Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you kept your accent?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Rabies wrote: »
    choice bro

as long as i dont wake up talking like this one day, i think ill live with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

javaboy wrote: »
    Fixed Your Post.

To embed youtube videos, just put the bolded bit in between youtube tags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgWABKQpvqA

becomes [YOUTUBE]jgWABKQpvqA[/YOUTUBE]

Legend, much obliged.

Can't get my head around all the acronyms at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Has anyone ever noitced anyone or been guilty of speaking to foreigners in the way in which you would speak to someone from ireland. By this i mean that when we speak to each other we tend to speak pretty fast, with alot of slang words and some of our accents may be less understandable to foreigners than others.

I have two friend with thick dublin accents and whenever they speak to foreigners they dont slow down when they speak and continue to use slang which is completely alien to foreigns, they make no effort to pronounce what they are saying in a clear manner that a foreigner could understand. I would say and have been told by all my norwegian friends that they dont have a fookin clue what they are saying half the time.

I find it pretty amusing because i dont have a clue what the norwegians are saying half the time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

People who know I'm from Cork think I sound 'Cork', everyone else thinks I'm from Dublin. Except foreigners who always think I'm Australian (I've never been there). From moving around a lot it kinda moulds to wherever I'm living at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    CNN made her undergo vocal chord surgery to change her accent to a weird stateless one. CNN is so global and cutting edge that its presenters can't be identified with any one country.

I'd love to know the process , does she have a meeting with her boss to be where they say " lose the brogue Paddy and you've got the job!"

on the other hand....... I heard at one of the UK airports they used to time their breaks so they could tune in

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

"oi hav a mad dubalin accent on me so oi deww"

"I totally have like an omg west brish with a like blend of omg - The Hills- if you know wash I mean"

"uhh nooo ze chermins har comink"

Schizophrenia ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

javaboy wrote: »
    Fixed Your Post.

To embed youtube videos, just put the bolded bit in between youtube tags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgWABKQpvqA

becomes [YOUTUBE]jgWABKQpvqA[/YOUTUBE]
    To post bbcode use the noparse tag:
    [noparse][noparse][/noparse][/noparse]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I've a mid atlanic accent ;)

Some people can spot straight away I'm from the states, some can't. It all depends on what I say really. Everyone back home thinks I sound Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i lived in cork for ten years, so i'm often told i have a cork accent.

i'm actually from kerry, so this saddens me greatly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

According to one person I sound more Irish now than my born and bred Irish mate, despite the fact I lived in England from ages 0-7...

Have been confused for an Australian quite a few times before though, so **** knows how accurate that is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I had a really strong D4 accent when I lived in Dublin which was for 5 years of my life and now I live in Sligo and have the totally opposite accent.

My cousin lived in America for 20 years and within a year of moving home he had a Cork accent:confused:

Advertisement