Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homework!!

Options
  • 17-02-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Please vote on this subject:D

Im curious to know what others think:)

Do you like homework after school?
    Would you prefer longer school days and no homework?
    Do you dislike homework after school?
    Would you prefer longer school days with homework?
    No view on this matter.

Personally I'm sick to the teeth of homework and am enjoying the week off from it. It just makes the day stress free!!

Homework - whats your view? 66 votes

Don't mind homework
    0% 0 votes
    Would prefer no homework
    48% 32 votes
    Longer school day with no homework
    28% 19 votes
    Longer school day with homework
    16% 11 votes
    No view on the subject!
    6% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

When i saw this under "parenting" i thought i would find a Parent's view on their children doing homework....then again i'm a student so i can't stand the stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

as parent with 3 schoolgoing children at primary and secondary, have to say generally don't mind it. You use it to teach them to work on their own, to plan their time, etc. Its fairly essential in my mind to have homework. How else are children going to learn how to study for themselves as they get older and face exams and college. What I do object to in primary is when a teacher gives inordinate amounts of homework which really just defeats the whole purpose as by the time the child is finished, they are just exhausted. Teachers not correcting homework is just unacceptable too.

I do enjoy no homework days and certainly this week is welcome at primary level. At secondary level, i'm at stage where I don't have to check anymore. I just help out when they get stuck and generally they get on with it. Mocks start next week for eldest and she is so organised - study every morning, break for town for afternoon and study again in evening. She has always been organised in her study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Lynskey wrote: »
    When i saw this under "parenting" i thought i would find a Parent's view on their children doing homework....then again i'm a student so i can't stand the stuff :)

Im a parent of two children with special needs, and its quite frustrating at times, never mind for the children who have been doing school work since 9.20am!!

(Were lucky at ages 6 & 8, if we close the 8 yr old's books at 5pm and shes home at 3.30!)

oh well wrote: »
    as parent with 3 schoolgoing children at primary and secondary, have to say generally don't mind it. You use it to teach them to work on their own, to plan their time, etc. Its fairly essential in my mind to have homework. How else are children going to learn how to study for themselves as they get older and face exams and college. What I do object to in primary is when a teacher gives inordinate amounts of homework which really just defeats the whole purpose as by the time the child is finished, they are just exhausted. Teachers not correcting homework is just unacceptable too.

I do enjoy no homework days and certainly this week is welcome at primary level. At secondary level, i'm at stage where I don't have to check anymore. I just help out when they get stuck and generally they get on with it. Mocks start next week for eldest and she is so organised - study every morning, break for town for afternoon and study again in evening. She has always been organised in her study.

Looking at it from that perspective, I agree totally with the principle of Homework, and like you said there's nothing worse than them getting too much to cope with, as they are tired enough coming home - and even worse indeed if the teacher then doesn't bother to correct it when one is trying to encourage them to do their homework to avoid being kept in!!:(

(But that said, I still prefer no homework!! Kids are still young and should be able to enjoy the afternoons).:)

Just letting ye know, I wont be able to respond for a while as im away, but will try and get online where I am.

This is a very interesting Poll, thanks to all for replying as it gives one 'food for thought'!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I wish there was a home work club running on a regular bases in the primary school tbh.
    Home work is a huge big bear and incredible frustrating for my 8 year old and 11 year old( who has aspergers disorder ).
    It's gotten to the stage with them were it has has to be done in shifts with each of them
    taking turns at the table and taking nearly an hour each.

It's one of those situations were they need to be able to work on thier own but be
    supervised and help when stuck but they will try and make me answer the questions
    rather then figuring it out themselves.

I do try and tie it into certain rewards, they can't do X or Y until it is done but they
    need time to decompress after a day at school and trying to get all the home work
    done before dinner can be struggle. There have been so many frayed tempers and tears
    when they went back after the christmast break due to homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I have three kids, and hate homework with a vengence. With my oldest and youngest it has been like trying to pull teeth getting the blooming stuff done. Like Thaed I have often been sat at the kitchen table supervision homework for up to an hour. My DS has dsylexia and homework has been a bug bear with him all his school life.

