Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Electric Demand Heater for taps/shower

Options
  • 18-02-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.
    I've seen these electric shower heaters that heat just the water you need when you need it, and from googling I've seen central versions that can service all of the hot taps incl. showers.

The gas ch boiler is due for replacement, but instead of going for a combi I'm thinking of keeping the ch boiler simple and using electric demand for the taps, and possibly even getting rid of the immersion tank in the process. I'm wondering what is available locally and what experiences people have had with such a setup.

I've 4 sinks, a shower and bath (all gravity pressure only), and even if the washing machine robs hot water, in general no more than two hot feeds would be used at a time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

I would go for the combi gas boiler.... Just ensure that it is correctly sized for the hot water demand you require. This will probably make it oversized for your heating but if correctly fitted with proper electrical interlock controls it will be perfect. A combi will also get rid of the need for cold water and hot water storage!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Thanks for the advice miniGolf, will look into the combi option.

Turns out after more reading that what I thought was a great solution isn't necessarily so. It takes time before the on-demand electric responds to demand, so unless you run the hot tap constantly, switching it on and off leads to a sandwich of cold between the hot. No wonder I couldn't find one for sale in this country.

Advertisement