Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electricity 10% cheaper with Bord Gais [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

padocon wrote: »
    I have changed!! Save a grand a year!!!!
    Big 'farm' in your attic, yeah? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

bobbbb wrote: »
    Be careful of the Airtricity deal. They say nothing about beating ESB prices in Years 2 and 3 as Bord Gais do.

you can switch about without penalty though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

overmantle wrote: »
    Sounds like a no brainer NOT to change.
    Huh?!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

i heard on the news the other day in light of so many people leaving ESB, they are going to lower their prices by 10%.

Could me months before it actually happens but its good to see them finally talk about the prices coming down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

*Dallas wrote: »
    i heard on the news the other day in light of so many people leaving ESB, they are going to lower their prices by 10%.

Could me months before it actually happens but its good to see them finally talk about the prices coming down!
    If they do then BGE will still be at least 10% lower again according to their price promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

i rang BG to cancel today because of the 200 deposit, a team leader rang me back and said it was an error with their system and that i did not have to pay the 200,, happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

padocon wrote: »
    I have changed!! Save a grand a year!!!!

How big are your electricity bills??:eek: At 10% you are implying €10,000 a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

what do they mean to use the money towards your electricity bill. I thought by switching to gas i would no longer have a bill from ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Airticity have now increased their discount to 13% if you pay by DD use ebill and their level payment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

dewdrop wrote: »
    what do they mean to use the money towards your electricity bill. I thought by switching to gas i would no longer have a bill from ESB

Your bill is from Bord Gais but you still use/pay for electricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Got this email a minute ago...

'Thank you for choosing Bord Gáis Energy to supply your electricity. We aim to provide you with excellent customer service and value for money for all your energy needs.

We are currently processing your application to switch from your existing electricity supplier to Bord Gáis Energy. The switching process is easy and there is no change to the meter or wires. The meter will continue to be read in the same way as before and you will receive your electricity bill every two months from Bord Gáis Energy once your account has been fully switched over.

We would ask you to note that due to the very high volumes of customers wishing to switch their supplier to us, processing your application may take a little longer than usual. However, we aim to have you registered as our customer as soon as possible. This process can take 18 to 60 working days depending on the ESB meter read cycle, which we do not have control over. At this stage you do not need to take any action. Once you are registered with us your supply is switched over to Bord Gáis Energy and you will receive a final bill from the ESB up to your final meter read. You will also receive a letter of notification from us and a welcome pack. We will be in contact with you should there be any problems in the switching process.

Once again we thank you for choosing Bord Gáis Energy as your electricity supplier and remember we guarantee to be 10% to 14% cheaper than ESB rates for your first year and a minimum of 5% cheaper in the second and third year, even when the ESB reduce their rates!'

Now, I assume that it's a standard email, but as I joined and provided a meter reading when filling out the form, I shouldn't have to wait to long should I? Hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Me got that e-mail too.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Got it too, seems all at once to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

delly wrote: »
    Got it too, seems all at once to everybody.

I got no email, never got an initial email and can't get anyone to check over the phone whether my online application went through or not...guess I'll have to reapply two weeks later just to be sure...they're lucky they're cheaper cause the management / customer service ain't winning the battle for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

I heard the standng charge is more with bord gais than esb...is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Randi wrote: »
    I heard the standng charge is more with bord gais than esb...is this true?

no, standing charges are charged at the same rate as ESB standing charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Do you have to take a meter reading before you switch over? We don't have a key to open our outside meter box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

No you don't need to take a meter reading, although if you do the switch will probably be faster, and you'll be saving money sooner. If you're already a gas customer, Bord Gais will send you a meter key if you phone them:

Oracle wrote: »
    No you don't need to take a meter reading, although if you do the switch will probably be faster, and you'll be saving money sooner. If you're already a gas customer, Bord Gais will send you a meter key if you phone them:

Thanks for that. No, unfortunately I'm an ESB customer, but not for much longer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ruthkell

Hi, Gonna switch to Bord Gais to-day. I have a day meter and a night meter. Do I just do a standard switch and Bord Gais will know i have 2 meters? Also, I am a homeowner, not going to pay DD, so will I need to pay deposit? Also, can I give read from my last ESB bill? What is the due payment date on non DD bills, is it about 2 weeks like ESB? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Non homeowner=Deposit required
    Non direct debit=Deposit required
    Also, can I give read from my last ESB bill?
    Naughty, naughty, very naughty. :D Add 100 to the last bill reading.
    What is the due payment date on non DD bills, is it about 2 weeks like ESB?
    Yes. It is the same.