With my middle child she has simply just got on with it, and I have never ever had to supervise her or help her, and she is at junior cert level now.

So if all three of mine were like her homework would not bother me .... but life is never that nice.

With my youngest now - aged 9 - I have taken to paying her a euro if she gets her homework done within a half an hour. I will keep this up till I feel she is into the habit of doing it within a reasonable amount of time.

But in all honesty .... I am not a teacher - nor did I ever want to be - so I wish I could just be a parent when my kids are at home. There are many many nicer things we could be doing that yet more work. I dont like my husband bringing home work so why should I like my kids having to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

The point of homework is that it involves the parent in the child's learning and education. I think this is a very very good thing. It achieves many things, inlcuding,

1. Your child get's dedicated time and attention from the parent
    2. Lets the parent know where the child is at and what he/she is learning

A longer school day will never accomplish these things, a teacher can't give your child the dedicated attention you can. I think it is vitally important for children to get support from home with their homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I HATE homework..
    Luckily my mom has most of the writing homework done with her when i get home, My daughter is such a daydreamer and it gets really frustrating trying to get her to concentrate on just getting it done..
    Once i come home from work it tiem for dinner and once that's done, i do the tables, irish spellings, shared reading, reading, and prayers..which nearly takes us up to bedtime.
    So on monday to friday evenings seem to be completely taken up with homework and not much else.

It has been alot easier this week without it..

But in saying that..I do think that if she didnt do homework i wouldnt know that, she needs extra help with maths, is great at reading but goes a little too fast, hates irish spelling, but is good with her prayers.
    etc..

Thaedydal wrote: »

It's one of those situations were they need to be able to work on thier own but be
    supervised and help when stuck but they will try and make me answer the questions
    rather then figuring it out themselves.

I do try and tie it into certain rewards, they can't do X or Y until it is done but they
    need time to decompress after a day at school and trying to get all the home work
    done before dinner can be struggle. There have been so many frayed tempers and tears
    when they went back after the christmast break due to homework.

You have taken a page out of my Diary!!!:eek: I feel so helpless at times, and giving them the answer is not the solution to their problems. If we did, then the school wont realise the problems that they have as we would be covering up for them. Catch 22, as sometimes it is easier to tell them the answer than to see them in tears and give up, tempers flying books flying etc:(

• Advertisement

di11on wrote: »
    The point of homework is that it involves the parent in the child's learning and education. I think this is a very very good thing. It achieves many things, inlcuding,

A longer school day will never accomplish these things, a teacher can't give your child the dedicated attention you can. I think it is vitally important for children to get support from home with their homework.

Totally agree, but put a cap on the amount of homework, especially if they have learning problems, as parents are not teachers, and that kind of help should be given by the professionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

1. I would rather spend dedicated time with my child on more interesting things - like arts and crafts - baking - sewing - playing - having fun together. Than pushing them into doing something that is repetive and a chore.

2. I am with my children each and every day, as are all parents when it comes right down to it. So if you are not already aware of where you child is at in their life. Well - its time to review your parenting skills.

1. I would rather spend dedicated time with my child on more interesting things - like arts and crafts - baking - sewing - playing - having fun together. Than pushing them into doing something that is repetive and a chore.
    Not everything of value in life is great fun, but that doesn't mean such things should be despised. Our children's education is vitally important and sets them up for life. As parents, should we not be involved in this critical aspect of their lives?

Even more so if the task is not that fun - should we not participate to show them what they are doing is valuable and worthwhile and that it will stand to them in the end?

As a child, when I'd have difficulty with my Irish homework, my dad would start off on a rant "what a waste of time, dead language... blah blah blah". If he had, instead, made an effort to help me, maybe I'd be able to communicate in my native language - but, sadly, I can't.

