Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Headin over for uefa cup game thurs week and was wondering how far tott hale from centre of london is? ( all the years im going over you'd think id know that one!) anyhow for a night out after the game is it better to stay in tott hale or kip down in london. Any ideas on reasonably priced hotels etc. Help would be most appreciated coz i dont have a clue on this one.

Baz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Tottenham Hale is 15 minutes from Liverpool Street by train, around the same by tube to Kings Cross.

I know nothing about clubs in London, but I do know there are quite a few boozers around Liverpool Street station. What exactly are you looking for in terms of a night out, how many of you are travelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Cheers for that , didnt know how far lane was from tott hale..prob 3 heading over ..thinking of pub crawl before and after game ..where would ye recommend staying hotel wise?...any suggestions,

White Hart Lane to Tottenham Hale will take you about 25mins to walk.

Pre-game I'd recommend a few beers in Hamilton Halls at Liverpool Street (or any of the number of pubs around that area) then jump on train to White Hart Lane station, pop into the Bricklayers Arms for more beer, there's usually a good buzz in there. Alternatively head towards Covent Garden then tube around to Liv St again to get the train up, or tube to 7 Sisters.

Hotels? I've stayed in a few up Finsbury Park way, very very basic (no bar, so no late drink!). One is the Pembury near Finsbury Park tube station. Another option near there is Jurys in Islington.

Near Covent Garden the Strand Palace is good value, it's clean rooms are a decent size. Nit sure about res bar though.

Could do worse than any number of Holiday Inns, there's one in Walthamstow which is a short taxi journey from Spurs, and I think they serve drink until late.

I'm staying in the Radisson in Stansted, I'll head there straight after the game and grab a beer before I get my head down. 2 min walk to terminal as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Best deal I've got recently has been in Travelodges. There's one right beside Liverpool St station which is dead handy for the Stansted Express and the train to WHL. It's pretty basic but comfy enough, and when you book far enough in advance you can get a room for £19 (for up to 4 people depending on the room).

Best bet regarding clubs etc is to get a copy of TimeOut when you land over there (do Easons in town still sell it?) and go through their listings, find out what's actually on that night.

Would definitely say head into London for the night as opposed to Tottenham Hale, not much out that way at all from what I've seen. Prematch I'd probably go out to WHL and have a few pints in the pubs around there.

Remembering of course that it's an evening kick-off, so will be near 10 before the match is over. And it's the second leg so could go to extra-time/penalties as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Hearvee wrote: »
    Best deal I've got recently has been in Travelodges. There's one right beside Liverpool St station which is dead handy for the Stansted Express and the train to WHL. It's pretty basic but comfy enough, and when you book far enough in advance you can get a room for £19 (for up to 4 people depending on the room).

There is also a TraveLodge at Covent Garden - as mentioned before,Covent Garden is a great place for a pub crawl after the game, lots of pubs all in one area and then crawl back to your cosy room at the Travelodge.

Liverpool street to WHL station is your only man - and you can jump on the tube from Covent Garden! All in all the Travelodge Covent Garden, Liverpool street, WHL is a great and easy weekend trip, done it many times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Cheers for all yer replies lads . top notch. Looking at the holiday Inn in walthamstow. Is this far from a)ground? and b) getting stansted express in tott hale? and would ye guys know of any recommended bars in walthamstow.

Baz

Hotel is about 5km from WHL. You would need to get a taxi.

Walthamstow Central station (Victoria Line) is about 1.5km south of the hotel, you can transfer at Tottenham Hale on to the Victoria Line to get a tube there, or get a taxi from Tott Hale to the hotel (I'd reckon about £12-15 fare)

IIRC, the hotel can arrange a hackney can to pick you up after the game and bring you back to the hotel, I was certainly told that by a fellow Yid who stayed there.

I have no idea what the place is like for bars.

Have a look at the Holiday Inn website for the hotel, there's a google map which will give you some idea of distances.

Advertisement