Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giggs for Player of the Year?

• 17-02-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

That's who Alan Hansen says he would vote for anyway...
    "His performances this season have been excellent and he actually seems to be getting better with age.

"At the moment, he would definitely be my choice as footballer of the year."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7892375.stm

I think I'm right in saying that the players cast their votes this week and according to the bookies the frontrunners are:
    N Vidic 6-4 Fav
    C Ronaldo, R Giggs 4-1
    S Gerrard 9-1
    E Van der Sar 12-1
    A Young 18-1

Personally speaking, as much as I admire Ryan Giggs, I don't think he deserves it this year. I think if a United player is to get it then it should go to Nemanja Vidic as he's had some terrific performances and scored some vital goals too. I'm not sure how or why Ronaldo has such good odds as I don't think his form or temperament warrants the award this year.

I'm surprised Van Persie isn't being considered as a contender as a look at the stats shows he's bagged 9 goals and made 7 assists in 21 games which surely should have him in the running.

Stephen Ireland is said to be in with a good shout of landing the Young Player of the Year award which I believe he deserves.

Who would you like to see win in 2009?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

it would make a mockery of the whole thing if a bit part player got player of the season tbf

agbonlahor will probably win the young player award, coz hes not a paddy mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He shouldn't get it.
    Yes Giggs is having a good season.

But I think people are seeing this in the wrong light and thinking if Giggs gets Player of the Year it will be some sort of lifetime achievement award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Giggs for player of the year is a lot like Casillias for the ballon d'or, its not going to happen and is just something to write about. I also think its retarded to be thinking of player of the year this early in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

Should be between
    Vidic
    Arteta
    Carrick
    Agbonlahor
    Gerrard
    Given

IMO, Could be some more I forgot about. I really don't think Van Der Sar should be there despite having a good season, it was mainly due to Vidic and Ferdinand that he kept most those clean sheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I'd definitely support Giggs, especially if the award was based not just on his (amazing) performance on the pitch, but on being an all round decent bloke, in contrast to some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Giggs is having a very good season,ive alot of time for giggs,a great servant to the club and great role model
    he has had some bad games but over-all a very good season.

but vidic is the man to beat this season

i also think Carrick deserves a mention for player of the yr too.

for me it would be

vidic
    carrick
    Gerrard
    Arteta
    A.young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't vote him for it myself. He is having a good season, a stunning season by the standards he has set over the last couple of years (consistency wise at least).

However, i can't help but feel people are only saying he should get it because he is Ryan Giggs - i don't think if another player was having the exact same season they would get the same mentions. Over the last couple of months he has looked very good, but prior to the Chelsea game, which kick started his season, he was fairly average overall imo.

At United I would say Vidic at the very least should be ahead of him in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Only three players in the running for me, Steven Gerard has been fantastic as has Nemanja Vidic and Ashley Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'd have vidic, xabi alonso, van persie and ashley young as front runners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Young or maybe Cahill.
    Agbonlahor has had a great season too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Vidic or Alonso for me.

The support for Giggs is probably a (deserved) nod purely for still being an influential player at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Martin Tyler said Giggs was playing outstanding this season in his opinion during the Derby game on sunday and couldnt believe he had never won the player of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Young or Vidic should be the only real contenders. The rest have been miles behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Headshot wrote: »
    Giggs is having a very good season,ive alot of time for giggs,a great servant to the club and great role model
    he has had some bad games but over-all a very good season.

but vidic is the man to beat this season

i also think Carrick deserves a mention for player of the yr too.

for me it would be

vidic
    carrick
    Gerrard
    Arteta
    A.young

Cannot argue with your top 5 , Vidic has been unreal this season and think would fully deserve the award , Arteta has also had a fantastic season too.

As for Giggs yes he has manage to produce some great performances this season and is a great role model and a legend , but for me he has not been consistent enough to get this award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Vidic Gerrard for me i dunno how Ronaldo is 4-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Giggs started off the season with some very poor performances.
    Seriously doubt he has a realistic chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Giggs has never been consistent enough to get this award and that's why he hasn't already. Great servant to the club but every season I hear complaints about him regularly after another poor patch and I make the same complaints about him. Look at Ronaldo last season, now that's a player playing consistently well for a whole season same as Vidic has been doing so far this season. Giggs has a long way to go to get player of the year and I can't see him doing it, though I'd love to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Right now, from Man Utd, I think Vidic and Carrick have been better than Giggs this season. Agbonlahor and Stephen Ireland are the only other two who should be in with a shout. That said, if Giggs (and United) continue this form it'd be difficult to chose between him, Vidic and Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Giggs for player of the year is laughable to say the least, yea he is a great bloke and role model, give him the The Great Bloke Of The Year Award so not player of the year, is no where near player of the year.

