Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro - recommed router

• 18-02-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm getting digiweb metro into the house and was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good wireless router to use. Any digiweb users out there found a good one to use?. I wouldnt know where to start

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NOT:
    Any with built in DSL modem. They don't work

YES:
    Ones described as WAN or ethernet router or Cable router with no mention of ADSL/DSL. Ones described as Cable/ADSL routers (dabs.ie)

Where:
    Dabs.ie, komplett.ie Maplin, Argos

Wifi type: 802.11b/g or Turbo G recommended Options are adding 802.11a (5.8GHz) and 802.11n. Just about everything works with 802.11b/g (b=11Mbps, g = 54Mbps, Turbo = 108Mbps except some are 125Mbps). Turbo mode must match the laptop/ gadget/dongle or you get 11Mbps or 54Mbps. n mode of 250Mbps is very short range and only good fo talking to your own gear, no advantage for Internet.

Avoid Belkin.

Maplin and Argos local shops may not be cheapest but WILL take it back if you got the wrong kind or the WiFi isn't compatible.

Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo, Dlink, ZyXel, 3Com are all major brands.

It should usually have FIVE ethernet ports, with one highlighted, labelled or separate in some fashion to indicate it is the dedicated WAN (Internet) port to connect to the Modem. Do power down the modem so it releases MAC/IP for the PC/Laptop and re-assigns to the Router.

Write down a new admin password for router access and change to it so malicious websites can't reprogram the DNS on your router.

Do use WPA PSK (AES or WPA2 prefererred to TKIP) and write down a key like
    hTR82Gda91hagreonfb23 etc, but not that one and put it in as WPA key in Router and PC/Gadget/Laptop etc.

Have a little notebook that you DO NOT keep with Laptop where you write down all PC details like IPs, user names, passwords, email addresses etc that are needed for security BEFORE you type them in.

I.e.
    Home Router
    Admin login 192.168.0.1
    user = admin pass = Ugk82Hqaw
    SSID = babcom6
    WPA key = hTR82Gda91hagreonfb23KL4z

My Laptop called "fred"= DHCP
    Administration user = pass =
    Users:

email1
    user@domain pop3.someisp.ie smtp.digiweb.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

watty wrote: »
    NOT:

YES:
    Ones described as WAN or ethernet router or Cable router with no mention of ADSL/DSL. Ones described as Cable/ADSL routers (dabs.ie)

Where:

Wifi type: 802.11b/g or Turbo G recommended Options are adding 802.11a (5.8GHz) and 802.11n. Just about everything works with 802.11b/g (b=11Mbps, g = 54Mbps, Turbo = 108Mbps except some are 125Mbps). Turbo mode must match the laptop/ gadget/dongle or you get 11Mbps or 54Mbps. n mode of 250Mbps is very short range and only good fo talking to your own gear, no advantage for Internet.

Avoid Belkin.

Maplin and Argos local shops may not be cheapest but WILL take it back if you got the wrong kind or the WiFi isn't compatible.

It should usually have FIVE ethernet ports, with one highlighted, labelled or separate in some fashion to indicate it is the dedicated WAN (Internet) port to connect to the Modem. Do power down the modem so it releases MAC/IP for the PC/Laptop and re-assigns to the Router.

Write down a new admin password for router access and change to it so malicious websites can't reprogram the DNS on your router.

hTR82Gda91hagreonfb23 etc, but not that one and put it in as WPA key in Router and PC/Gadget/Laptop etc.

Have a little notebook that you DO NOT keep with Laptop where you write down all PC details like IPs, user names, passwords, email addresses etc that are needed for security BEFORE you type them in.

I.e.
    Home Router
    Admin login 192.168.0.1
    SSID = babcom6

Users:

email1

watty... you're a star... exactly what i needed to know... thanks a mil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

To OP I have the metro 8Mb package and i,ve used this router http://www.testfreaks.com/wireless-network/linksys-wrt54gs/ which i find brilliant. I have 2 xbox's and ps3 running through WiFi. I also use TVersity to stream all the media on my hard drive downstairs to the Xbox or ps3. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks alot, will take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

NOT:

YES:

Where:

Avoid Belkin.

