Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus to strike on the day of Ireland vs England rugby

Options
  • 17-02-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

What a shower of opportunist f**kers. last thing that the economy needs. Should fire any of them that dont show up for work. Or at least dock their pay for the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Bad omen for the rugby team ( the irish one ) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What a shower of opportunist f**kers. last thing that the economy needs. Should fire any of them that dont show up for work. Or at least dock their pay for the day.

dont over blow it , its not exactly the London Tube , I'm sure most people wont notice. Can we use the bus lanes?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

silverharp wrote: »
    Can we use the bus lanes?

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

same day snow patrol play the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Boo hoo. "I mean loike, the goys won't get to watch the rugby in Croker. Sack the lot of them roysh".

Because that's the priority isn't it, not peoples' jobs or lives or anything like that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Boo hoo. "I mean loike, the goys won't get to watch the rugby in Croker. Sack the lot of them roysh".

Because that's the priority isn't it, not peoples' jobs or lives or anything like that. :rolleyes:

If you weren't such a plastic class-warrior about this, I'm sure people would agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

There will be something on whatever day they pick. I doubt guys worrying about their livelihoods are to worried about Rugby or Snow Patrol fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

If you weren't such a plastic class-warrior about this, I'm sure people would agree with you.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good on them. Their career is far more important than some lame sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What we need now is protestors and loads of them, not people who like yourself who are happy to bend over and to take it over a chair from the government.

Stand for nothing and you'll fall for anything. When you lose your job, who do you expect to stand up for you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

FTA69 wrote: »

Eh is the dort not running loike??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Best news I've heard all day, nice to see people standing up for themselves:D
    Is there something we can do to support them?

If the rest of the country do this, we might get somewhere with TD , Banker paycuts etc.

Any of the people slagging them off for not rolling over and taking it from the politicians without lube, I hope your next on the paycut line.:D

mwah
    Dannyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Eh is the dort not running loike??

dont worry, there a coach going from Koilys

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

silverharp wrote: »
    dont worry, there a coach going from Koilys

oh roysh, Nice one fiachra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

At least the taxi folk will be happy.

/insert compulsory roysh......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Ehmm....it is also a Saturday. I would've thought that would have less impact on the economy than if they had the strike on a weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just to elaborate a little on the Strike decision.

Up until yesterday all that was in place was a mandate for Industrial action,up to and including strike action in furtherance of the Employee`s dispute with the company in relation to unilateral changes in the basic terms and conditions of Busdrivers employment.

Up until yesterday there was a belief and even a hope that some form of agreement could be reached to allow for the resumption of the (up until now) normal channels of Industrial Relations negotiation in Dublin Bus.

However at a meeting between Minister Dempsey and a SIPTU delegation (16th Feb) it became apparent that the Minister is of the view that he has no role to play in resolving what is now a vast rift in the previously long standing negotiation process.

For example,there are many Dublin Bus routes where Drivers and Supervisors have long standing requests for new schedules (Bills) which have been constantly refused by middle management on the grounds of complexity and availability of resources needed to draw up the new Bill.

Oddly enough,in the immediate aftermath of the Deloitte Report,staff found themselves furnished with brand new bills,fully drafted with duty losses to the fore.

This in itself was an incredible feat of engineering which appears to raise a serious question mark over the company`s past practices in the same area.

Anyway,returning to the Ministers tour de force re Dublin Bus,Mr Dempsey appears to be somewhat poorly informed as to the reality of Public Transport operation relying,it appears,on a few highly placed Departmental Officers for his knowledge.

He was unaware that the company had already been down the Deloitte road of super-corridors only to have to abandon that concept in response to customer demand for services to go deeper into the many ill-planned resedential estates that are another of Fianna Fail`s legacies to Ireland.

It also appears he was oddly reluctant to discuss specifics of the Deloitte Report,giving rise to speculation on the Union side that they were sitting across from yet another Tabloid Government Minister,ie: one who looks at the pictures rather than reads the captions.

His only statement of worth was a rousing one,a throwing down of the gauntlet even......"I`m prepared to take the political hit on this"

Well Noel,that may be very laudable,even desireable,but before you embark on this voyage take a look around your own back benches and ask yourself if your fellow FF Cabinet Colleagues and Back Bench members are prepared to take the hit along with you ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Dublin Bus doesn't even deserve to be in business anyway so it's no skin off my nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Zynks wrote: »
    Ehmm....it is also a Saturday. I would've thought that would have less impact on the economy than if they had the strike on a weekday.

They will also be striking on 9th and 10th of March which is a Monday and Tuesday. I suspect they partially picked the 28th deliberately because its a big rugby day in Croker and a bus strike that day will cause maximum chaos in town, and thus get their point across more effectively, and more publicity for them.

Sad to see some people concerned more with being a bit put out than having any solidarity with the workers. To quote an old lottery catchphrase It could be you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Sad to see some people concerned more with being a bit put out than having any solidarity with the workers. To quote an old lottery catchphrase It could be you.

What will the strike achieve? Will it make Dublin Bus magically get the money to afford the people they're laying off?

I agree that Dublin Bus is essential and that the government should be allocating money for it. But I suppose if they did that they'd have to allocate similar percentages to the private operators (which doesn't sound like a bad idea to me). I've no idea where that could come from though. I don't think a strike is going to figure it out.