Realistic candidates would be Vidic, Gerrard, and Young (who in my opinion has really taken the Premiership by storm this year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some players who have been fantastic thus far this season and haven't been mentioned. Not saying any of them should necessarily win it, but would contend that they deserve it more than Giggs:

Brede Hangeland
    Phil Jagielka
    Scott Parker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mark Scwarzer (sp??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I can't even believe its being discussed seriously, he is not even close to being Man U's best player so its pointless to try and make a case for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Vidic
    Phil Jagielka
    A.Young

Hoping 1 of them win it. Jagielka has been Immense for Everton this season.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be considered a realistic candidate for Player of the Year you should first have to play regularly. Of ManU's 24 games so far in the league, Giggs has only played a full 90 minutes in 6 of them, including 2 against West Brom and another against Stoke. He hasn't featured at all in another 6, and played less than 20 minutes in 5 more. These are the stats of a player winding down his career, not one at the peak of his powers and taking the division by storm. He seems a decent bloke and has been loyal to the club, so if ManU want to give him their Player of the Year award then fair enough, he deserves it for what he's done for them over the years. However that's not reason enough for either the PFA or Football Writers to give him one of their awards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Theres nobody in contention. Its going to Vidic, the mans top class.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Giggs has been excellent to watch recently, the highlight for me being his performance against Chelsea (followed by one amazing moment of skill against Derby), but there's no way he deserves Player of the Year based on just a few great games. I'm open to the idea that he could become a contender if he keeps playing well regularly, but I think that's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lads Ginola got a player of the year for doing F All ! in fairness when Keane should have clearly won it so these things are not so clear cut.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think Ashley Young has gotten 3 Player of the month awards during the time this is judged upon (could be wrong), in my biased eyes that would have to make him one of the favvourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I honestly don't think Giggsy has done enough (to date) to warrant the POTY award but that's not to say he won't have some immense run of form in the close to the season. However, I'm generally a realist and I honestly don't see him getting enough game time to justify the award when there are some other extremely strong candidates (allbeit fewer standout performers than usual) doing the rounds.

Both Vidic and Carrick are above him in the pecking order IMO and then the likes of Ashley Young cannot be overlooked. With few/no Chelsea or Arsenal players in the shake up this year, it's quite open.

Rafael for young player anyone?! Can't think of anyone off hand that would deserve it more - granted there is still a massive chunk of the season remaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I think Ashley Young has gotten 3 Player of the month awards during the time this is judged upon (could be wrong), in my biased eyes that would have to make him one of the favvourites

Young got one in Sept and one in Dec. The 3rd was in April last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I read somewhere that with the player's player of the year, the forms are given out early enough, and most people just fill them out when they get them rather than until the end of the year.

Now I read that a few years ago, so not sure how true this could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Dunno if its mentioned earlier in this thread but on the Manu thread 99% of people have been slagging Giggs off and questioning the idea of giving him a another contract. Although I have been very frustrated over his form over the years he has been a terrific servant for the club and despite not showing his best imo ie goal against arsenal,performances against Juve in the euro cup etc often enough I think he is playing some great football in the centre this season. His performance against chelsea stood out with his runs at the chelsea defence through the centre were great to see. I d love for him to play in the San Siro and perform like that.

I dont think chelsea have anyone that stands out. So id go for Giggs, Vidic, Gerrard, a villa and everton player to be nominated for player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Vidic for me, jaysus he's an animal center half, top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

why does he deserve to be nominated? what has he done all season better then Young, Vidic, Gerrard, Barry, Howard, Robinho, Ireland, Anelka......

I dunno, maybe its just me, i dont think he has done anything of special signifigance this year, especially not on a consistent basis and since he is basically a bit part player it would be odd to see him nominated...... You could argue that JOS has done as much if not more then Giggs this year in terms of overall performance

Sentimentality seems to cloud alot of people when it comes to Giggsy, and i can understand that....i love him, he is a united legend and will always have a place in the hearts of united fans, i do however know i am not alone in how i think about him now, he is no longer the force he was.....he is a hinderance to uniteds attacks more often then he is a help, this is a fact. he cannot seem to play in the same 11 as Scholes anymore because the team suffers too much from lack of speed and dynamism

I would certainly honour Giggs with a football version of a life time achievement award or something, but to state he has been the best player over the last 12 months would be allowing sentimentality to rule and letting deserving talent go un rewarded

its early, i hope this mini rant thing makes some sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Giggs is still a vital member of the United squad, ultimate professional, himself and Maldini are on a par on how they have and still do conduct themselves.

