Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avoiding the M7

• 17-02-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all Cyclists.

This is my first thread. I'm looking for a route.

I will arriving @ Dublin Port with my new bike @the end of March and I want to cycle home to Kerry from there. Can anyone suggest a route avoiding the M7 :eek:. espically leaving the city. I like quite country roads. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanking You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hah I saw two cyclists on the M7 (yes the M) a few weeks back. Nutters. Anyway there's a quiet enough road that runs alongside (most of) the N7 really as far as Kildare. After that I am not really sure. Will have a look at google maps later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

Ah the old N7. I wonder from Heuston station what route would I take to link on to the N7 and avoid red cow and all that. If I got as far as Naas/Newbridge I would ok, I should find quiter roads from ther on.
    Thanks

Interesting Route. thanks for map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ah the old N7. I wonder from Heuston station what route would I take to link on to the N7 and avoid red cow and all that. If I got as far as Naas/Newbridge I would ok, I should find quiter roads from ther on.
    Thanks

I have been on road from Naas to Newbridge (old Dublin rd/n7)

A lot of truck traffic on it I found as far as Newbridge - dont know why when they could use the motorway.

Anyway, once past Newbridge the road around curragh is great, and road from Kildare to Portarlington is good - virtually no car traffic.

• Advertisement

Heavy truck and bikes do'nt go well together. It probaly wil be sat or sun when I will be cycling, The route through Kidare County seems interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres a lot of Truck Traffic along the old N7 near Newbridge as both Aldi and Lidl have their Ireland distribution centres nearby and theres also a place called Red House Toughers which is a old style restaurant/petrol station which is popular with truckers. Probably best to avoid this area

Raam wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, but that is one seriously straight looking road from Clane to Lullymore Road!
    and very exposed.

Great if you get a tail wind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

I wouldn't like to ride that road from clane heading to allenwood, I drive it a lot for work and is always packed with trucks and lorrys heading for the roadstone plant in edenderry, also very narrow road in places and high drop offs with many crosswinds.... no thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I hate cycling in the midlands. Especially that road into Ballymahon, feckin death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭osnoyl

try this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@daroadlescycled- do you plan to do this in one day? Have you done this sort of distance before?

blorg wrote: »
    @daroadlescycled- do you plan to do this in one day? Have you done this sort of distance before?

The longest I have cycled in one day so far is the Ring of Kerry which is 112 miles. The ferriy arrives in Dublin Port around 6am so I'll see how things go from there.

osnoyl wrote: »
    try this
    This looks useful. having a go now and see what happens. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The longest I have cycled in one day so far is the Ring of Kerry which is 112 miles. The ferriy arrives in Dublin Port around 6am so I'll see how things go from there.
    Well the ROK is far enough and it can be flat headed towards Kerry- I asked mainly as I may well be on for joining you on the trip, can be easier in a pair. I may want to head Cork-direction, and I have a route :)

blorg wrote: »
    Well the ROK is far enough and it can be flat headed towards Kerry- I asked mainly as I may well be on for joining you on the trip, can be easier in a pair. I may want to head Cork-direction, and I have a route :)

That sounds interesting. Final plans not made yet. Probaly cycling on Saturday March 25th. I'm keeping in mind Portlaoise/ Thurles/Mallow, in case of bad weather, I could jump on the train. What's your route.

Hi there ,
    Has one cycled along this route, From Dublin port Rathgar rd, Rathfarnham, r114 to Brittas to Kilcullen, Athy Stradbally Abbeyleix and Templemore. I wonder is there much city cycling before I get on the country lanes/roads.

Hi there ,
    Has one cycled along this route, From Dublin port Rathgar rd, Rathfarnham, r114 to Brittas to Kilcullen, Athy Stradbally Abbeyleix and Templemore. I wonder is there much city cycling before I get on the country lanes/roads.

I have cycled from near Athy to Kilcullen to Brittas.
    Avoid the main roads (Brittas to Blessington) and the road to Kilkenny (Close to Kilcullen).
    There are lots of backroads..
    Only issue I had with the back roads is that countryside around there is really rolling. Up down up down. Makes it difficult to get up any head of steam.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have cycled from near Athy to Kilcullen to Brittas.
    Avoid the main roads (Brittas to Blessington) and the road to Kilkenny (Close to Kilcullen).
    There are lots of backroads..
    Only issue I had with the back roads is that countryside around there is really rolling. Up down up down. Makes it difficult to get up any head of steam.

