Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Nutrigenomics Study - Volunteers Wanted, Some Interesting Benefits!

• 18-02-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'm currently involved in the running of a National Nutritional Study and as part of this we are under taking a Nutrigenomics study in the Dublin area.

For those who aren't sure what Nutrigenomics is about, it is the field of study that examines how the interaction between genetics and nutrition affects human health. The program, called JINGO MECHE (http://www.ucd.ie/jingo/research_programme/index.html) is currently in the recruitment phase and as such we are looking for volunteers.

Why volunteer? Well, there are several benefits to volunteering that may of particular interest to users of this forum, including:

* A general blood check (diabetes, cholesterol, anaemia…)

* An assessment of your fitness, strength, body fat and bone density using state-of-the-art equipment (this is of particular interest to users of the Fitness forum, and would usually be rather expensive)

* All travel costs are reimbursed, food is provided when you visit us

If you are interested and would either like to participate or get more information, just send an email to:

jingo@ucd.ie

I'll even make it easier and draft the email for you!

Hello,

My name is X and I am interested in volunteering/learning more about the JINGO MECHE study.

In order to be eligible, you must be:

* Aged 18 – 60 years

* Not treated for any medical condition

* Resident in the Dublin area

If you are unsure if you fit in either of these categories, just ask in the email. From my own personal end, I would be particularly interested in overweight/obese individuals who would like to volunteer although people of all weights are welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

What time would you need to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

totoal wrote: »
    What time would you need to go?
    Yes, what times and days would it be on, and for how long per session and how long overall (i.e. weeks)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

In general, it's a brief screening visit in the morning to ensure eligibility (performed in St. Vincent's Hospital) and then if successful three more mornings, two in Vincent's and one at the Sports and Health center at UCD.

In terms of dates, these are reasonably flexible in favour of volunteer (e.g. your) availability.

This can all be performed in as little 3 weeks or if needs be spread out over a longer period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

I am interested but not living in the dublin area. Am in Dublin at least once a forthnight to see d folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josiegrosie

hi are you still looking for volunteers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Yep recruitment is ongoing for the next year/18 months.

Advertisement