Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky A/C Closed - Still Charging

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

My wife had an account with Sky which she closed over two years ago when she moved in with me (before we got married). She just found out that they have been charging her 15 euro a month by direct debit. She has statements going back a few months and its on all of them so she has probably been charged since the account was closed.

OK she should have spotted it but anyway she tried calling them but they said they can't help without a viewing card or account number which she doesn't have since the account is closed over 2 years. They said to try emailing them which we did but I just keep getting the same reply back - we need the a/c or viewing card number.

She has cancelled the direct debit but I'm just wondering would we have any come back here to get a refund. Strange thing is that they are charging 15 euro a month when the minimum subscription for Sky is about 21 euro. Looks like they're charging for Sky+ on a cancelled account?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why do people never cancel their direct debits? Never assume the business will stop it for you, it's your responsibility too.

She can query the charges with the bank, but since it's been going on for a while without being questioned, I don't know how far she'll get. Write a letter to Sky's accounts department. She'll probably need her original account number, and they should be able to see the mistake and refund the payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

she should write to sky giving her previous address where her account was which should be enough to identify her account and ask why they continued to charge her after she had cancelled her service, and also copy the letter to the consumer associations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

I know this is kinda off the subject, but if i cancel my sky subscription, would i still be able to view some of the channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Orls81 wrote: »
    I know this is kinda off the subject, but if i cancel my sky subscription, would i still be able to view some of the channels?
    yes you will still have freeview channels as long as you still have the dish and sky box, google to find out how it is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

zac8 wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    First, I'd try ringing Sky again, and maybe even record (with permission!) the conversation saying they refuse to deal with the complaint without an account number/viewing card number, and that an name+address isn't enough.

Secondly, I'd ring the bank and explain that Sky have been taking money contrary to their notice to you, under the Direct Debit scheme. The bank have an obligation to query the amounts with the originator. Trying to convince the bank of this obligation is another matter. Lookup the Direct Debit scheme on ipso.ie, and quote from that if needs be. The bank will probably need this in writing as well.
    jor el wrote: »
    Why do people never cancel their direct debits?
    because most banks deny all of their Direct Debit scheme responsibilities. All the main banks are quick to say they are 3rd party to the contract (between you and originator), and all the main banks have refused to stop DD orders on accounts of people I know personally.

Couple that with those on Direct Debit Plus schemes, where the originator can enable, or (much more worryingly) re-enable orders without any written confirmation from you (that's how all the big companies can sign you up over the phone). Yes, the theory is that they'd never re-enable without your consent, and that they'd notify you. The practives of BT Ireland, NTL (now UPC) and Vodafone have, in my personal experience, been to the contrary. Again, asking the bank to sort this out usually requires going all postal or all legal, because most customer-facing staff (in my expereince, and in the experiences of people I know) tell you otherwise.

DD is a complete mess and is not enforced by the banks, as faciliators, or IPSO, as the umbrella organisation, or IFSRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

cgarvey wrote: »
    First, I'd try ringing Sky again, and maybe even record (with permission!) the conversation saying they refuse to deal with the complaint without an account number/viewing card number, and that an name+address isn't enough.

Secondly, I'd ring the bank and explain that Sky have been taking money contrary to their notice to you, under the Direct Debit scheme. The bank have an obligation to query the amounts with the originator. Trying to convince the bank of this obligation is another matter. Lookup the Direct Debit scheme on ipso.ie, and quote from that if needs be. The bank will probably need this in writing as well.

we'll try that. thanks!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

2 years is a long time to be ignoring payments...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

First thing go to your bank and request back statements of your account going back since the time you cancelled - it'll cose you a few quid maybe at the most a 10 and they'll take a few days to arrive.
    When you get hose make copies of them all blank out anything your not happy for sky to see and highlight each time €15.00 was taken under there name, Call someone in sky billing with the list which will have dates of every single payment, and also just have the full total done before hand. something in and around €360 if it was the full 2 years.
    Agree with nothing less than the full amount to be payed back to you, its your money after all, just be as calm and polite as possible on the phone, offer to mail them the copy of the statements if needs be.

I'm not saying that I'm a genius but I worked in banks for a long time and as above convincing them to do this for you could take more time and effort than just grabbing the statements and calling sky's billing department.

Depending on the bank I know old bank that I worked for could, they can actually give you a print off of the directdebit which will generally have some sort of reference which you may be able to use with sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

thanks everyone for the advice. we finally got it sorted. it was the sky plus that they forgot to cancel.

in my last email i sent to them i asked for it to be passed onto the complaints department and that was when they became more helpful. full refund of over €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

zac8 wrote: »
    thanks everyone for the advice. we finally got it sorted. it was the sky plus that they forgot to cancel.

in my last email i sent to them i asked for it to be passed onto the complaints department and that was when they became more helpful. full refund of over €500.

There isnt a complaints dept, i am speaking for sky uk anyway i am sure ireland is the same. There is a correspondence address in glasgow iirc and they (sky) dont forward complaints, the onus is on the cust to contact them via snail mail.

This is why its a good idea to password protect your account with sky in this case i am sure the person looking to cancel the dd could have been identified and verified with their old address and password

Or maybe the person she spoke to first didnt know what to do so said they couldnt help because even when a cust cancels the account it stays in the database and is easily accessible to any sky agent (providing it is the cust/ex cust on the line and relevant details have been given)

Glad you got sorted op :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cgarvey wrote: »

DD is a complete mess and is not enforced by the banks, as faciliators, or IPSO, as the umbrella organisation, or IFSRA.

When you think about it - it is disgraceful that IPSO which his basically a company set up to be a spokesperson for the electronics payment industry should be in total charge of the direct debit system. Now would be a good time with the emphasis on regulation to try and make a push to have the scheme revised so that it doesnt totally favour the banks and business all of whom make loads of money from it. How much money must the banks make every month through missed direct debit charges? While the ESB and UPC to my certain knowledge charge for missed dd payments too even though customers are not informed of this when they sign up for dd!

I have just emailed IPSO asking why they do not enforce the notice period of the scheme and who regulates them and who can I formally complain to about their failure to enforce the scheme - it will be interesting to see what their response is.

Advertisement