Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cable broadband - will eircom Netopia wireless router work?

• 17-02-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I did a search of previous threads + it sounds like I will be ok,
    sorry if its a thick question but just wanted to check before I put in the order ....

I am thinking of getting Broadband from UPC (cable broadband).
    I'd like to save myself the €49.99 (cost of wireless router supplied by UPC)
    by using 1 of the 2 wireless routers that I previously got from eircom.
    They are both wireless routers + both have RJ11 and RJ45 (ethernet) ports, but do not have usb connection.
    Netopia 2247NWG (wireless/ethernet)
    Netopia Cayman 3347NWG (wireless/ethernet)

Will I be able to use either of these with UPC cable Broadband ?
    Can I just connect my eircom wireless router to the Modem supplied by UPC via an RJ45 cable?
    .... (then ensure DHCP is enabled) and away I go?
    Also can I flash the Netopia router with an alternative, open source firmware like DD-WRT or Polarcloud Tomato as recommeded for other router here ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467388&highlight=upc+wireless+router

I found answer on FAQ of UPC website but confused as why they keep calling it "Cable broadband routers"

http://www.upc.ie/service/?cid=138&aid=44
    Can I connect a wireless router to my cable Broadband service?

Yes you can easily set up a wireless connection to your Broadband service.
    To set up an in-home Wifi connection you will need a cable broadband router. Cable broadband routers must be fed the internet connection via ethernet and so cannot be used with ADSL USB modems. Cable broadband wireless routers will need to be connected to your supplied cable modem via an ethernet cable.
    There are many manufacturers and vendors, whilst we endeavour to provide general guidance and assistance in connection and set up, unfortunately we are unable to provide expertise on all makes and models and recommend you refer to your manual or contact your vendor or manufacturer support line.
    You can find some common settings and problems that you should be aware of at www.upcmail.ie

Manufacturer Web Support Phone Support
    3Com http://emea.3com.com/support 1800 553 117 (Freephone)
    Belkin http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/tech 00 800 223 55460 (EU Freephone)
    D-Link http://support.dlink.co.uk 0044 207 365 8440 (UK)
    Linksys http://www.linksys.com/support 0044 870 739 3939 (UK)
    Netgear http://my.netgear-support.com 1800 453 019 (Freephone)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no RJ11 needed for cable, it is another RJ45 in its place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

rok wrote: »
    Will I be able to use either of these with UPC cable Broadband ?
    Can I just connect my eircom wireless router to the Modem supplied by UPC via an RJ45 cable?

No. Those modems have the routing function tied into the DSL modem, from the phone-line WAN port, so if you connect the cable modem to it's Ethernet port, the DSL modem/router will just be acting like a simple switch. No routing will be done, DHCP will not matter a damn, the router's NAT and firewall will be useless.

Right tool for the right job, and a DSL router is not for connecting to cable broadband. You need a broadband router, and €50 isn't a bad price for one really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

jor el wrote: »
    You need a broadband router, and €50 isn't a bad price for one really.

It is for the crap routers UPC provide...:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rok wrote: »

I found answer on FAQ of UPC website but confused as why they keep calling it "Cable broadband routers"

Its called a 'cable router' to differentiate it from the type of modem/router you have.

The one you have has a build in modem for dsl (bb over a phone line) whereas the models known as cable routers do not have a built in modem and need to be used with a seperate modem as supplied by upc in your case or say a wireless one by the likes of digiweb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    It is for the crap routers UPC provide...:(
    Are they bad? I was thinking of getting UPC in. their package is the best out there at the moment But I had chorus cable TV in before and the company seemed to be run by a bunch of cowboys. cable ever worked. Is the broadband good? 10mb for 32 euro a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

TheLoc wrote: »
    Are they bad? I was thinking of getting UPC in. their package is the best out there at the moment But I had chorus cable TV in before and the company seemed to be run by a bunch of cowboys. cable ever worked. Is the broadband good? 10mb for 32 euro a month.

Broadband is fine (10mb should be anyway). Customer service is abysmal or so I've heard, but tbh who's isn't? The standard netopia wireless router you receive is pretty **** & not really worth €50, but if you want a better one just don't bother getting it & buy your own.

Got a superb Belkin N+ (I know "Belkin", but it got a good review) in PC world yesterday for €90.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too familiar with setting up these. Is it easier to setup if I just get the router chorus give me and follow the instructions or is it exactly the same process if I buy my own router somewhere?

The process will be pretty much the same, whether you use their router or your own. It's a simple enough thing to do anyway, and routers generally come with instructions.

For setting up things like NAT, for some games or P2P, check out www.portforward.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Get the 20mb broadband,comes with free router.
    Downgrade to 10mb the next month,pay the 10 euro fee...thats the router for a tenner plus the extra tenner you paid for the 20mb that month

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

jackncoke wrote: »
    Downgrade to 10mb the next month,pay the 10 euro fee...thats the router for a tenner plus the extra tenner you paid for the 20mb that month

Thanks for the tip,
    I was thinking of that alright but I'm goin for the 3mb option (soon to be upgraded to 4mb I believe) so the 20 mb would be €20 extra a month,
    and I think you have to pay 2 months in advance, so they'd have an extra €40 out of me plus the €10 down-grade fee = €50 ... fek it I might still chance it.

I see they have an offer "Order online and we'll give you a €10 credit on your first bill." Must make sure they gimme that credit

... now to figure out where to put the modem + router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭jones

Does this actually work?? can you change down after a month? i was going to get the 3mb service myself broadband only...
    Thats if they have it in Trim someone is due to contact me about it as i applied online

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jakpercy

jones wrote: »
    Does this actually work?? can you change down after a month? i was going to get the 3mb service myself broadband only...
    Thats if they have it in Trim someone is due to contact me about it as i applied online

doesn't work,
    here is the txt from UPC Ts&Cs

A wireless router is included with the Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb and 30Mb packs. If a customer downgrades their Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb or 30Mb service within the first 4 months of installation they will be charged the €49.99 installation fee for the wireless router.

A €10 Downgrade Administration Fee will be applied anytime you downgrade your service. Subject to a minimum contract period of twelve months for all services. A cancellation fee will apply should you cancel your service during the first twelve months.

jakpercy wrote: »
    doesn't work,

A classic example of why dragging up a 2 year old thread is not a good idea. Information changes over time. No point in correcting something now, when it was accurate 2 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement