Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some questions from a noob!!

• 17-02-2009 11:15pm

Hey.... looking to get into production. Would love to make dance or rap.

few quick questions...

1. what limitations has decks in terms of making your own music?.... can you do much?

2. how much would you need to spend on them?, i'd be willing to put a good bit in, any recommendations?!.... also i live in Galway and AFAIK no shops sell them so if i bought online i'd have no guarantee if they break?!...

3. would an MacBook with a programme like Logic be essential to making your own music?!

4. and lastly..... how much of this is achievable yourself?, would lessons be needed or just putting the time in?!.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

few quick questions...

1. what limitations has decks in terms of making your own music?.... can you do much?

2. how much would you need to spend on them?, i'd be willing to put a good bit in, any recommendations?!.... also i live in Galway and AFAIK no shops sell them so if i bought online i'd have no guarantee if they break?!...

3. would an MacBook with a programme like Logic be essential to making your own music?!

4. and lastly..... how much of this is achievable yourself?, would lessons be needed or just putting the time in?!.

Thanks

1. You don't need decks to produce you need software and so hardware such as a midi keyboard.

2. Depends on what you want to buy id recommendhttp://www.thomann.de they give a 3 year guarantee i think.

3. Yeah the mac's are great but expensive and IMO not worth the money. There are plenty of software options.

Read the stickys in the music production forum and listen to alot of music pick up sounds and learn structures and flows of the music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

dance or rap

Chalk and cheese :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

few quick questions...

Thanks

1. Decks play music, they don't create it. That is, unless you intend on being a turntablist and even then you're gonna need software and hardware.

2. How much is a good bit in terms of money? You're talking anywhere between 1,000 and 10,000+ in terms of buying a decent production setup, which most people take years putting together. You'd need a computer + software, controllers such as MPD pads and MIDI keyboards and/or synths and drum machines if you rather the hardware route. As VinylJunkie said thomann.de is brilliant for buying equipment!

3. A macbook would be good for production, a macbook pro would be better but for more power for your € I'd buy a desktop like an iMac or an old G5, laptops are brilliant machines but desktops are more studio/production suited.

4. Depends on the person. Many people do it on their own but it all takes time, persistence and dedication. Some go for courses as well. You can also find online tutorials on various sites, youtube has some decent ones for logic actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

as been said decks wont enable you to make music
    a mac is a great investment even if its just for a home computer.there price is justified imo.logic is imo the best software for making music.yes its only mac but its worth it.
    everything is achieveable by yourself.learn the basics yourself and the rest will follow.it will take a long time though.im doing it 3 years now and im still not happy with my sound but its a big improvementy from a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Chalk and cheese :P
    What about 2Unlimited:D!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice...

I've been thinking about getting a Macbook, the one for around €900(i would go for a desktop but i have one already and spend a lot of time travelling so want something i can take with me) and getting Logic Express.

How essential is Logic Pro Studio to compliment it?.... Is there enough in Express to keep you going?... also if i buy Pro Studio can you use it more then once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Theres something a bit strange with those macbooks for 900 quid...

Im running a Sony Vaio with Vista (was previously using my desktop for audio and this was just for college work), then i sold my cdjs and started using traktor to dj with, at first it was a nightmare on vista, but i looked at a few online guides and optimised it for audio and now everything is running smoothy enough.

I have the exact same soundcard and software setup with my friend who has the cheapest macbook, and for some reason or another my laptop can run better at a better latency than the mac.

I would suggest if you are serious about it to get the newer macbook and shell out the extra cash.

I assume you'd get a very good laptop for €900?

What about music production programmes?, is there many?, cost?, best?

Advertisement