Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pronunciation Police

• 18-02-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I heard on Morning Ireland that RTE are to educate their presenters in the "correct" pronunciation of words, placenames etc. Will this mean the end of Kenny's "modren", Ryan's "paydoefeels", Dobson's "feena gwayol"? Personally I can't see these particular arrogant p**cks changing their ways, more likely they'll devote a whole programme to convincing us to see it their way. It'll be interesting to see if the AA "rowdwatch" goons latch on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Heard that, Baldoyle woman Doireann NíBhriain looks like the person who put it in place.

Will is stop:

Meeeriam O'Callaghan/Marrk Little saying 'geh' instead of get? 'thah' instead of that?

Charles Bird saying 'certaintly' iso 'certainly'?
    John Murray saying'qwater' iso quarter
    Joooooe Duffy saying 'Yooman' iso 'human'

Des Cahill saying 'Duunnigall' iso Donegal 'boos' iso 'bus' 'anyway' after every lame joke.

O'Mhuirceartaig dropping the 's' to speed up the commentary.

Somehow I doubt it.

Like the Skibbereen Eagle, I will be keeping an ear out.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Isn't it a bit about accents though rather than purposely mispronouncing something. There's a difference I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Someone tell Matt Cooper that there's an RP seminar coming up after the "nooos" - to be held this sahherday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm a fan of the accent thing myself - preferable to homogeneity any day. One thing I'm not a fan of however is the sibilance on a 'T'. Used to hear it all the time on Cooper at the ad break, this bird going "TLS with Mass Cooper on Tssooday FM", do my nut every time. There are many other guilty parties just can't think of 'em at the mo. I know Gaybo had a thing about this a while ago but it's 'bout the only thing I'd have to agree with him on.

I heard Dobbins going on about not being able to pronounce 'nuclear' correctly. 'Parently there's only 2 syllables as in newclear and not new clee er. Now there's one for the pedants pocket book. Have to admit I wasn't aware of this. Find the 'rood wotch' biddies more offensive myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadly this covers RTE only so Matt "whidtch" Cooper gets off scott free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

In all my life I've only heard the word 'proven' pronounced properly on tv/radio.

Its pro-ven not prue-vin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Phototoxin wrote: »
    In all my life I've only heard the word 'proven' pronounced properly on tv/radio.

Its pro-ven not prue-vin

Eh? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Phototoxin wrote: »

Its pro-ven not prue-vin
    In fact, Prov'n or Proov'n are both correct.

I hope they pull presenters up on inclining upwards at the end of a sentence or a word, as if everything is a question.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I hope they pull presenters up on inclining upwards at the end of a sentence or a word, as if everything is a question.

I believe this is known as a 'rising terminal'. Very annoying, like you learned your English in a youth hostel run by smarmy backpacking antipoedeans?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Affectations annoy the hole off me. Give me a good healthy mis-pronunciation or strong regional accent all day but but when it's intentionally distorted for social/political/professional elevation then get your fecking coat...you're off the air!
    But one letter's pronunciation (which has been covered here in the past) above all that shudders my soul is Aarr T E. Good god it makes molars ache.
    It was explained to me by a producer friend in Aarr T E that the management are very strong in its favour (and insistance) and are so as they believe it to be the correct Irish way. I couldn't give a fuddler's fick for Irish pronunciations.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Affectations annoy the hole off me. Give me a good healthy mis-pronunciation or strong regional accent all day but but when it's intentionally distorted for social/political/professional elevation then get your fecking coat...you're off the air!
    But one letter's pronunciation (which has been covered here in the past) above all that shudders my soul is Aarr T E. Good god it makes molars ache.
    It was explained to me by a producer friend in Aarr T E that the management are very strong in its favour (and insistance) and are so as they believe it to be the correct Irish way. I couldn't give a fuddler's fick for Irish pronunciations.

Talking about strong accents, did you hear Dave McHugh on the Mooney show yesterday??

Fair play to Mooney .I think he is a very good interviewer. Asks the awkward questions.