I believe as parents, our interest and participation (or lack of) in our children's education sends a signal that has a profound impact on our children's learning. I believe they need to know that what they are doing is valuable, that we support them and that we're there to help if they need it.
    2. I am with my children each and every day, as are all parents when it comes right down to it. So if you are not already aware of where you child is at in their life. Well - its time to review your parenting skills.
    There is knowing where they are at in life and where they are at with respect to specific things like reading, writing, mathematics etc. Johnny needs help getting his 3s the right way around... Johnny has problems solving quadratic equations... etc. If I know these things, I can help and give my child a better chance. It might not, necessarily, be pleasant or easy, I may not even have the time - but if I help, will it not be better than if I didn't?

The last thing we need to be doing is communicating to our children that learning is a waste of time and not something that's worth spending time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Femmy wrote: »
    My daughter is such a daydreamer and it gets really frustrating trying to get her to concentrate on just getting it done..
    :D Sounds like me when I was a kid. I'd try to motivate myself with the chance of going outside after the homework, but meh. Thursday, always got the homework done quickly, so that I could goto Scouts :P

Reward = profit ;)

Alas, homework allows you to work through something a your own pace, which can be good. Children won't do this with free will, but they will if given the task by "homework".

Not everything of value in life is great fun, but that doesn't mean such things should be despised. Our children's education is vitally important and sets them up for life. As parents, should we not be involved in this critical aspect of their lives?

I do this every day, educating my children does not start and end with home work.
    Even more so if the task is not that fun - should we not participate to show them what they are doing is valuable and worthwhile and that it will stand to them in the end?

There are plenty of other things which I have to make them do which are not fun, not having to make them do home work for some days two hours I find to be counterproductive to them liking what they learn in school.
    As a child, when I'd have difficulty with my Irish homework, my dad would start off on a rant "what a waste of time, dead language... blah blah blah". If he had, instead, made an effort to help me, maybe I'd be able to communicate in my native language - but, sadly, I can't.

Nothing stopping you doing that when you got older or now.
    I believe as parents, our interest and participation (or lack of) in our children's education sends a signal that has a profound impact on our children's learning. I believe they need to know that what they are doing is valuable, that we support them and that we're there to help if they need it.

And I can do that and indeed do that in what I consider to be more productive ways then what can be the battle ground at the kitchen table.

Numerous times when they comes in from shool and have a snack they tell me what they did in school and what intrested them and we get books from
    the library, look things up on the internet, watch documentorys and talk about the topics.

Both their teacher have commented on how we have been supplementing their education and how they are the better for it.

Please do not assume that those of us parents who detest homework
    undermine our children's formal schooling by wringing our hands and rolling our eyes when we and the are forced to do it.
    There is knowing where they are at in life and where they are at with respect to specific things like reading, writing, mathematics etc. Johnny needs help getting his 3s the right way around... Johnny has problems solving quadratic equations... etc.

Again I know this by having an interest in my children and am in touch with
    their teachers more then the twice a year meetings.
    The last thing we need to be doing is communicating to our children that learning is a waste of time and not something that's worth spending time on.

That is a very large presumption you are making there and I for one am offended by it.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Alas, homework allows you to work through something a your own pace, which can be good. Children won't do this with free will, but they will if given the task by "homework".

At their own pace sounds well and good but not when that can be 3 hours.

There are certain children that are just not suited to traditional homework imho.

if a child doesn't do homework how will they learn to cope with homework and study as they get older and move into secondary school. Homework should certainly be set to the level of the child and his/her abilities. There is no point at all in making a child with learning difficulties spend hours and hours trying to learn spellings or tables when they might be struggling with basic other skills.

Of couse I'd love to have no homework and send my time with the kids in more leisurely persuits learning cookery, crafts, sports, whatever but I believe these things have to be balanced out with the homework side.

I've often had to take work home with me (as has my partner) - its a drag but it has to be done. The kids see it as normal.

Don't think homework clubs would work in some cases where parents aren't just that interested and would never look at a child's copies if they didn't have to supervise the homework. The parents who are going to be interested will always check homework whether its done at a club or not. Parents who aren't that interested ........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

At their own pace sounds well and good but not when that can be 3 hours.

