215mm wide wall in centre of structure, to support 2 slabs.
    Could be alot of cash just for an attic - IMO only worth considering if attic can be converted to Habital rooms.

Advertisement