I got my confirmation letter from ESB that my account with them has now been closed.

I worked out that I still owe them about €25 from the last reading and the one taken when I submitted my Bord Gais application. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

The reading you gave BG means nothing in the big scheme of things afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

kleefarr wrote: »
    I got my confirmation letter from ESB that my account with them has now been closed.

When did you sign up to BG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Just changed on line.

Thanks OP's

I would save 10 euro per month looking at my last few bills.

muffinhead wrote: »
    When did you sign up to BG?

The first day it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

if you're an existing gas customer and paying by DD do not give in to their "you need to pay a deposit" tactics. We questioned the need and eventually were told that the sales folk had made a mistake and there was no need for us to pay a deposit at all.

so ask for a supervisor if they ask for a deposit and you meet the criteria above. Obviously if you've had trouble paying in the past, they reserve the right to ask for a deposit. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,
    I live on my own and roughly pay between 60-80 euro every 2 months for electricity with the ESB. I pay by direct debit to Bord Gais for the gas requirements. Do you think it would be worthwhile swapping over due to my low bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

8X6= €48, for 2 minutes work.
    why not?

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »

I worked out that I still owe them about €25 from the last reading and the one taken when I submitted my Bord Gais application. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

Got my final ESB yesterday. I was a bit out with my estimation of €25. It was actually....

Only €11 :D

I over estimated with the standing charge. The unit difference for my reading submitted to BG was 40. On the bill 42. Fine. So I should be billed from my last reading for BG. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

zuroph wrote: »
    8X6= €48, for 2 minutes work.
    why not?

You will not get that much off your bill. The majority of a bill of 80 euro is going to made up of service charges which will remain at the same level. The 10 % is off the unit cost.

Stabbing a guess its more like 5x6 for 2 min work. still a saving though :cool:

Just in case anyone else is getting the same.... since after signing up online to Bord Gais I've been getting cold calls to my mobile which plays a recorded message identifying itself as 'Conduit' and explaining that an agent wasn't available to talk to me but will ring back in 3 days. After much frustration and wrangling with Conduit Media (the closest thing i could find to telelmarketing under that name) it turns out to be Bord Gais behind it all. I have rang to report this to them but just in case others are experiencing the same odd calls!!

Got confirmation from BG that my account has been set up and I have been a BG electricty customer since Feb 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

There could be complications if you're renting a place. According to the terms and conditions, you're responsible for giving them the name of whoever moves in after you, otherwise you're liable for the electricity used until you can:
    • (i) You may end this agreement by giving us 28 days notice...
    • (ii) You will remain liable for any electricity used in the Premises until this notice is given and has expired AND you have either a) informed us of the Meter reading and you have provided us with the name of the incoming customer OR b) you have given access to ESB Networks to read the Meter and you have provided us with the name of the incoming customer. If you cannot provide us with the name of the incoming customer, you must give ESB Networks access to the Premises to lock the Meter and discontinue the supply of electricity to the Premises. In this case, you will remain liable for any electricity used until the Meter is de-energised.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Just in case anyone else is getting the same.... since after signing up online to Bord Gais I've been getting cold calls to my mobile which plays a recorded message identifying itself as 'Conduit' and explaining that an agent wasn't available to talk to me but will ring back in 3 days. After much frustration and wrangling with Conduit Media (the closest thing i could find to telelmarketing under that name) it turns out to be Bord Gais behind it all. I have rang to report this to them but just in case others are experiencing the same odd calls!!

Conduit run 11850 and run BG accounts(or customer care I'm not too sure).
    They're based in Eastpoint.
    http://www.conduit.ie/

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »
    Conduit run 11850 and run BG accounts(or customer care I'm not too sure).
    They're based in Eastpoint.
    http://www.conduit.ie/

Isn't that kind of the conclusion to my post?? I already said I've tied Conduit to BG and contacted them about it, was just letting others know in case...if anyones getting these calls, theres no need to contact conduit, its BG need to be alerted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I notice on my last ESB bill something about "A Public Service Obligation (PSO) Related Rebate" this rebate is almost €2 credit per month. I wonder if I will be getting this as an electricity customer with Bord Gais Energy? I notice now that their ads say "at least 10% off ESB rates" not your ESB bill.
    A Public Service Obligation (PSO ) Related Rebate

This refers to the sale proceeds of certain ESB generating plant which are being used to reduce prices. This credit will be identified separately on your bill as a "PSO Related Rebate" of €1.91CR per month and will be applied to all bills with meter readings from the 31st of January 2009.

P.S. Just did a bit of searching and it looks like we will be getting the PSO rebate after all:
    PSO Related Rebate (Click the tab "Understanding Your Bill" it's at the end of the bill)

* A PSO related rebate will be credited to your bill each month end from January to September 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Oracle wrote: »
    I notice on my last ESB bill something about "A Public Service Obligation (PSO) Related Rebate" this rebate is almost €2 credit per month. I wonder if I will be getting this as an electricity customer with Bord Gais Energy? I notice now that their ads say "at least 10% off ESB rates" not your ESB bill.

I could say 100% you will. The PSO was a charge for a long time, its only lately its a rebate. It is do with the generation equipment from ESB power generation. They supply electricity to all customers so the PSO is charged to all customers as well as rebated.

And they cant state 10% off the bills, the standing charges, Pso and levy are all common for the industry. They can only discount the rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Have many people managed to change over yet i got that email that everyone got ages ago but have heard nothing since????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

same here there's definately a backlog but no word yet on how long anyone has to wait.

• Advertisement

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    same here there's definately a backlog but no word yet on how long anyone has to wait.

Ditto! - But they did say it could take up to 60 days depending on last ESB meter reading date etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I'll have to check exact dates but it must be close to 60 since I applied now. applied at beginning of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Sorry if this has been covered before; I've done a search and cannot find it.

Currently, ESB offer the following unit charges:

Single Tariff:

€0.1455 per unit

Dual Tariff (Day/Night):

€0.155 per day unit
    €0.0769 per night unit

What is Bord Gais' unit price, and do they also offer a dual tariff? (We're currently on single tariff with ESB, but going to change to dual as I reckon with the dishwasher and washing machine, we can use most electricity during night hours and save money).

Cheers,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Go here http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential_electricity/3_existing_customer/index.htm and click on the "Tarrifs Explained" tab for the VAT Inclusive costs (your costs were vat excluded).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

rgfuller wrote: »
    Go here http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential_electricity/3_existing_customer/index.htm and click on the "Tarrifs Explained" tab for the VAT Inclusive costs (your costs were vat excluded).

That's strange; the prices I've been quoted by ESB are _lower_ than those on that page. Are they telling porkies, or not including VAT or something?

P.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

oceanclub wrote: »
    That's strange; the prices I've been quoted by ESB are _lower_ than those on that page. Are they telling porkies, or not including VAT or something?

As rgfuller pointed out the ESB prices EXCULDE VAT while the BG prices include VAT.

BTW this is very dodgy, I thought it was a requirement under Irish law to always advertise prices including VAT when selling to residential customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Now that the year is almost up with Bord Gais, with savings going down to 5% on ESB prices, would moving to Airtricity be a wise move in order to get another 13% savings for one year? I see they revert to 5% discount in year two also.

www.airtricity.com

Then go back to Bord Gais the following year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

muffinhead wrote: »
    Now that the year is almost up with Bord Gais, with savings going down to 5% on ESB prices, would moving to Airtricity be a wise move in order to get another 13% savings for one year? I see they revert to 5% discount in year two also.

www.airtricity.com

Airtricity's rates are only gaurenteed until the end of 2010. However they are also going to offer a gas service in the next few weeks (according to Airtricity doot-door salesman this week).

I'll probably switch over to them......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Hey all,

Now that some of you have been with board gais for over a year, would you recommend changing over? Got a monstrosity of an esb bill last week and really can't afford paying those prices so very interested in changing over to get a reduced rate. Can anyone tell me if their bills are easy enough to understand and whether you can decipher what you're paying for gas and what you're paying for electricity?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement