Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Towncentre

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I've just relocated to the midlands and was wondering if Athlone Towncentre is any good of a place to head for a days shopping? Only thing I've heard so far is that the parking is a bit tricky there... mutistorey etc. Is the shopping any good there?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

geelong17 wrote: »
    I've just relocated to the midlands and was wondering if Athlone Towncentre is any good of a place to head for a days shopping? Only thing I've heard so far is that the parking is a bit tricky there... mutistorey etc. Is the shopping any good there?

parking is grand if you can get into it. There is a car park on the ballymahon road out of athlone just down the road from the town centre and parking is a lot cheaper. Its generally busy though as its all day parking for €2 so a lot of workers around use it.

As for the shopping centre - i'm from athlone and have only been in it about 5 times of which 4 of them were to get planning maps in click!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 geelong17

thanks, are the shops decent there? Have been on the website and the names look good but is the selection in the stores up to say a whitewater or a mahon point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Dont expect to much, a lot of shops in there are closed down and I heard this week the shopping centre is up for sale.

Which shops are closed? How much is parking? I've heard its a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

geelong17 wrote: »
    Which shops are closed? How much is parking? I've heard its a rip off
    It is worth a visit. Its spacious, bright and there is only Zavvi closed that i noticed. I put advertising posters up in loads of malls all around the midlands and this is as good as any. Because I'm a bloke though (single minded posters up, posters down)I cant say what shops I've noticed in there. They must have a web site though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

Thanks all... was in there on Saturday and was very impressed. Some shops there you'd only get in Dublin, so was surprised to see them in Athlone. Its no Dundrum, so it wont stop me going there every few months, and I was annoyed Zavvi was closed (I thought HMV had bought them out?), but for a local shopping trip i'll defo be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

the only thing it really has going for it is a good H&M and a decent Next. Zara is ok. most shops are way too small to even enjoy shopping in the and the marks is a flippin joke.
    Go down the town, you will bet better shops.

Topshop, Oasis, River Island, Promod, & Pepe all have some stuff I like. Not much elsewhere in Athlone for me judging by a quick walk about in Golden Island. Is there any chance of Debenhams coming to Athlone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

anyone know the best way to get into the athlone town centre carpark coming from mountbellew?? need to drive thru the town???

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

The Golden Island Shopping Centre has a much better athmosphere and there is free parking for 2 hours

Advertisement