There are certain children that are just not suited to traditional homework imho.
    Agree 100%

Well, back to school again today, and back to reality!

Hope they start off slowly with homework, or there will be tears on the first day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Luckily enough, my daughter is in junior infants and is still enthusiastic about homework, hopefully this will last for a good long while.

It's easy at the moment because she gets a little bit of writing and a quick book to read and it's all so new for us and it's exciting. I'm dreading the times to come when she has two or three hours of different stuff, though.

I remember when I was a lad, sometimes having three or four hours of homework to do before I could even think about starting any studying. That was crazy, each subject teacher would dole out a chunk of work to do without checking to see what other teachers had given us that day. To be honest, I always assumed that kind of thing had been sorted at this stage and that there was some kind of cap introduced so that kids didn't have a mountain of work to do at home.

I'm all for the idea of homework, I think kids should be working at home. It gives parents a chance to monitor where they might be falling behind or excelling in and it gives the teacher a chance to see how the child works outside the classroom environment. Like all things though, it should be in moderation. I don't agree with tying kids to a kitchen table for two to three hours a night, that's just torture for the kids and the parents.

I do this every day, educating my children does not start and end with home work...

Of course not - but I believe it's a very important part of it and that our attitute towards it as parents has the potential to either help or hinder our children.

Our DD is in senior infants and up untill recently, she's been getting loads of colouring-in to do. It's dead boring for us, supervising and her, doing it - but because we know it's essential for building up muscle strength in her hands so she can write properly, we know it's important and valuable. A huge part of life will involve doing repetitive things that might be uninteresting in themselves, but learning to do these things develop character and skills which are the building blocks for the more important things to follow.

I suppose all I'm saying is that while it's a pain, I believe it's valuable and necessary.

Obviously there's a balance to be found and if a young child has 3 hours of work to do, that seems excessive. Teachers don't always get it right either. Our DD's teacher seems not to be in tune with our girl's reading ability and sends her home with stuff way below her level... so teachers don't always seem to be able to judge what's appropriate.
    Nothing stopping you doing that when you got older or now.
    Goodness, that's hardly the point. The point is, had I more support at home, I might have been more interested and performed better.
    Di11on wrote:
    That is a very large presumption you are making there and I for one am offended by it.
    Apologies - what I should have said was "Homework" instead of "Learning" - I know they aren't the same thing, but I guess the point of this thread is about to what extent one relates to the other and I for one believe that Homework plays a very important role in our children's learning experience.

• Advertisement

There is a big difference in colouring in at senior infants as home work and what is expected of second class an beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm not a parent, in fact I'm only 19, but what's all this about supervising homework and doing homework with your children?

When I was in school, my parents never set aside time to do homework with me, I did it on my own. They would offer me help if I asked, and were enthusiastic about my learning, and they'd do things like quiz me on my spellings or tables which I had to have learned for the next day, but they wouldn't sit down with me at a set time and go through it with me, helping me with every answer.

I'd consider homework to be largely something done independently, not with a parent. Encourage them to come to you if they really need help, but only after trying to work it out themselves first and making some attempt at it.

Now I'm no expert on education, but I have done very well academically, and I have seen many people over the years who have simply lacked the ability to work on their own or study in any proper manner. I think that developing a sense of independence in relation to schoolwork and learning early on is vital, and this starts with learning to take responsibility for getting homework done at an early age.

Anyway, that's just my €0.02.

good post JC 2K3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From a teacher's point of view, homework is to encourage and develop independent learning. While I can see parents possibly needing to be actively involved with some younger children, as JC 2K3 says, there's no need later on, in fact it defeats the whole point if the work is not done alone.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I'm not a parent, in fact I'm only 19, but what's all this about supervising homework and doing homework with your children?

You think that kids can be left in a room on their own and will just do their work ? Maybe when they reach a certain age but currently doing that with my 8 year old means she will be at the kitchen table for 3 hours.

