Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aus WHV query

Options
  • 18-02-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I plan to hit Aus next december from south america. Was looking into get the 1year holiday working visa and have a couple of questions:

1. Ive heard that the aus government may make these a lot harder to get in the next few months due to the large increase in people going to aus etc. Can I technically apply for the visa now but predate it so that it only runs from Dec 2009-Dec 2010?

2. What happens if during the 1 year WHV I leave australia for say 2months(world cup in sth africa 2010), can i fly back to aus and my WHV is still fine?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

willis wrote: »
    1. Ive heard that the aus government may make these a lot harder to get in the next few months due to the large increase in people going to aus etc. Can I technically apply for the visa now but predate it so that it only runs from Dec 2009-Dec 2010?

Regarding the tightening of the visa this is rumor that has so far proved to be false.

Once you are granted a WHV it is valid for one year from the date you got it approved. That means you have one year to enter Australia. The visa then runs for one year from your date of entering Australia.

If you got apporved tomorrow. You would have until the 19th of Feb 2010 to enter Australia.

If you entered Australia on the 18th of Feb 2010 you would be allowed stay until the 18th of Feb 2011.
    2. What happens if during the 1 year WHV I leave australia for say 2months(world cup in sth africa 2010), can i fly back to aus and my WHV is still fine?

Once you return within the one year you are fine. However if you spend two months outside of Australia as far as I know you can not claim that time back.

i.e if you enter Australia on the 18th of Feb 2010, and leave for two months in the summer you would still have to leave Australia by the 18th of Feb 2011.

Hope this clears things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Excellent, thanks very much. Yeah I know the rumours have proved to be unfounded but might be the safest option just to get the visa now if what you are saying above about having 1 year to enter is correct, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Regarding the tightening of the visa this is rumor that has so far proved to be false.

Once you are granted a WHV it is valid for one year from the date you got it approved. That means you have one year to enter Australia. The visa then runs for one year from your date of entering Australia.

If you got apporved tomorrow. You would have until the 19th of Feb 2010 to enter Australia.

If you entered Australia on the 18th of Feb 2010 you would be allowed stay until the 18th of Feb 2011.

Once you return within the one year you are fine. However if you spend two months outside of Australia as far as I know you can not claim that time back.

i.e if you enter Australia on the 18th of Feb 2010, and leave for two months in the summer you would still have to leave Australia by the 18th of Feb 2011.

Yep, Willis, Alan pretty much could not make that any clearer for you! Was gonna post reply but Alan's way clearer!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've read up alot on this myself, world cup for 2nd visa etc,
    and alan's reply is spot on, pretty much nothing to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Hi guys,

My mate brought up an interesting point about the WHV at the weekend.
    We plan on hittin Aus in late november, then going to south africa for world cup,maybe thailand, then back to Aus.
    Now as we all know jobs are very very scarce in Aus,and you can only get 1 WHV. So his point was do we really want to waste the WHV? What about the following plan:

Aus in Dec 2009 for 3mths on tourist visa
    NZ for 3months tourist visa
    South africa world cup June 2010
    Then come back to Aus in say Aug 2010 with our WHV (i.e we hold off applying till late this year, not now)

Is everything above legal? What if for example we went aus for say 90days, NZ for 2weeks, can we go back into aus for 90days as long as we arent working?

Btw: the reason for the thinking is that we feel we can last till Aug 2010 without working, and that hopefuly by then the jobs market will have picked up, we are both qualified chartered accountants btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hi guys,

My mate brought up an interesting point about the WHV at the weekend.
    We plan on hittin Aus in late november, then going to south africa for world cup,maybe thailand, then back to Aus.
    Now as we all know jobs are very very scarce in Aus,and you can only get 1 WHV. So his point was do we really want to waste the WHV? What about the following plan:

Aus in Dec 2009 for 3mths on tourist visa
    NZ for 3months tourist visa
    South africa world cup June 2010
    Then come back to Aus in say Aug 2010 with our WHV (i.e we hold off applying till late this year, not now)

Is everything above legal? What if for example we went aus for say 90days, NZ for 2weeks, can we go back into aus for 90days as long as we arent working?

Btw: the reason for the thinking is that we feel we can last till Aug 2010 without working, and that hopefuly by then the jobs market will have picked up, we are both qualified chartered accountants btw

Ok I'm fairly sure that once you get the three month tourist visa that you can enter and leave Australia as much as you want during those three months. However I am not sure what they are like giving two tourist visas so close together i.e if you done 3 months in Oz, then went to NZ for two weeks and then tried to go back to Oz for three months it might look suspicious to them. Hopefully someone can come along and clear this up.

I will say this though. You can not hold two visas at the same time. This means in your above plan you could not apply for your WHV visa until you got to NZ or South Africa. If you get granted a WHV visa it will activate as soon as you step on Australian soil. You can not go to immigration and say I don't want to use that yet, I want to use a tourist visa.

I know its fairly simple applying for a WHV visa in New Zealand, I'm not sure if South Africa brings any complications into it, but I doubt it.

Basically do not apply for a WHV until you are finished using tourist visas.

Also you must be outside Australia to apply for a WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Just want to add to that, if you do apply for a WHV for Australia from certain countries it can be more difficult. For example, if I had applied for mine while in Ireland, gone travelling through Asia, Africa, wherever, it would still not have been a problem entering the country. However, a friend of mine applied for his WHV while in Cambodia, and they demanded a load of medical tests and chest x-rays because he had been in an area where he might have picked up TB and other infectious diseases. I have no idea how they feel about South Africa, but it would be worth looking into it before you go ahead, because from watching the stress my mate went through, it's a pain in the behind to get those things sorted out while you're away. As I say, it doesn't matter if you have it BEFORE you go to these countries, it's applying from them that seems to be an issue. Just to give you an idea of the crapola they put you through, my mate threw in the towel after a month of trying to get it sorted, and opted for a whv for NZ instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

As far as I know immigration here are fairly relaxed about granting tourist visas and extending them as long as you can show that you have the funds to support yourself and that you do not plan to work during your stay here. Once you haven't overstayed on your holiday visa and you have done everything legit, then I don't think it will be a problem to get your WHV even after 6 months on holiday there in the previous year. You may have to leave the country to apply for it though.

Advertisement