Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Accent Abroad

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Has it worked to your Benifit or not.

When in America the accent was loved, but when in Krakov it attracted unwanted stares.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I find it's generally dependent on the person it's attached to.

Fat sweaty guy- Fail.

Handsome charming bastard- Winner.

Thankfully I'm the latter so it's always worked a treat.

For some reason people are afraid of you if you're Irish in some parts of America- could never fathom it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Cork accent :at home or abroad = arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

About a year and a half ago I was talking to a black guy in Madrid who was originally from Harlem. He kopped fairly quickly I was Irish and proceeded to inform me that it I walked down a street in Harlem I'dprobably be shot because being Irish they'd assume I was a cop.

Bloody racist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Irish accent in the UK during the 70's/80's was not looked upon favourably by by a large portion of the local populace, especially in 'Squaddie' towns - hence my hastly cultivated WestBrit/English/Scots accent that has lingered on well past it's sell by date. I still have people asking me if I'm british or even canadian for some bizare reason.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

corkhero wrote: »

When in America the accent was loved, but when in Krakov it attracted unwanted stares.
    Funny you should mention Krakow, when I was there I had a great time with the locals except for one girl who couldn't (or wouldn't) differentiate between my accent and the English accent. She decided she didn't like me based on the fact that she didn't like English people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

About a year and a half ago I was talking to a black guy in Madrid who was originally from Harlem. He kopped fairly quickly I was Irish and proceeded to inform me that it I walked down a street in Harlem I'dprobably be shot because being Irish they'd assume I was a cop.

Bloody racist!!

:pac::pac: To be honest thats brilliant. I'm fairly sure he was messing with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ukraine_orange

My accent works fine in Norwegian. Epic fail in French.

It works wonders in Australia.. You can get away with pretty much anything with the Irish accent and a bit of tact.

Asia - They never really noticed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nothing to report, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Donegal accent works great, majority of the time, everywhere. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

R0ot wrote: »
    Donegal accent works great, majority of the time, everywhere. :D

Mostly, but at a train station in southern Italy, I tried asking one of the staff for directions in my best attempt at Italian.
    He thought I was German!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Over here in UK it works wonders. It's basically a chatup line in itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

corkhero wrote: »

Type slower, I can't understand you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

i moved here for the irish accent.big mistake going to cork first! some of the dub accents are impossible to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

About a year and a half ago I was talking to a black guy in Madrid who was originally from Harlem. He kopped fairly quickly I was Irish and proceeded to inform me that it I walked down a street in Harlem I'd probably be shot because being Irish they'd assume I was a cop.

I lived in Harlem for a year and a half. Didn't happen.

To be honest, I assumed that the Irish accent would be an advantage to me living in NYC, but it hasn't really seemed to be. We're way to common here for anybody to raise an eyebrow. I don't know, maybe I'd be worse off without it - impossible to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I've found that no-one can distinguish the Irish accent from that of my home planet, Klendathu.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

phasers wrote: »
    Cork accent :at home or abroad = arsehole

Great work there phasers. I'm sure you've impressed everyone with your intelligent and witty comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I like the accent spoken as loud as possible. It gives ample warning that you are approaching a fat, crimson-faced cunt in a Gah jersey and enable you to take immediate, evasive action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

spillcoe wrote: »
    Great work there phasers. I'm sure you've impressed everyone with your intelligent and witty comment.

Gtfo you Cluchie!

peace.

Advertisement