Rolling hills sounds good,I'm a tourer more than a racer. I'm sure if I,ll be out of the city in an hour and half if I take the the route through Maynooth or the route through Kilcullen.
    Do you cycle every week or more or less?.

• Advertisement

Rolling hills sounds good,I'm a tourer more than a racer. I'm sure if I,ll be out of the city in an hour and half if I take the the route through Maynooth or the route through Kilcullen.
    Do you cycle every week or more or less?.

Yep regaress of the oute, you should be in Maynooth or Kilcullen in 90mins.
    I cycle most days, but only these routes at w/e spins.
    If you time your journey for sat/sun morning, then you will be in only the lightest of traffic.

I may even head along part of the way with you.

If you time your journey for sat/sun morning, then you will be in only the lightest of traffic.

Yea that's cool, making final arragments next week, keep you posted.

Have any of You moved on from road maps to to specific GPS for cyclists. I've heard you can get GPS and phone combined, Are these totally weather proof/practical/expensive?. Any recommendations.

I arrive in Dublin Port on Saturday the 21 of March at 6am.
    I will have done a 3 hour cycle through Wales on Friday evening and ferry trip from Holyhead.I hopin to cycle the route towards Maynooth as you suggested earlier. If you or any other cyclists feel like a spin you are welcome to join me. If weather is very bad that hour of the morning I'll head for Heuston Staion.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pixcil

Hello Daroadlescycles,

Looks like you have a possible route out of dublin but if you're interested i cycle a route from rathcoole to kildare which is very quiet. Brings you out on the curragh and from there you can go to kildare-portlaoise or down to athy etc. if you want a more detailed route let me know and I'll mail you a marked route but anyway good luck. and if you.re passing anywhere near portarlington/portlaoise/kildare give a shout and could meet up for a few miles.
    Tally ho

pix

pixcil wrote: »
    Hello Daroadlescycles,

Looks like you have a possible route out of dublin but if you're interested i cycle a route from rathcoole to kildare which is very quiet. Brings you out on the curragh and from there you can go to kildare-portlaoise or down to athy etc. if you want a more detailed route let me know and I'll mail you a marked route but anyway good luck. and if you.re passing anywhere near portarlington/portlaoise/kildare give a shout and could meet up for a few miles.
    Tally ho

pix

Yea that would be great if you can do out a route. What I'll do is see which route will be the most popular for those who might like to join in for a cycle on the 21st of march. So it's over to fellow cyclists to have your say on a route From Dublin Port to Kerry avoiding the M7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 forum guy

Hi Pixcil
    You said you had a nice cycling route from rathcoole to kildare - would it be possible to get this off you? im doing a fundraising cycle from dublin to kerry next week and getting out of dublin seems to be the hardest bit to plan! i have a safe route as far as newlands cross so far.

any help would be much appreciated
    ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

Try this option for leaving Dublin, I find it's pretty good at avoiding traffic - even on a Friday afternoon.
    From Heuston, head out Conygham Road, alongside the Phoenix Park, then take Lower Road, through the Strawberry Beds, into Lucan. Then go to Celbridge, from there to Ardclough, then join the Straffan-Kill road to Kill, cross the N7 on the pedestrian bridge at Kill and join the Kill-Naas old road.

thanks a million Milan, really appreciate that. is there any chance you have a map or likewise of that route - finding it hard to put together on google maps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Anyway, once past Newbridge the road around curragh is great

I used to cycle from Kildare town to Pollardstown Fen to catch the dawn (it was for an M.Sc. I was doing; I was trying to catch the moment when the stomata in reeds opened so I could measure how much methane was released from the aerenchyma).

It was quite some time ago, but if the roads around Pollardstown Fen are anything like they used to be, they're a very nice cycle, even at the dead of night.

The fen itself is lovely on a clear summer dawn. Scarves of mist rise up off the vegetation, and the light has a lovely rosy quality.

Bit of an off-topic reminiscence there.

thanks everyone, Milan that route is fantastic, I did it yesterday evening. Celbridge and Lucan are ATROCIOUSLY signposted towns but I followed your pointers and figured it out - will be out of Dub in no time from now on! and that hill in Chapelizod is a great wake-up-call in the first few kms!

Advertisement