Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Photo Game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

easy one (for some)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

easy one (for some)

That's an understatement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

easy one (for some)

Old cinema in Milford

Milford it is

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Ok, here's a really easy one, connected to my first so far unsolved entry, really pretty,

100_0511.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Is it down by tormore island?

muckish wrote: »
    Is it down by tormore island?

Looks like a cracking spot but access to this place looks near impossible.

http://www.coastalhelicopterview.ie/imf5104/imf.jsp?site=Helicopter&qlyr=Helicopter&qry=url='50557.jpg'&qzoom=true&qbuf=1500&qhlt=true

is it the foot of Slieve League?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

is it port ?

Further round, northeast, than Port, past Tormore, it's Glenlough beach and cliffs. totally spectacular. The first picture is of the ruins where Dylan Thomas stayed in the 1930's. The stone face appeared in my viewfinder, the ghost of Thomas.

A two hour hill walk in from the road, a wee half gate, at Straboy, then a two hour walk out again. Fairly hard work especially on way out. Actually, we nearly got heat stroke it was so hot climbing out of the isolated valley of Glenlough.

Cliffs and beach were worth it all.

• Advertisement

going to go there, looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Durnish wrote: »
    Further round, northeast, than Port, past Tormore, it's Glenlough beach and cliffs. totally spectacular. The first picture is of the ruins where Dylan Thomas stayed in the 1930's. The stone face appeared in my viewfinder, the ghost of Thomas.

A two hour hill walk in from the road, a wee half gate, at Straboy, then a two hour walk out again. Fairly hard work especially on way out. Actually, we nearly got heat stroke it was so hot climbing out of the isolated valley of Glenlough.

Cliffs and beach were worth it all.

Not being familiar with the area, could you point it out on a map please? :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Ok, here's a really easy one, connected to my first so far unsolved entry, really pretty,

100_0511.jpg

That looks amazing please send me directions.

Well, thanks folks.
    Glenlough, easily findable in OSI map viewer. The small half gate at Straboy is easily missed. There is a wee layby on the roadside, looking across lake to old Lougheraherk school house (now private). First time we did it, we asked a very kind gentleman on the road who directed us to follow the rough washed away track up to the white rocks, an almost vertical slab of shiny quartzite. Once at the white rock you can see a rough white stone track which winds up and down and gradually disintegrates past the sheep pen. Follow quad track down to lakes and find the dry gully (must be a glacial feature) between the lakes
    This leads down to the Glenlough cottages. We found the going quite easy due to the stunted vegetation from the cold winter,dry spring and killing May storm. From the cottages the way to the cliffs is self explanatory.

I would not attempt to get down to the beach/shore unless very experienced and prepared with ropes etc. and emergency help numbers.

One can, of course, walk round from Port but the climb back up Port Hill from the north is soul destroying.

There are streams to cross and bogs to slide into so go prepared. Also, take insect repellant.

It is sheep country so keep dogs under control on a lead or better still, leave them behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Great stuff Durnish. I remember looking at that general area on www.osi.ie a while back as there were a coupe loughs i there that would make for a nice days fishing. It looked to me like it may be more approachable from one of the roads (after parking and a good hike of course) coming out of Ardara.

wanna see the lakes? One has a crannog in it, lough Anafrin.

wanna see the lakes? One has a crannog in it, lough Anafrin.

Oooh, please.

Ok, I have better pics from previous trips but this will do for now,

Looking down on Lough Annafrinn, crannog tucked away on the right.

loughAnnafrinn.jpg

When heading to Glenlough cottages aim for the v point of the lough at the west tip. The dry gully is down from that.

Here is a close up of the crannog, not listed anywhere but the white stones and the causeway are visible in dry weather when lake level lowers.
    100_0483.jpg

Lovely, dies that area get many people going through it?

• Advertisement

err, no! The hike out is fairly daunting. Prob more people walk round from Port. We saw one other person that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dr. Fell

Hootanany wrote: »
    That looks amazing please send me directions.

an cladagh móre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Dr. Fell wrote: »
    an cladagh móre

Ohhh:confused:

to quote the great Richie Cavanaugh,

"and me not know no Focal at all"

Name the lough?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

slimboyfat wrote: »