Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 screen broken

• 17-02-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

broke the screen on my n95 there a few mins ago, have to say it is very fragile. anyone any idea how much it will cost to fix? very pissed cos i loved this phone :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cracked the lcd itself and not working, or the housing broke and tore the ribbon cable?

If it is just the lcd damaged, you could buy one online and swap it out yourself. Its not difficult. All you need is a T5 and T6 screwdriver. If its still in warranty you might not want to do it yourself though will void your warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i think its just the screen, it still lights up but there is no picture whatsoever.

i got it unlocked, does that mean the warranty is invalid?

T5 and T6 screwdrivers, they are the little jewelers screw drivers?

seems to be common enough, done a quick google there and found this http://www.avforums.com/forums/mobile-phones-pdas/673737-n95-screen-problem.html

thats almost the exact same thing as happened to me, it was in my hoodie pocket and i think i banged it as i crossed a fence. they are very very fragile.

lg123 wrote: »
    i think its just the screen, it still lights up but there is no picture whatsoever.

i got it unlocked, does that mean the warranty is invalid?

T5 and T6 screwdrivers, they are the little jewelers screw drivers?

Unlocking can invalid the warranty if its done using certain methods unofficially.

Im not sure if they are jewellers screwdrivers, but they can be gotten online in lots of places and are very very cheap. If you buy a lcd screen good chance the screwdrivers will come with it in anycase.

it was not done in an official nokia or network shop so i guess that invalids it, back street shop job.

found one online there for £33 http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=119983

will pop into town tomorrow and see how much they will charge.

• Advertisement

I dont think you will find it cheaper in a shop. They might fit it for you tough, which you may prefer. Let us know when you get it if you need advice to fit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

This happened to me a while ago. It cost about 70 or 80 in the Nokia repair center on Dawson St

davton wrote: »
    I dont think you will find it cheaper in a shop. They might fit it for you tough, which you may prefer. Let us know when you get it if you need advice to fit it.

will do thanks. i imagine its just a matter of opening it up and disconnecting the old one and popping in the new one?

lg123 wrote: »
    will do thanks. i imagine its just a matter of opening it up and disconnecting the old one and popping in the new one?

Yes thats it. Its simply plug out the old and plug in the new. It connects to under the small keypad. The screen isn't even held into place. It should take 5 minutes tops. Also i forgot its just the T5 you will need because for only an lcd replace you only have to take the front plate, if its a ribbon damage you need both drivers.

Using the T5 take all 4 screws from the back of the screen, will need to slide both sides. Then the front plates comes off. Lift the keypad buttons from the top ( they stay attached from the bottom) Disconnect the screen, note you need to pull out away from the keypad rather than pulling up. Then do the reverse. Good luck

thanks for all the replies, i bought a screen on ebay in the end, came out around €20 delivered. i eventually got around to fitting it this morning and ended up 'ringing' one of the screws, i am not very good at delicate work like this. i had to drill the top of the screw out in the end. i found this tutorial on youtube which was a great help in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEOaB-mlSI

hopefully this one will last a little longer than the last.

• Advertisement

you got it sorted, good stuff. Saved your self a few quid

Advertisement