Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want a radio set with FM/MW/LW

• 18-02-2009 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Any suggestions? It needs to be "fidgetop" in nature ie not some fiddly bedside jobbie. Stereo preferably.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Anything here fancy your tickle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Mike I've a few vintage and love them too. A Roberts, PYE, big ol' valve radiogramme that takes 10 minutes to warm up. But my best one is a 15 year old Sony 2in1. Small but solid sound and on FM it picks up every BBC with absolute clarity and MW and LW get excellent europe reception. If reception's what your looking for I'd look about there. I'll try and get some picks and names if you want.

Exellent, look forward to that :)

Just a thought, FM is an issue due to Newstalk being squezed right at the high end of the waveband. I dunno for sure when the spectrum was expanded to 88-108 but I think it was in the late 70s which would rule out many radios.

• Advertisement

Not up on the vintage radio scene to answer that, but any radio that has names of the stations in pre-1978 MW/LW reorganistaion order, I'd love to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I might be able to sell you a Grundig radio-cassette player if you're interested. Medium, long and short waves and FM. Have to consult its co-owner, though.

Thanks for the provisional offer,

I think I've spotted what I'd be happy with - the Grundig Yacht Boy 210 as it goes to 108 mhz, its also got SW bands as it was designed for use on the open seas, Jim lad.

I've had a little Google on for said radio Mike...looks a little beauty. Halvetia here you come!

Now I've got to find one, what models did you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

humberklog wrote: »
    and on FM it picks up every BBC with absolute clarity

Can you receive BBC on FM in Dublin? I didn't think that was possible.

The Grundig Yacht Boy that you mentioned. I've never heard one but the pic looks smart. As I said I've a few old ones but for the best reception and station range is a simple Sony 2in1. Not a style classic but all the Beebs output without a hiss, nor extending up the ariel.

That Grundig looks perfect to go with a brteakfast of kippers, poached egg, soldiers and a pot of tea with the broadsheets.

radiofoot wrote: »
    Can you receive BBC on FM in Dublin? I didn't think that was possible.
    Depends on the radio used and the weather (or atmospheric wave thingymebobbers). But yeah even in the car. 1, 2 and 5 no problem but 4 is a tricky little bugger by occassion.

The guy selling does'nt post overseas (from Britain) so I've changed tack to the Grundig Concert Boy 1100 which doesn't have as much retro charm but the sound quality get the thumbs up esp on FM.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_concert_boy_1100.html

Another smart looking choice. For this I'd go with the Teddy boy look. Green jacket with round black collars, a pair of crepes on the feet, DA hair-do and an afternoon snack of black pudding, fried bread, frothy coffee and a slice of gur cake.

Oh yes, the Yacht Boy is gorgeous - tiny but strong. I know someone who travels the world with one.

Yes and no on long wave. You can get it on AM by plugging it into your cable, certainly, if you have cable - use a copper-centred washing line, not a coax, wrap it over and shove it into the centre of the FM connector on the cable box, and then twirl the other end (copper bare in both cases) around the aerial of the radio.

I got BBC Radio 4 on an AM radio (720 on the band) upstairs but not downstairs until I dropped that particular radio last week. I'm now using a stylish but slightly useless TEAC - lovely sound, but not a lotta bandwidth.

Hmm, actually I now seem to be getting it on that Grundig (which is a radio, not a radio-cassette, now that I look at it more closely). Though there's a bit of interference from the laptop.

luckat wrote: »

Yes and no on long wave. You can get it on AM by plugging it into your cable, certainly, if you have cable - use a copper-centred washing line, not a coax, wrap it over and shove it into the centre of the FM connector on the cable box, and then twirl the other end (copper bare in both cases) around the aerial of the radio.

I got BBC Radio 4 on an AM radio (720 on the band) upstairs but not downstairs until I dropped that particular radio last week.

Hey Luckat is that washing line set up for receiving the Beeb? I'm in central Dublin and i simply get it on fm even without the ariel raised.
    I'll record wht I can get and put it up on a link by tomorrow. I'll do a dj to the djs.

The Beeb is very variable around Dublin. You can receive it clear as day on FM in some places (where on the band are you getting it, btw, and which Beeb station) and not at all in others.

And some sets. That Grundig is getting the World Service on long wave, though a little blurrily, while the Teac won't get any BBC at all.

Just had a nostalgic flashback on ebay

230951627_o.jpg

We had one of these when I was a nipper.

Yep I'll bid for it. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LOL, used to be one of those in our house too, many moons ago!

• Advertisement

Nice find! Deffo pre-1978,

Details of the BBC frequency changes in 1978 are here.

We also had one of these

u591lrg.jpg

and a ITT TINY automatic 103 which I cant find a decent pic of.

and not forgeting

0561.jpg

those roller drum controls were rubbish.

3314522815_bc2a2ca56d_m.jpg

Did you buy a radio yet Mike and if so what did you get?

This is a Roberts I have kicking around the place. The Child of Prague was glued onto the tuning dial after purchase.

Nope I had my eye on something that was 4 euro and went for over 50 three days later!

I went through the radios I might have been interested in, checked the bidders and there was one guy who is a collector and he's got money! Result - inflationary prices for old radios right now.

I'll hold my fire until I sport what I'd like for a Buy it Now price that I'm happy with (and from a seller who'll post overseas).

That pic ain't loading!

It did but then I went and deleted it from flickr page. Forgot it'd drop from here too. I'll upload again later.
    Mike I do be around the charity shops here in Dublin. If I come across something fitting your bill and budget I'll pick it up.

3317285362_af95c2158c.jpg

Which model is that - it looks like it might have mystical powers!

If you spot something try to make it a Grundig for the extra FM waves (88.5-108) :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Which model is that - it looks like it might have mystical powers!

If you spot something try to make it a Grundig for the extra FM waves (88.5-108) :)
    I've a sharp eye. You never know. I'm chasing a Brownie Kodak 127 in a shop at the moment and they've a few radios too, but not sure of what makes.
    As for model of my radio I'll only be able to check later in week. It could do with some divine intervention as it's a bit hissy. But it's the likes of that that I come across. So much so I can even abuse them with superglue and religious icons.
    I've yet to get a few other shots of my other radios developed.

Advertisement