Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters for summer house

• 18-02-2009 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice please. My parents have a summer house which we'd like to use all year round. Its a concrete 3 bed bungalow, about 900sq ft total. While there are plug in electric heaters in each room, and a great pot belly fire in the main room, the problem is because we don't go down every weekend - perhaps only 1 weekend a month, the place gets cold and feels damp (isn't actually damp as no moisture). When we're downt there, we can heat the place up, but because the visits are so infrequent, it never gets fully aired out.

What we're hoping to do is put in storage heaters, that we could perhaps time to come on once a week for a few hours, or even an hour a day. (doesn't matter what time of the day obviously). Putting in central heating isn't a road we want to go down (lot of work and hassle), so we were thinking storage heaters.

Does anyone have any suggestions of which storage heaters to go for? Or is there a different option that we haven't considered?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the leading brands are similar afaik.a seperate 'nsh' meter rather than nightsaver
    will prob be more economical for this and maybe a 'devireg' or similar to automate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jonoor

Dimplex storage heaters are good. different sizes needed to suit size of rooms to heat. a storage heater needs a good few hours of power to heat the bricks so they can give off heat long enough to work.nsh metres a possibity,but seems that its only on once/twice a week might just be as well as to install a 7 day timer instead.Dont forget, Cause your not there when on that they are mounted well away from any flamable objects.curtains,sofas etc

Hope this helps.:)

it costs 211 for the nsh meter plus a bit extra work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Alowe,

I would suggest installing a combi storage heater in your living room and a non- instantaneous storage heater in your hall way. Leaving out none in the bedrooms.

A combi heater in the sitting room allows both the use of stored heat from overnight charge and instantaneous heat from inbuilt convector heater.
    Why a storage heater in the hall? If the bedrooms are near the hall doors can be left open and there would be adequate heat available to heat them. The heat generated from these is enormous. Measure the size of your sitting room and your wholesaler will recomment the size to purchase. You would need to get a night saver meter installed for this to work but it has its benefits allowing your heaters to charge at off peak tarrifs. You could if you wished put panel heaters in the bedrooms which are mountd to the walls but I wouldnt think it would be neccesary with the size of your bungalow similar to my own.
    When installing your heaters you will have to wire a direct new circuit to each could be easy could be tricky depending on your house. Also you can put a timer module in the fuseboard to adjust the charging time. Your house will be perfect if you leave at least one of the storage heaters on while ur gone.
    I could give you a quote for this if you emailed me your room sizes and requirements. My website is listed on my contact info where you will find all details and about my company
    Regards Anthony.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

cossworxenergy, you're welcome to give advice on this forum as is every other poster. You need to stop pimping your business in your posts on the forum though.

If you wish to be listed in the '[Sticky]Need an Electrical Contractor? Look Here!' thread you can PM myself or stoner and we'll update it.

The forum would be over run with adverts if we allowed this type of post, have a read of the forum charter and then PM if you wish to discuss.

• Advertisement

i misread the post .if you're going to be using the house 'all year round' you may have additional off-peak usage.if so nightsaver could work out more economical and easier to install .

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Thanks for the replies. Will be down there this weekend hopefully, so will take full measurements and discuss with the parents what they want to do.

thanks again

Advertisement