It could be me alright. And I'd say my job is on the way out. But Dublin Bus striking or me striking (when the time comes) is not going to help me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

What will the strike achieve? Will it make Dublin Bus magically get the money to afford the people they're laying off?

I agree that Dublin Bus is essential and that the government should be allocating money for it. But I suppose if they did that they'd have to allocate similar percentages to the private operators. I've no idea where that could come from though. I don't think a strike is going to figure it out.

It could be me alright. And I'd say my job is on the way out. But Dublin Bus striking or me striking (when the time comes) is not going to help me.

People have the right to stand up for their jobs and their liveliehood. Why should they meekly stand aside while Government largesse and incompetence which was largely responsible for the mess we are currently in goes unpunished? On Prime Time the other night the smug look on Conor Lenihans face when it was put to him that that TDs should get a 50% reduction in pay really pissed me off. It was as if to say, yeh like theres two chances of that happening. They do nothing to deserve such a huge salary which they have happily voted to increase several times over the past few years. A 50% pay cut for TDs could well go towards saving many jobs in Dublin bus. But do they have the national interest at heart? You bet they don't!

The primary purpose of Dublin Bus is to provide a means of transport in the city. Not employment.
    A lot of these sanctimonious pseudo-class warriors posting on the subject seem to forget this (maybe conveniently so?).

If my employer decides to scalp jobs, striking isn't going to make them change their mind.
    Nothing can be belie the economic fact to the organisation that they might (in such a case) need to cut staff from their books.
    You can't force someone to employ you.

Despite slight improvement over the past few years, its services are probably the worst in Western Europe by a country mile (certainly the worst I've ever witnessed anyway) and I wouldn't be surprised if it was sieving money like no tomorrow.
    If Dublin Bus have to shed some routes to make it more viable to run then so be it.
    Next undertaking should be to teach drivers who are still with them the f**king rules of the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I suspect they partially picked the 28th deliberately because its a big rugby day in Croker and a bus strike that day will cause maximum chaos in town, and thus get their point across more effectively, and more publicity for them.

February 28th is the day Dublin Bus plans to sack almost 300 drivers. I would say this is the primary reason for choosing that day. Regardless of what day they choose, the loss of the bus service will have a massive impact on the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Public Services like transport should be subject to legislation that makes it illegal to strike. How the hell are we going to get out of the mess we are in when vital services are allowed be held to ransom to union whims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Personally I support the right to strike, where there is no other means of achieving fair equity between a company and its employees. It's unfortunate that this is necessary upon occasion, but necessary it can be and as such should not be rejected out of hand.

However, the problem with Dublin Bus going on strike is that it is Dublin Bus. As far as public transport is concerned, I can safely say that it is the worst I have ever come across. No doubt. Even ATAC, the bane of any Roman commuter, is significantly better, and it's one of the worst ones. There are no timetables to speak of; those that we have give laughable approximations of times that are seldom respected - even at a terminus, and any attempt to improve this - logging times or putting up displays giving ETA's - have consistently been blocked by the unions. Go to any other European capital and these have long been the norm.

In short, Dublin Bus has long been run for the benefit of its employees, not for the benefit of commuters and as a result, even if they have genuine grievances, the workers there will not get a lot of sympathy from the public. Neither do they deserve it - you reap what you sow, after all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Whatever about the Saturday, striking on weekdays will mean many people will have great trouble getting into work. This surely will have an economic effect, especially with many businesses struggling as is, notwithstanding the fact that Dublin Bus will lose even more money from these strikes... Can't see them garnering much sympathy for the 9th or 10th strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

It does not matter what day the strike is on, someone will loose out. As said above, its about time people stand up for them selves, we have takin too much crap in this country for way too long. look at the upcoming demonstrations and they are for different reasons, bus drivers - taxi drivers - nurses - doctors - gardai - and im sure there will be more.
    I can live with some demos if it puts this government in its place and gets the country back on track. Stop being selfish and support the workers. If anyone is worried about getting to a rugby match or to work there are alternatives, use them...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

I would almost drive around the city, giving people lifts, to show how little I can support this action. Being a member of a union myself, I am appalled at how cowardly and selfishly the unions are behaving. Ranting and raving about the fact that it was "not us, it was the bankers who caused this" is not going to solve anything...

bus drivers - Extremely inefficient and providing a bad service and want to keep the status quo - the general public lose out again.

taxi drivers - Protesting because after years of gouging the masses they have to compete in an open market.

nurses - Actually I don't begrudge them as the HSE is a complete and utter mess and the funds that should be going to the front line are caught up in a bloated inefficient middle manage fat layer. Time to put it on a diet.

doctors - apart from Junior Doctors they are overpaid and over valued

gardai - What are they protesting about the fact they don't get as much lunch money as they used to at Dublin Airport for example :rolleyes:

The one thing I would say is it is time to remove the boards of most of these semi-state organisations and replace the political appointees with actual experienced business people and bring them in line with the 21st Century. The board of CIE/Dublin Bus would be one of the first in line.

• Advertisement

Did someone delete or amend their post?

Advertisement