Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homework!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    To my surprise (child in first class) the teacher split them into groups the other day and gave the first group extra maths homework. My son was in this group, and I am relieved as he has been complaining about being bored and finished his work and having to wait for other kids etc. I think, when the faster kids are finished their work, they colour or "go asleep", very frustrating for a high energy child like mine :(

I don't think this is official streaming by any means, but at least the Teacher is trying to cater for all of the children, and I appreciate her effort to do so :)

Fair play to the teacher!! Thats good work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In an ideal world, there might be no homework. However , we live in a world of 30+ students in a class, many with extra needs ,perhaps those who do not have enough English to cope. Hence the homework is consolidating work done at school, that in a class of 20 (as promised before the last elections),would be perfected at school .

In an ideal world, there might be no homework. However , we live in a world of 30+ students in a class, many with extra needs ,perhaps those who do not have enough English to cope. Hence the homework is consolidating work done at school, that in a class of 20 (as promised before the last elections),would be perfected at school .

I agree. And it doesn't look like class sizes will ever decrease as its the last thing on their mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

It really depends on the age of the children imho. If we were to live in a perfect world primary school children below first class shouldnt have homework, from first class on would have minimal homework but would have 1 hour every day added to the school day for study time to learn things like spelling, times table. An inviorment where they can see other children learning and be more motivated by that. After all its the school who are ment to teach your children, this should be part of their job imho to teach them and show them how to study.

when it comes to secondary school they should have that hour as PART of their school day to do the learning side of it and also have homework to teach them to do it by themselves. A project should be set once a month, which would give them the entire month to research it, which is what we all have to do in life (adhere to deadlines, research stuff and learn to work independantly).

Most children would be sick to the back teeth of school by the time they come home so keeping the homework minimal would keep the motivation there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Projects would be good, except for the lastminute brigade..pity the poor parents!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

my opinion on homework is this
    If they cant do it at home themselves it is the teachers fault for not teaching them how to do it.
    A teacher gets well paid to teach, i am not a teacher so there fore what would i know about teaching a child maths, Irish or any academic subject for that matter!
    A parent teaches you about life and how to live it, a teacher teaches you what he/she qualified for! or sometimes not:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Some kids naturally struggle with certain subjects.
    That might go un noticed in the classroom, so while I hate homework I am glad of it in a way, as I know what my needs help with her maths.

Cant believe I started this thread in 2009!!!

Just an update - I kept my son back in third class, he is 9 and wont be 10 till next April, so had the age in his favour. There was no way he would have coped with 4th Class. The first month back to school there were the usual tears at homework - couldn't do it was his attitude. He still wants me to sit with him and help him with his written work and his maths, and I often have to write in sums, or he just gives up and wont do the answers or any of it. Its after easing off thankfully but he still wont do much for me. He wont do tables or reading. If he cant do something I tell him to close the book and ask his teacher the next day. Mostly the teacher hasn't even corrected any of his effort as she doesn't look at the homework:mad:

My daughter is now in 6th Class and getting on really well with her work. She just gets on with it. Although she never did tables or spellings, she is very good at spellings, and I feel she does enough of it in school without me trying to drill her about tables as well in the evening. Im sure it will come back to bite her in secondary when she's stuck in maths class trying to come up with the numbers:(

Were still in the Services - getting help for their needs - they are both on the Autism Spectrum, have ADHD/ADD and ODD.

I have learned to relax about the homework - if its not done, its up to the school to deal with it (and mostly they don't bother!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I haven't read the replies. But I don't mind homework as long as it's not excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I dread homework time, I have two boys 6 and 8. Before I use to have awful trouble trying to get them to concentrate on simple tasks, sometimes they could be sitting doing homework for 1hr30mins the frustration that built up was huge.

Now I have introduced a "star" chart and I am motivating them to get their homework done within a 25-30 min time frame and if they get it done by that time they get a star. I have to admit it is working a treat and I have extended this to giving them "stars" for any good behavior. I would recommend this method to any parents out there having trouble with unruly children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Where did you get that star chart PlainP? I'd love something like that for my lad - stickers and stars work so well for him in school as a motivational tool, and I used to have something when he was a toddler...must introduce it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I just made up my own by buying card and stars in tescos they are very cheap. I made a calendar of the month and have them put their own stars on for each day. They actually enjoy looking at what they have achieved for the week or the whole month and I organise treats for them when they make up a full quota.

I hate mondays as we get the most homework on that day. Yesterday my 9 yr old son spent 2.5 hrs doing homework. Started at 4 with maths, stopped at half five for dinner, continued at half 6 with maths again til 7, and then went on to Irish and English writing which brought us up to 7.30.

Ridiculous:mad:

Whats worse is that ive noticed on a Tuesday when hes home, that the english and irish writing hasn't been corrected at times - so all the hassle for nothing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 4 year old started homework yesterday, he refused to do 2 parts of it.... will have his iep at the end of the week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mumof2 wrote: »
    I hate mondays as we get the most homework on that day. Yesterday my 9 yr old son spent 2.5 hrs doing homework. Started at 4 with maths, stopped at half five for dinner, continued at half 6 with maths again til 7, and then went on to Irish and English writing which brought us up to 7.30.

Ridiculous:mad:

Whats worse is that ive noticed on a Tuesday when hes home, that the english and irish writing hasn't been corrected at times - so all the hassle for nothing:mad:

The point of homework is to test the student to see if they understood what was taught during the day, so it is an important ritual. However, no child should be 2.5hrs doing homework. Presuming there are no external reasons why it is taking so long (TV etc), you should have a chat with the teacher.

There are no problems homework-wise with my child, but when I found it was taking more than an hour to finish and she was fully concentrated on it, I spoke to her teacher. She said in her opinion 40 minutes was enough and if I was happy to sign off at that point she was happy also.

The important thing is that your child has an education and that includes some social time outside of school.

I find the teacher doesn't always check work immediately.

ash23 wrote: »
    I haven't read the replies. But I don't mind homework as long as it's not excessive.
    As far as I remember, you don't mind homework because your childminder does it with your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

silly wrote: »
    As far as I remember, you don't mind homework because your childminder does it with your kids.

I take it you didn't read much of this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056387443

Ayla wrote: »

I take it you didn't read much of this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056387443

I did. I posted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I did. I posted on it.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, reread your post & realized that I had read it wrong the first time around. You were responding directly to Ash23 instead of waxing theoretical (ie: "you" in the general sense). Apologies, & I retract my queries.

Ayla wrote: »
    I did. I posted on it.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, reread your post & realized that I had read it wrong the first time around. You were responding directly to Ash23 instead of waxing theoretical (ie: "you" in the general sense). Apologies, & I retract my queries.
    No problem.
    I actually shouldnt have brought it up.
    Very bitchy on my part.
    Each to their own and all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement