Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EDGE Coverage

Options
  • 17-02-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

This doesn't seem to be discussed half as much as it should so...
    What kind of EDGE coverage do people generally get around Ireland? On Meteor is seems to be almost county by county, rather than by populated areas. In Tipperary or Limerick I seem to be able to get EDGE wherever I go but in Kerry I haven't seen it anywhere. Also, how is it for other networks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

AFAIK it's only Meteor and the Point, (oops, meant O2) that do EDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The only place I've been without EDGE on meteor was kinsale I think.. Pretty good elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

O2 have EDGE pretty much everywhere. http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Broadband/Check+Coverage/
    It's a bit glitchy in Kilkenny for some reason, though.
    Vodafone have none, only GPRS and 3G.
    3 also don't have either (AFAIK). They have some weird roaming agreement with Vodafone that doesn't include data.
    Meteor are pretty good for EDGE, too, I think. They don't have a map showing their EDGE coverage however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Yeah Meteor have pretty good EDGE coverage and so do o2. EDGE on o2 is far quicker than Meteors though if I'm honest from past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Using EDGE on Meteor with my iPhone and 3G Broadband on Vodafone on the laptop, I find the Meteor connection is more consistent. The Vodafone 3G seems to appear in bursts, dropping down to gprs every so often on the train journey to/from work, whereas the speed on EDGE seem to be fairly even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

How do i know if i have it?

How do i know if i have it?

When you're using data you should see an "E" on the top left corner of the screen where the little aerial symbol is.
    I think this is the standard symbol for EDGE for all phones, it's the case for Nokias anyways.
    Not all phones can do EDGE now - check www.gsmarena.com to check your phone's specs.

iPhone 3G.

iPhone 3G.

Nice - all iPhones do EDGE.

Good good. Should the 3G symbol be their freqent enough or is the E better?

• Advertisement

Good good. Should the 3G symbol be their freqent enough or is the E better?

3G can be like 3 times faster than EDGE - 3.5G can be ten times faster than 3G.
    And your phone does all of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

The only place I've been without EDGE on meteor was kinsale I think.. Pretty good elsewhere.

Sorry to hear about Kinsale :-)
    I was on Inis Oirr last Summer in the Aran Islands, and had good Meteor EDGE.
    Vodafone and O2 in most places could just about receive calls,
    and I believe 3 had surprisingly good service there, but I can't vouch for it.

The only place I recall being without EDGE on Meteor is on the Limerick/Tipperary border.
    I've been on a data unlimited plan with Meteor since it started up nearly two years ago,
    so I've tried it a lot of places. Currently using a Sony Ericsson C902 with push email
    from a gmail account, and think the service is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

niallb wrote: »
    Currently using a Sony Ericsson C902 with push email
    from a gmail account, and think the service is fantastic.

I thought that Gmail didn't support push yet. Is this a feature of the C902 somehow or some Gmail application?

Advertisement