As for player of the year, no chance, he should have got player of the month though.

Giggs should have won player of the year at some stage, but unfortunately the person that deserves it doesn't always win it, his Welshness and shyness from the limelight didn't help his chances, but IMO have helped his career.

As for Giggs here and now, he is having a great season, 3 times I gave him MOM (he got it twice officially), difficult thing to do when you have the likes of Vidic in the same team.

His stats are good

16 Starts
    11 as Sub
    3 Goals
    10 Assists.

I couldn't give two hoots about sentiment, on his form I want him in the side to face Fulham tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Is it not a bit early to be voting for player of the season?
    Still a lot of football to be played. I'm sure when giggs retires he'll get plenty of awards etc, for his contribution to the game. It's a shame he has never won the award in his careet but i agree it would make a mockery of the award if he got it this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This thread should have a poll...

Carrick imo should give Vidic a run for his money - he's been fantastic this year.

Can't believe people have mentioned Gerrard more than Xabi Alonso, it's mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lucas , hes a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Player of the Year is traditionally handed out to the most person with the most impact in the game in a given season/year. It has not always gone to the player performing best on the pitch (from memory Shearer and Ginola both won when they werent the best player performance wise).

I can understand, from a sentimentality point of view, why Giggs is being talked up. Also, Ferguson mentioned that Giggs should get Player of the Year in an interview about a month back, so that is what started all this hype. I thnk what will happen is that Giggs will come second. If I was to vote myself, I would vote for Xabi Alonso, how in the name of jaysus anyone is saying Gerrard has been a bigger player than Alonso for Liverpool this year, I don't know.

Second place for me would Laursen, who I personally don't think is a great centre half, but he has been immense for Villa. Third place for me would be Vidic. I just don't think that you can single out a player from the huge sides that are dominating, the fact that their teams are so strong kind of makes it easier to perform regularly. Vidic has been super though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Big fan of Giggs, but would be a joke for him to get it when he's not even the best player in his team.

Vidic and Carrick have been the top two men for Utd this year in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote: »
    If I was to vote myself, I would vote for Xabi Alonso, how in the name of jaysus anyone is saying Gerrard has been a bigger player than Alonso for Liverpool this year, I don't know.

Wow Wow Wow

Another example of the short term memory of the average football fan.

Alonso has had maybe 10-15 decent appearances, with maybe 5 excellent games. Over the period of 12 months he has been average to the point of being dropped. He was good at the start of this season but he has failed to emulate how he started this calender year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »
    Wow Wow Wow

Another example of the short term memory of the average football.

Alonso has had maybe 10-15 decent appearances, with maybe 5 excellent games. Over the period of 12 months he has been average to the point of being dropped. He was good at the start of this season but he has failed to emulate how he started this calender year.

Surely that is similar to people tending to forget about the patch of relatively poor form Vidic was in up to, and including, the Arsenal game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

For Vidic and Carrick are ahead of him at United. But with Carrick not being a regular in the England squad I can't see him getting it.

For a foreign center half to get it as well would be some achievement as well.

I think the reason that Giggs is being mentioned is that apart from Ashely Young there is no attacking player that is really destroying defense this year. Like Ronaldo, Torres and Adebayor (to an extent) did last year. We all know attacking players get most of the limelight and these awards so with none of them really standing out from the pack it leaves you trying to pick a reason to choose. If Giggs wins it it will be because a sentimental thing, like a life time achievement award, and I think Giggs would be one of the first to mention this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Its Vidic or Young for me thus far, no one else has come close.

Surely that is similar to people tending to forget about the patch of relatively poor form Vidic was in up to, and including, the Arsenal game.

Vidic has had many more MOM performances then poor games, this season he really has been the stand out player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its Vidic or

fúck that Its Vidic fullstop.

Gerrard :rolleyes:
    Giggs :rolleyes:
    Carrick :rolleyes:
    Young :rolleyes:
    Ronaldo :rolleyes:

All have had good to decent enough season, but POTY? Nobody can touch Vidic. Maybe Given if he has an even better end to the season. But thats it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

The obvious one for me has to be Vidic, outstanding defender this season and even makes whoever he is beside him look good be it Ferdinand or Evans!

Im bais though so just give it to Mr. Robin Van Persie! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Young, Alonso, Vidic, Gerrard, Carrick & Ireland for me thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Vidic for me and it's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

**** me this Vidic love in is a little intense.

it is strange that people are ignoring his poor form already this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement