Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk 1960 to 2000

Options
  • 17-02-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Set your minds thinking

Dorethy's Henrys Shop
    First and Second House pictures at the Adelphi - what time ?
    Bella Bakers
    Ronnie Rawson Band
    Wards in Park Street
    Handy Stores
    Skating in Blackrock

Well come on comments ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

What are you looking for here ? Im confused as to what info you want ? please clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree with Sarge. What do you want? We had a nostalgia thread before but it discussed things about the town.
    I could start listing the shops in Clanbrassil street: The Eimear Bakery, Dan Leaveys, McCauls...To what end?
    The Market House, The De La Salle Boys Band, The Barrack Street Railway depot...
    What about Handy Stores? It's still there. As is Pat Hollands, Mulherns, Callans...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

ganga wrote: »
    Set your minds thinking

Dorethy's Henrys Shop
    First and Second House pictures at the Adelphi - what time ?
    Bella Bakers
    Ronnie Rawson Band
    Wards in Park Street
    Handy Stores
    Skating in Blackrock

Well come on comments ?

I don't know Dorothy Henry's shop but remember when Tony Heinz's shop in McSwiney St was Ann Henry's:). I don't remember times Adelphi films were on but do remember when there used to be little pictures of the film displayed outside, we used to run over to see them when passing.
    My mam came to Dundalk from Cavan when she was 17 in 1956 to work in Peter Ward's in Park St (there was a Paddy Ward's in Park St too). She used to cook upstairs in the house for the family, she had to go to the Tech to learn to cook as she couldn't boil an egg when she arrived...quite a daunting task to cook for a big family, starters, main courses and desserts, fry ups for breakfast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ganga

Sorry everybody - I was a bit vague with that thread - What I was looking for was people with fond memories and stories of old Dundalk. I just used these as examples to set people thinking.

For example first house pictures at the Adelphi was seven o' clock and second house was nine o' clock. This routine lasted for years and you could almost set you watch by it. You knew you were grown up when you were allowed to go to the second house.

Handy Stores was available for just about anything you could think of. Dorethy Henry's was in Park Drive and she was the sister of Evan Henry, well known electrical retailer and electrician.

As you can see I just want to know your memories about various old places around the town.

I can even remeber when you could not go in or out of Dundalk without going over or under a bridge - now I am giving my age away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

I remember Ronnie's band, the last day of the novena isnt the same without him. It was very good for all the young fella's from the surrounding areas. although his second name was Roslan.

How about the Variety Stores, i used to love that shop, got a taxi last year and the man that used to own it was driving the taxi!!!

Handy Stores still there, it will be a sad day when that closes. poor bobby the dog died along time ago :(

Remember when Phil Lynchs was on the main street, i would get my christmas clothes every year in it....pepe jeans and a levi or pepe top :D

4 Laterns, oh i loved the chicken box and milkshake.

Golden Discs in the Old shopping Centre...i remember queing for hours to get boyzone tickets (when they played in the regional college)

Pa's Restuarant, loved the chicken strips with the honey mustard sauce!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ganga

Your right Orls81

The name of the band was Ronnie Roslan - a lot of young lads learned to play music there and went on to join other bands, especially in the 60's.

Some old Dundalk showbands benefited from this.

Keep up the good memories like St. Gerard's Novena - a real tradition and alone brings back some memories like walking beside the Rampart river on the way there. Remember catching pinnigins there with a bamboo stick, a round piece of wire and an old nylon stocking.

The bamboo was bought in Lawless Seed shop at the square from Tootsie McKeown, a great Dundalk footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My nan who was from McSwiney St called that shop Ann Henry's. Are you sure it was Dorothy? Maybe they were sisters.

Alot of people still attend the Novena which is nice to see.

Im reletively young (27), so alot of my memories arent very old.

I knew Ronnie, and he was a lovely man, he would take that band aound pubs on a christmas eve, and all the money they made would be divided among all the young fella's, nobody would do that now!

I also remember the Adelphi cinema, i used to go to it on a Sunday, i still remember the lady that sold the tickets, and the man that took them. Also the wee tiny sweet shop in the middle --- good times!!

How about Malloca's in Park Street, nicest onion rings i've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

sitting in the imperial for 4 hours after school with i pot of tea shared amongst 14 people !

circuits of the top floor old shopping centre

top drawer..........fancy pages !

going to b&m stores at the square for 'messages' and being allowed to buy a 'boost' with the change..............mm boost..whatever happened to them.

peter hughes on park street and the rows of sweets, and the constantly watching twins who' d follow you round. i can still smell the shop !

Oh Top Drawer, i would always get new fancy page pad on a friday, then rush into school on Monday to swap them around. life really was good back then, didnt have a clue about sex and stuff like that!!

The old imperiel was much better!!

Peter Hughes's....rings a bell, where abouts was it exactly?

Oh, and man that swept the floor in the old shopping centre, chasing all the young people away with the big brush. He's still there, and the brush still scares me :(

What about the Emer, always got treated to a bun on a thursday by my granny!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement