Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protein

Options
  • 18-02-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

hi, I'm a veggie on a diet, I'm trying to increase my protein. I love dairy and have enough of it so looking for low fat high protein snack ideas,
    All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Would you consider protein shakes? I personally find them great & very convenient.

Also tofu, eggs (assuming you eat eggs..), or nuts/seeds?

Is there a particular reason you're looking for low-fat sources of protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭zoology lady

I hadn't considered them to be honest, I'm trying to lose weight, therefore low fat, cheers.
    I know the food groups I should be eating its more ideas for snacks to eat during the day, etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

To be honest, you should be more conscious of your carb intake than your fat intake if trying to lose weight. And trying to limit carbs to post-workout - that's when your body can best deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭zoology lady

Thanks, I've cut right back on carbs, just really trying to up my protein, Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hadn't considered them to be honest, I'm trying to lose weight, therefore low fat, cheers.
    Whey protein is just another dairy product. Also high protein meals will satisfy your hunger a lot more, making it easier to resist snacking.

I have a relatively high fat high protein diet, with the aim of keeping of fat, and it works. It is a misnomer to conclude that fat makes you fat. Too many calories from any source make you fat. Fat is essential in your diet and can aid fat loss.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Whey protein is just another dairy product.
    Soy protein shake? I have heard of hemp protein shake as well..

My veggie diet was always quite low fat naturally. I've found benefits in my cognitive function by uping my fat intake with a EFA supplement.
    I had/have that stereotypical veggie ditziness thing happening.
    Also if you take fat with a meal, it keeps you fuller long. As the enzymes involved means that it takes your stomach longer to empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

taconnol wrote: »
    Soy protein shake? I have heard of hemp protein shake as well..

egg & pea protein here http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/section.php/18/1/protein/6a0dbee9068579192aa7a9f0225c4b7f

says the pea is "It is primarily aimed at vegans’ who are looking to increase their protein consumption, but are limited when it comes to high-quality protein sources. Super-Pea is also popular amongst non-vegans, due to its excellent product profile. "

I have ordered from them, many in the fitness forum have. I think their postage remains the same up to 25kg, so you might want to go splits with somebody to share the post cost.

And maybe get the flavouring since I think the pea stuff is meant to taste manky! http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/section.php/20/1/flavouring_systems

I expect it could be stirred into other foods, like soups etc.

Advertisement