Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guitar songs?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

In a similar vein to the piano songs thread, I was just wondering what your suggestions were. I'm thinking things like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zeppelin but also stuff like Bourree in E Minor by Bach, and Estudio in E minor by Tarrega. So simple finger picking stuff.

That estudio is a sort of running spanish sounding thing, http://members.tripod.com/~Braumeister/Music/Tarrega_Estudio.txt

Any more stuff like that would be brilliant.

And failing all that, some lively part songs would be good too. :D
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

anything by Dragonforce
    anything by Opeth
    Radiohead have some nice guitar songs, Just and My Iron Lung have some pleasant use of jazzy chords and multi layered guitar parts.

On the classical side Villa Lobos has some good studies
    Bach-Allemande, Tarrega-Capricho Arabe, Fantasia and so forth are cool guitar pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

anything by Dragonforce

NO....JUST NO....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

FREEBIRD

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I'll probably have to agree with Daaaaaaan on the Dragonforce. :P
    The Classical stuff looks, good, I'm going to try that allemande anyway, and the capricho arabe sounds really good.
    I'd kind of forgotten about Freebird. :D Maybe sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You +1

Eh...Classical Gas? Eric Johnson's a good un too.

Also Colin Hay on his post Men At Work solo albums has some nice guitar work goin on.

• Advertisement

Classical Gas is brilliant, but would take a little but more work than I'm willing to put in at the moment.
    Just listened to bit of Eric Johnson, his sound is a bit too 80s American electric if you know what I mean. I like the echoing acoustic stuff, like Led Zeps acoustics or, say, Fleet Foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Extreme - More Than Words ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

+1 on Dragonforce & Opeth, Dragonforce are just the ultimate in guitar nerdiness! If your looking at pure riffage stuff like Megadeth and alot of other Trash are key. For shreding it's do Pantera! Slayer are awesome, Seasons In The Abyss is one of my favourites. The favourite Exibitionist guitarist of mine is Steve Vai (as he is to alot of others). But the Classics are Smoke On The Water, Purple Haze, Gimme Shelter, Freebird and numerous others from Hendrix, Stones, DP, The Nuge & Zeppelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anything by Rodrigo and Gabriella. Anything by Jimi Hendrix.

Paradise City by GNR, the outro is amazing.
    Hotel California by the Eagles, includes officially the best guitar solo ever.

Oh yeah, the film Crossroads - not the greatest take on the Robert Johnson v the devil story but the guitar playing throughout by Ry Cooder and Steve Vai is great.

More than words is a nice song, but not really what I'm looking for. :D
    Lot of metal-type stuff there Nailz, not really what I was going for, though there are some classics there I'll definitely look into.
    I've heard of Rodrigo and Gabriella but I've never really listened to anything of theirs, I must look into them too. Hotel Calicornia is absolutely fantastic.

Wow, I'm starting to look like a bit of a snobbish prick, sorry about that. It's all a matter of taste, keep posting stuff people I'm sure there are others who would take to those songs more than me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Genesis (well, Steve Hackett on his own really): Horizons

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Clichés (still good though):

Blackbird - The Beatles
    Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin
    Cannonball - Damien Rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Rocker.

Always have to fight the urge to put the head down and engage air axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

stovelid wrote: »
    The Rocker.

Always have to fight the urge to put the head down and engage air axe.
    Don't fight it dude, feed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Zepp - Bron Yr Aur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing(great solo)

Eric Clapton - Layla( check out the live version, electric guitar not the acoustic, even though thats great too)

Probably not your thing though but you never know:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eric Clapton - Hey Hey (as well as the rest of the unplugged album)

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Mason Williams - Classical Gas

Cream - Crossroads

Anything by RATM / Led Zeppelin / Guns n Roses etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Sweet Child O' Mine - GnRs
    Alive - Pearl Jam
    Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 John Titor 2036

Get on your Boots, what a pentatonic scale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Oh Well - Fleetwood Mac
    Needle and the damage done - Neil Young
    Nick Drake - either of Things behind the sun, Road or Parasite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement