Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question re Compact Fluorescent Lamp (neon?)

• 18-02-2009 12:26am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've a light fitting in my kitchen which takes a 4-pin fluorescent lamp (shaped a bit like a B) - see LAMP for shape

I replaced the "bulb" at the weekend because it was taking a long to light up, and because it would flicker for ages before actually lighting.

The new "bulb" worked ok for a day or so, but now it's taking yonks to light up again (actually, it seems dead already...).

Do I need to call in an electrician to have a look at the actual base of the lamp, or is there anything that I can check/change on my own without running the risk of getting electrocuted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

New Home wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've a light fitting in my kitchen which takes a 4-pin fluorescent lamp (shaped a bit like a B) - see LAMP for shape

I replaced the "bulb" at the weekend because it was taking a long to light up, and because it would flicker for ages before actually lighting.

The new "bulb" worked ok for a day or so, but now it's taking yonks to light up again (actually, it seems dead already...).

Do I need to call in an electrician to have a look at the actual base of the lamp, or is there anything that I can check/change on my own without running the risk of getting electrocuted?

Thanks.
    there might be a starter you can change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does the bulb you replaced have the same number of connections as the one you took out?

These bulbs are available in "cold" cathode with 2 connections and the "warm" cathode version with 4.

Although it sounds like the new bulb is behaving the same way as the old one, so check the starter if present, as pointed out above...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi there,

It's definitely a 4 pin, like the one I took out. What does the starter look like, and how do I change it? Is it an expensive part? Do I need an electrician or is something I can do, like changing a fuse?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

When you look up at the light fitting you will see a small circular base protruding from the light fitting,it's a bit bigger than a 20cent coin diameter wise,twist this and it should pop out,it looks like a little cyclinder with two prongs on the end with mushroom like heads on them,this is your starter,this is the component that is responsible for the helping to start your lamp,bring it to a hardware store or electrical wholesalers and get a new one,they are cheap.hopefully it solves the problem

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll get the starter replaced (thanks for the excellent explanation pieface_ie) and see if that sorts out the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

im not sure that this fitting would have a starter, most 2d fittings have electronic ballasts and therefore dont have starters.
    do you have the correct wattage in the new lamp that was in the old one?
    if its not the lamp then its more then likely the ballast.
    also what make was the new lamp that you bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jonoor

Its a 4 pin,which makes it an emergancy 2 d fitting,either a 16w or 24 w. check the starter first. The most common fault on an emergency fitting is the inverter pack goes. Your options are simple. Get a sparks to have a look or to replace it.

jonoor wrote: »
    Its a 4 pin,which makes it an emergancy 2 d fitting,either a 16w or 24 w. check the starter first. The most common fault on an emergency fitting is the inverter pack goes. Your options are simple. Get a sparks to have a look or to replace it.
    regular fittings come in 2-pin and 4-pin.i've fitted g.e.t. they're 2-pin and g.e. brio's they're 4-pin with starter (best fitting available imo) .

these fittings come in 16,28,38 and 55 watt. they dont have to be emergency to have 4 pins and i assume the fitting is in a domestic kitchen so i doubt its an emergency. im keen to know the make of lamp as in the site posted by the op its a phillips brand and philips lamps from what i know have difficulty opperating on gear other then phillips gear.

Northdublin - it's a Philips 4-pin 28 Watt bulb - I took the old one down (which was a GE 38 Watt bulb) and went to Homebase with it to get a replacement. I didn't think the wattage would be an issue (but then I'm no expert...) as on the other non-neon fittings different strengths of bulbs can be used. Why would the wattage affect it? :confused: Also, the new bulb worked for about a day before it stopped altogether - feedback would be appreciated.

The fitting is in my kitchen, and there does seem to be a starter - I'll try to get that sorted at the weekend and then I'll post back here to let everyone know how I got on.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Northdublin - it's a Philips 4-pin 28 Watt bulb - I took the old one down (which was a GE 38 Watt bulb) and went to Homebase with it to get a replacement. I didn't think the wattage would be an issue (but then I'm no expert...) as on the other non-neon fittings different strengths of bulbs can be used. Why would the wattage affect it? :confused: Also, the new bulb worked for about a day before it stopped altogether - feedback would be appreciated.

The fitting is in my kitchen, and there does seem to be a starter - I'll try to get that sorted at the weekend and then I'll post back here to let everyone know how I got on.

Thanks again.
    you have to replace with the 'exact' same size bulb and starter .that should solve it.

as dave says they have to be of the same wattage, if you have trouble getting a 38 watt lamp gimme a shout and ill sort ye out.

Thanks for all your help, folks. I changed the starter this afternoon (€1.27 for a pack of two - a bargain!) and the light worked like a charm.

Now, am I looking for trouble using a different wattage bulb (the old one has been disposed of, and I couldn't find one with the same wattage last week), or should I be safe enough? :confused: It still seems to be working ok.

the fitting you have must have a conventional type choke instead of an electronic ballast, have a look at the writing on the choke as it might indicate what wattages it covers.

if it's a 38watt fitting/ballast i would hazard a 'guess' the 28watt bulb will have a short life.never actually tried it .

Advertisement