Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our economic recovery plan ain't credible: EU Commission...

Options
  • 18-02-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0218/1224241332515.html

According to the above article in the IT today, the EU Commission has now formed the view that whatever economic recovery plan that the government has put in place for this country, (the one that we have yet to see, if it even exists), simply is not credible.

Brussels will now formally initiate an excessive deficit procedure against Ireland for the first time, which is "a process of applying peer pressure to help the Government get its house in order on the deficit,” according to a commission official, who added that EU finance ministers had to approve the reports before the excessive deficit procedure formally opened.

So it looks like if we can't get our monetary house in order, the EU will now make us do it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Darragh29 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0218/1224241332515.html

According to the above article in the IT today, the EU Commission has now formed the view that whatever economic recovery plan that the government has put in place for this country, (the one that we have yet to see, if it even exists), simply is not credible.

Brussels will now formally initiate an excessive deficit procedure against Ireland for the first time, which is "a process of applying peer pressure to help the Government get its house in order on the deficit,” according to a commission official, who added that EU finance ministers had to approve the reports before the excessive deficit procedure formally opened.

So it looks like if we can't get our monetary house in order, the EU will now make us do it...

At least they have access to people who know about such complicated matters. The government should admit defeat, step back, and let the EU sort the mess out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

ejmaztec wrote: »
    At least they have access to people who know about such complicated matters. The government should admit defeat, step back, and let the EU sort the mess out.

That's almost better than elections, I never thought of it from this angle: If the government proves to be inefficient we are not solely dependent on waiting for the next elections. It can get fixed sooner and increases the exposure of our politician's uselessness. EU is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Zynks wrote: »
    That's almost better than elections, I never thought of it from this angle: If the government proves to be inefficient we are not solely dependent on waiting for the next elections. It can get fixed sooner and increases the exposure of our politician's uselessness. EU is great!

I agree with you. If I were to follow your point to its logical conclusion, we would have to concede that our government should just dissappear and we could be governed directly from Brussels.

It's sad that we are clearly that disillusioned with our government that we would be happy to replace them with a foreign crowd who could do the job better, but unfortuantely, that is what it has come to...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Maybe the bigwigs in europe will tell us to ask Declan ganley for a dig out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I agree with you. If I were to follow your point to its logical conclusion, we would have to concede that our government should just dissappear and we could be governed directly from Brussels.

It's sad that we are clearly that disillusioned with our government that we would be happy to replace them with a foreign crowd who could do the job better, but unfortuantely, that is what it has come to...

I wouldn't say disappear, but certainly get them a babysitter until they become a bit more mature and start understanding the impact of their actions and mistakes. Look at it as spiced up mentoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Zynks wrote: »
    I wouldn't say disappear, but certainly get them a babysitter until they become a bit more mature and start understanding the impact of their actions and mistakes. Look at it as spiced up mentoring.

Hammer. Nail. Head

Advertisement