Was a bit distracted but ,my jaysus, there is a Dublin accent.

Shalom;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

there is a Dublin accent.

Shalom;)
    I caught that and the ex-Guinness guy today. Gorgeously juicey accents. Were your toes curling FB?

Is a pigs pussy pork?:D:D:D

Fair play to Mooney .I think he is a very good interviewer.

But he has one of the worst broadcasting voices ever to grace our airwaves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does anyone else find Jim Fahy's pronunciation of "minutes" annoying?

"Several min yootes later, the alarm was raised........" etc.

Perhaps it is the correct pronunciation but it sounds very pretentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

17 posts about pronunciation and no mention of Plastic Sheeting?

Shome mishtake shurley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

The voiceovers on the ads for the Ian Dempsey Breakfashow.

Newsreaders often slaughter place names in the UK - Derbyshire, Warwickshire, Hertfordshire. I've even heard a newsreader pronounce "Norwich" "Nore-witch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Perhaps they'll bring about the redundancy of that icky promo that runs on Today FM throughout the day, where a breathless Foxrock type whispers "stoo- jay aff amm as if it actually represented something meaningful, when in reality it sounds rather like a well off emphysema sufferer practising a random bunch of syllables.

And not a minute too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I believe this is known as a 'rising terminal'. Very annoying, like you learned your English in a youth hostel run by smarmy backpacking antipoedeans?
    You have got to be kidding me! An Irish person taking the mick out of the way Aussies speak.

Emmm I don't tink dat dis is roight.

:D

dSTAR wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding me! An Irish person taking the mick out of the way Aussies speak.

Yes, a Paddy taking the Mick, what a palaver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I hope it stops Gerry Ryan saying cerviacal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gerry Ryan insists on Thigh-Land (with a heavy 'Thigh'), Dunphy's pronunciation & diction makes him sound like he's semi 'locked' or 'punch drunk', Pat Kenny always says 'Courtesy' with a heavy 'COURT', and Matt Cooper talks about being 'Thought' Irish True-out his school life :D

Oops, sorry, I forgot Matt wasn't wit RTE.

P.S I've also noticed several RTE presenters talking about 'Colleums' meaning 'Columns' I presume :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"adver-tizzzmint" and "adver-ties-mint" Annoys the hell outta me.

Ad-ver-tis-ment. Short 'S' people, SHORT S!

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

You know the guy on TV3,the skinney blond guy sometimes does the weather forecast on the morning programme.I cant rember his name.He is forever saying YEZZ(as in "how are yezz going")and "how are youzz",it really gets on my nerves.

Thats right, and he's another one who drops the H and says 'True-out the day' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

holly1 wrote: »
    You know the guy on TV3,the skinney blond guy sometimes does the weather forecast on the morning programme.I cant rember his name.He is forever saying YEZZ(as in "how are yezz going")and "how are youzz",it really gets on my nerves.

Sorry about putting my comment on the Radio thread,I have only copped it now:confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Any presenter I've heard on Phantom has shocking pronunciation! Mary-land for 'Mariland'.

They used to call The Noisettes the 'Nuawsettes'. And countless other disgraceful acts of mispronunciation! :D Decent station mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

holly1 wrote: »
    Sorry about putting my comment on the Radio thread,I have only copped it now:confused:.

uhm...yeah....consider yourself warned :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Morning Ireland revisited the topic this morning, apparently there was a huge response from Joe Public. The reporter said that listeners also wanted grammatical inaccuracies addressed.
    Given his report included words to the effect, "People are irritated when placenames are pronounced wrong", I think parsing of sentences would be a good place to start. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

magnumlady wrote: »
    I hope it stops Gerry Ryan saying cerviacal

And the word is 'want' not 'wunt'

Excellent. I've asked others about this and apparently none seem to notice. It used to do my nut when I listened to him. Usually while he's stuffing his overfed face with a bacon sarnie. Wunt this, wunt that. Despicable person.

I hope he pronounces 'can't' correctly......

Advertisement