Supervising as in being in the same room so they can ask questions.
    I refuse to sit at the table with them but will be doing other tasks
    in the kitchen so I am on hand.
    When I was in school, my parents never set aside time to do homework with me, I did it on my own. They would offer me help if I asked, and were enthusiastic about my learning, and they'd do things like quiz me on my spellings or tables which I had to have learned for the next day, but they wouldn't sit down with me at a set time and go through it with me, helping me with every answer.

That is supervising homework, being about and available.
    I'd consider homework to be largely something done independently, not with a parent. Encourage them to come to you if they really need help, but only after trying to work it out themselves first and making some attempt at it.

Absolutely as the work they get to do at home is essentially review work
    and they will have already ideally covered the material in class, but every child can
    get stuck or cant' grasp different concepts at different times.
    Now I'm no expert on education, but I have done very well academically, and I have seen many people over the years who have simply lacked the ability to work on their own or study in any proper manner. I think that developing a sense of independence in relation to schoolwork and learning early on is vital, and this starts with learning to take responsibility for getting homework done at an early age.

Yes but getting a child to that stage can be a struggle, maybe you will find out the other side of it for yourself one day :)

Have you ever thought to ask your parents what their side of your homework
    experience was ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Obviously there's a balance to be found and if a young child has 3 hours of work to do, that seems excessive. Teachers don't always get it right either. Our DD's teacher seems not to be in tune with our girl's reading ability and sends her home with stuff way below her level... so teachers don't always seem to be able to judge what's appropriate.

Dillon, IME the homework is set at a level that the majority of children in the class can master so if your little one is ahead of the posse then do you not think she would benefit more from half an hour of supplemental learning (as per Thaedydal) rather than an hour of colouring in etc.

The system (not just homework) fails to address the educational needs of those at both extremes of the spectrum... and I think this is where the children would really benefit from supplemental work rather than homework.

littlebug wrote: »
    Dillon, IME the homework is set at a level that the majority of children in the class can master so if your little one is ahead of the posse then do you not think she would benefit more from half an hour of supplemental learning (as per Thaedydal) rather than an hour of colouring in etc.

The system (not just homework) fails to address the educational needs of those at both extremes of the spectrum... and I think this is where the children would really benefit from supplemental work rather than homework.

Good point Littlebug!! I agree there.

Well, day 2 and theyre a little better than yesterday. Himself had no trouble today, but then again had no maths. Herself hasn't even started yet....so will c how it goes.

As has been mentioned above, one needs to supervise homework at these ages (almost 7 and 9), as otherwise one of two things will happen:
    1 - homework not done
    2 - homework done but incomplete resulting in extra work the next day.

My parents never helped with homework - sometimes if I was stuck I'd ask my mum to explain and if she couldn't she told me to close the book and ask the teacher the next day to explain. In those days things seemed a lot less pressurised in class and teachers had the time to help you out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I hate the whole homework thing, I'd rather they spent a little more time in school, and spent time revising at the end of the day there rather than having to do work at home.

I've been through 13 years of it at this stage and I'm sick to the back teeth of it!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have a child in First Class and, for now, don't mind the homework. The bit I find frustrating is trying to get him to concentrate as he gets a bit giddy.

I find it good in that it keeps me up to date with what he is learning in school as the scamp tells me nothing!!! He thinks he tells me, but he doesn't and all of the Mums have to keep each other updated with what the children are saying at home for us all to get a good picture of what is going on during the day :pac:

I only have one child for homework at the moment, that does make it a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

littlebug wrote: »

To my surprise (child in first class) the teacher split them into groups the other day and gave the first group extra maths homework. My son was in this group, and I am relieved as he has been complaining about being bored and finished his work and having to wait for other kids etc. I think, when the faster kids are finished their work, they colour or "go asleep", very frustrating for a high energy child like mine :(

I don't think this is official streaming by any means, but at least the Teacher is trying to cater for all of the children, and I appreciate her effort to do so :)

Advertisement