Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you kept your accent?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

latchyco wrote: »
    I think it happens quite a lot .For instance I have noticed former regional english tv news reporters move to the main national news spots ( ITN ) (BBC ) and they have changed their accents to a slightly more ' posh -er ' English / International dialect .

Yummy.

Filthy posh accents on UK wimmens FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Yummy.

Filthy posh accents on UK wimmens FTW.
    The ' plumliness' accents do take a bit of getting used to , I must say .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Shocking

Hearing a polish bird who has lived in the north is an amazing experience. They ramble on until they mention a cup of "Tae"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Shocking wrote: »
    Hearing a polish bird who has lived in the north is an amazing experience. They ramble on until they mention a cup of "Tae"

I just got a semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Shocking

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I just got a semi.

I hear ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 knuck

I lived in Manchester for years and my accent is as thick as ever, I don't think I could change it even if wanted. I just had to slow down and punctuate my sentences a bit to give people there a chance to process what i'm actually on about. Whereas my sister could go to the midlands for a week when she was younger and come back with midlands accent without even realising. I guess some people are simply better at doin accents than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I still have my neutral accent, although it does change depending on who I am talking to... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I've lived in NYC for just over 5 years now, and while I wouldn't say I've lost my accent (middle class Dublin - I wouldn't say it's full on D4, but YMMV) it's definitely softened a bit. My co-workers say I'm a lot easier to understand than I was when I first started here. When I meet new people it sometimes takes them a minute or two to cop that I'm Irish. But when I'm back in Dublin or talking to friends on the phone apparently my accent is the same as ever - I reckon I unconsciously tweak it to suit the listener.

I did a voice over a while back for a promotional web video made by the company I work for - they wanted an Irish guy for a scratch track, but they liked how I sounded and ended up just releasing what I'd done. A minor debate sprung up in a few places on the internet - including here on Boards - as to whether my accent was real or if I was an American putting it on.

I resisted the urge to join in, but it is entertaining to follow a debate about one's own accent. Being the internet, one thing everybody agreed on was that I was gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

if i answer the phone and its a fella from cork, by the end of the phone call, i've a cork accent.
    btw i'm not from cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

silverharp wrote: »
    How about Finnula Sweeney only listen to the first bit she doesnt speak much after but I've never met an Irish person that developed a home counties accent in such a short time

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x751wb_michael-ware-cnn-int-10202008_news

CNN made her undergo vocal chord surgery to change her accent to a weird stateless one. CNN is so global and cutting edge that its presenters can't be identified with any one country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dlofnep wrote: »
    I have a Waterford accent, and it's sexy. Sometimes I record myself and listen to myself speak. :eek:

its kinda onto the dublin accent isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

I've noticed my accent changes when I speak to people from different countries who themselves have an accent. I guess my subconscience adjusts it for ease of communication?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Had a Mancunian accent when I was ten. Definitely more Dublin now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Lived in Ireland for a year and when I moved back to Australia I was told I sounded Irish.:)

I lived in France for a year, and nobody thought I sounded French!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

apparently I sound like im from Kerry even though I have never been and Im from Dublin.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Even after 6 years in UCD, I still sound quite distinctly like I'm from Dublin 24. Accent gets stronger the angrier I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Phsyche wrote: »
    I've noticed my accent changes when I speak to people from different countries who themselves have an accent. I guess my subconscience adjusts it for ease of communication?

I do this too... my accent changes constantly depending on who I'm talking to... People often have difficulty figuring out where I'm from... especially if they've first encountered me in a situation with people of several nationalities.

My default accent has changed by quiet a bit from when I was 10... unless I'm talkin' to me Da.
    And even then it's only obvious on some words... or so I'm told, I'm pretty oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

MY accent is outside on the driveway! :D
    (I hope)

on topic, I've moved to meath and noticed i say a lot of their sayings now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

at least you notice! ^

i need other people to point out to me when im using kiwi words/phrases/rhythm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

congo_90 wrote: »
    MY accent is outside on the driveway! :D
    (I hope)

on topic, I've moved to meath and noticed i say a lot of their sayings now :(

You mean my driveway, you could have at least hoovered the damned thing beforehand for me.:D

My default accent went by the wayside, when I figured out that they used english in school.
    It resurfaces as a growl when I am very very peed off.

Apparently I'm sounding worrying agricultural at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been told I have a neutral accent (4 different years in the Gaeltacht and each year people asked me for proof that I'm from Limerick, having failed to pick up hints in my voice). I only ever hear the Limerick City twang when my voice is nearly hoarse, and that's pretty rare.
    I sometimes notice myself putting on a bit of a countrified, County Limerick accent when talking to college friends from outside the city :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

You can take the man out of Cork, but you can't take the Cork out of the man.....

Let my friend demonstrate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Still speak fluent D4. My Dutch ex ended up talking like me for a year or so too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

You can take the man out of Cork, but you can't take the Cork out of the man.....

Let my friend demonstrate

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

fyp

I honestly have no idea what that means....??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

at least you notice! ^

i need other people to point out to me when im using kiwi words/phrases/rhythm.

choice bro

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bufflefrog

I think it depends on the person really! I seem to be a bit of a chameloen depending on where I am and who I'm around! Take for example some of the girls who I go to college with! They're from Tipp and Waterford and I just sound exactly like them whenever i'm talking to em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I honestly have no idea what that means....??

Fixed Your Post.

To embed youtube videos, just put the bolded bit in between youtube tags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgWABKQpvqA

becomes [YOUTUBE]jgWABKQpvqA[/YOUTUBE]

Advertisement