Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint continually flaking on capping stones

Options
  • 17-02-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I have 2 walls built at different times. The capping stones are the same shape and size but seem to be made of different material or a different mix of concrete.They are nothing special - just plain boring 3 foot things. I painted the cappings on both walls but on one of the paint keep flaking and falling off after a couple of months.

Before painting i do use a wire brush to clean then and get rid of the loose paint and any dirt. In fact they are like new the paint comes off so easily. Is there someting i can apply first that will may the paint stay on them ? I'm painting them with dulex weather shield.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

After doing your usual good cleaning, apply stablising solution before putting on the weather sheild...Watchout when using it because its like pi$$ and can stain driveways or paths..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

In other words polybond,it's usually used to stop soakage on plaster board or before painting exterior walls,but should work on your caps. You might try that paint which finishes with a rubber effect,quite thick, no idea where you'd get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

The rubber effect is chlorinated rubber road/swimming pool paint. And the stabling solution is not just polybond, its much better than polybond, its oiled based but you can get the same in a water based solution but I found the oiled based to be better.

Advertisement