I.e.
    Home Router
    Admin login 192.168.0.1
    SSID = babcom6

Users:

email1

Does this apply also to UPC?

• Advertisement

yes.

Roughly also to Ripwave, Breeze, Homewave etc too.

The ONLY difference between ALL ethernet connect modems for Whatever system is that the WAN ethernet settings are
    1. Normally DHCP (automatic) for metro, Cable. Always unpower and repower modem if link is DHCP. In some rare cable cases you need to clone PC MAC address feature for DHCP to work.
    2. Some Modems you need Static (whatever IP the ISP gave you for PC, then change PC to subnet of Router or make it DHCP.
    3. Homewave uses PPP, not DHCP, it's Automatic IP like DHCP.
    ALL ethernet WAN routers have these three options on WAN /Internet Port.

Router DNS should be either Automatic for DHCP or PPP, or the DNS of your ISP or possibly OpenDNS if your ISP DNS is wonky. Set router to DNS relay/Proxy or similar and then on PCs/Laptops/Gadgets:

IP = static in same range as Router or DHCP.
    DNS & Gateway both are IP of Router
    Subnet is 255.255.255.0 usually.

192.168.0.1 is common for Routers. But read the install. You can change it, but best to leave it at default then it's documented :)

If using Static IPs I personally use 3 to 9 for servers or NAS, 10 to 19 for Printer Servers/ethernet printers (best always static) and 20 to 99 for static. 110 to 199 for DHCP pool, 100 to 109 for VPN, 200 to 254 for anything else.

Servers, printers, scanners, NAS etc, anything you connect to should be static. The router usually allows you to set a subrange for DHCP and even to let you lock a MAC to an DHCP IP (a method to make a DHCP printer or NAS always have same IP).

If you use skype or games you need port forwarding to a specific computer. That computer should then use MAC locked to IP in router DHCP settings or a static IP otherwise the port forwarding won't work next time you boot.
    The skype port is unique and in the Tools | Options | Advanced |Connection on your computer. Setting up skype forwarding to that port on that IP can double or treble Skype quality. Do not forward 80 or 443 to a PC running Skype unless you really want it to be a supernode and relay!

Skype should always be behind a router's firewall, it will automatically turn on ports on PC firewall. A PC SW firewall is fairly poor.

Also turn off uPnP on the router as it lets applications automatically create ports. Do all your port forwarding manually. uPNP is evil security wise as its evil twin on windows the SSDP discovery service. I always disable SSDP and Universal Plug and Play Device Host services on Windows as those allow random gadgets/hackers/sites on Internet/LAN/driveby WiFi to install SW automagically on your PC. There is always an installer you can get for <insert name of random network gadget here> and also give it a static IP or router fixed IP via DHCP /MAC system so you can find it/connect to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Just over a year after this thread was started I found myself struggling setting up a wireless network with Digiweb Metro and a D-link 108G Wireless Router.

After hours of trying to set the wireless router , no-joy. I reverted to my wired network and googled " Digiweb Metro wireless router " and I find watty's response to jobless question , after reading through it I release I never powered of the digiweb router to release the MAC/IP to the wireless router.

Thanks watty I wasted a couple of hours of my life but you saved me from wasting god knows how many more !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

NOT:

YES:

sorry for the thread resurrection, Im getting digiweb metro installed tomo, i had eircom dsl for years and used this router d-link 2740b to share my media around the house and to for most importantly ps3 online gaming, never a problem, will it work for my new setup tomo, or because it has built in modem, is that a problem ?

thanks in advance

No use.

Any router with built in DSL modem won't work.

You need a router without modem. It has a FIFTH ethernet port usually marked WAN, and often slightly spaced or different colour.
    Maplin, Argos, Tesco, PC World, Dabs. Sometimes they call them "cable routers" though there is no Cable modem in them.

This section in Komplett http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

i use wrt54gs as well with digiweb metro works well but could not get it to go through 2 foot thick stone walls of old cottage part of house,but cable router N standard is normal now which is better then g standard well so they tell us..

• Advertisement

N only works faster in same room. Through walls it will step down to 54, 22, 11, 5, 2, 1MBps just like 802.11g

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

watty can i pm you as dont want to hijack this thread re digiweb metro signal distance

Pm answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement