Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever rent a bus?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bus to drop about 25 people to Sligo and let us booze it up goodo on the bus. Can anyone recommend anyone, I've rang a few but the drinking seems to be an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just get the train and bring cans, you should be even be able to reserve your own seats so ye would all be together. No bus owner in their right mind would let you hire a bus for a long distance trip like that if youre all jarred. They would probably have to pay a huge insurance premium for it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Always seems to be problems with Shels away trips, but if you book a bus and offer the driver say €3 each, most likely he'll let you drink. Works for our away trip buses anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Always seems to be problems with Shels away trips, but if you book a bus and offer the driver say €3 each, most likely he'll let you drink. Works for our away trip buses anyway.

It depends on the driver/company, but mostly this is not the case. A lot of coach hire companies will not allow alcohol consumption on board, mainly because of the safety risks - i.e. passengers getting unruly or fighting. But also it's because of the clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Just get the train and bring cans, you should be even be able to reserve your own seats so ye would all be together. No bus owner in their right mind would let you hire a bus for a long distance trip like that if youre all jarred. They would probably have to pay a huge insurance premium for it

Train might be the way to go as heading to westport. Was hoping it would be cheaper if we all chipped in to rent the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Myself and 15 mates hired a bus to take us on a cross country drinking session last year. We paid 40euro each which included the cost of a heap of crates beer, various bottles of spirits. Visited about 10-15 villages in counties meath, monaghan and cavan over the course of the day/evening.
    The bus driver was sound enough ( he was getting well paid to be honest!) Great fun day but got a bit messy after a while with people getting lost etc. All got a bit rowdy and we were asked to leave a few pubs towards the end :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Train might be the way to go as heading to westport. Was hoping it would be cheaper if we all chipped in to rent the bus.

Well, afaik drinking on trains is illegal now. Iarnrod Eireann have a bunch of signs up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Dord wrote: »
    Well, afaik drinking on trains is illegal now. Iarnrod Eireann have a bunch of signs up about it.

Say it aint so....
    I haven't been on a train in ages, but last time it was no problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Tbh if it is illegal the inspectors don't care, wason the train many times last season travelling to away matches with about 10 of us all drinking, the majority even had child tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lots of colleges have 'mystery tours' which use busses while transporting people around a few venues, everybody drinks on the bus. Perhaps email TCDSU or UCDSU?

Advertisement