Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm lost with all the healthy websites

• 18-02-2009 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I'm posting here because I'm a bit lost with all the goods and bads on websites.
    I have a few things that I need to sort out ,through my diet and exercise.
    Gave up the drink a few weeks back ,haven't eaten any crap in two weeks and started exercising yesterday.
    My problem is ,I don't really know how to approach the diet end of things. Not sure what type of foods are good for lowering cholesterol and providing energy so I can exercise.

At the moment ,I'm eating mostly carb based foods with a little fish.
    Anyone point me in the right direction ,I'm genuinely trying to make an effort ,but I just can't grasp the diet thing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Hi yoshytoshy,

Well done on making a start! What are your goals? (e.g. lose weight, get fitter etc)

Maybe if you post up a typical day's diet people can make suggestions for changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Hi litup ,thanks:)

My current weight is 255Lbs :( ,cholesterol is 7
    Need to get things sorted ,fitness will hopefully be part of it but my health is probably the most important.
    Went out at 6am for 30 minutes of hard cycling and plan to go out for same later on today ,this will be my daily routine weather permitting partly.

Diet at the moment
    Breakfast :All bran + wholemeal toastX2 + tea ,have this every morning.
    Snack : Eat bread usually as a snack ,may change to rivita etc.
    Lunch : pasta with olive oil and some herbs or tinned tuna with tomatoe and wholegrain bread.
    Snack : Yogurt ,always eat activia yogurts maybe 2 at once.

Dinner : Pasta with olive oil + peppers + onion + herbs or
    Donegal catch + sweetcorn or
    Stir fry vegtables + oven cooked breast/fillet of chicken.

Then maybe more yogurt ,tea and even toast aswell sometimes.

So I'm open to suggestions and I'm willing to try anything to be honest , as long as it's not frogs legs or escargos:p

Graci :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ok,
    All Bran is basically Rubbish (about 30% sugar) and with two slices of toast this is a Carb fest. Try a Bowl of porridge or an omelette for breakfast instead.

Don't eat bread as a snack, try fruit or nuts.

You have pasta for lunch and dinner, this is a disaster!!

More bread for Supper....

Basically you seem to be getting 80% of you calories from carbs, you should really only be getting about 20-30%. Introduce protein into all your meals (chicken, Fish, turkey, lean meats etc). Eat more fruit and vegetables. Try chicken/tuna salads for lunch. Have meat and two veg for (or stir fries) dinner.

When i lived a year in Italy I put on 20lbs, I am convinced it was from eating pasta every day (sometimes twice a day). For some reason we are convinced over here that it is healthy because it is Italian, well it really is not!! (But try brown pasta if you must have it).
    Also keep your portions small, it is easy to overdo portions with things like pasta without noticing. Only eat as much as is necessary to get rid of your hunger.

Appreciate that menoscemo ,
    I'm suprised to hear that about all bran ,porridge is no problem and I have a bag of it in the press anyways;)

I was trying to stay away from eggs because of what the caloriecount website said about eggs. It says they are full of cholesterol:(
    Obviously there is good and bad cholesterol ,I love eggs and thought I'd have to give them up.

Pasta will be getting a wide berth from me from now on.
    I'm getting there ,cheers.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

Hey Yoshy,

Why not have a flick through the food diary threads to get a feel for the kind of things you should be eating. MusicMental posted a whole load of recipes in hers which might be useful to you.

There's also some great info in the stickies about basic nutrition to get you started. Try a website like fitday.com which tracks your calories, fat etc and also monitors your vitamin intake so you can see where you're lacking.

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

nice one serafijn ,
    music mentals recipes sound delicious ,I had to stop at post 20 because it was making me hungry:p
    Fair play to her ,best posting I've seen on boards in a while.

Im off to stalk some brocolli:D

Advertisement