Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 sim different phone

• 18-02-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Im on the 3 network and i am looking to change my phone but dont want to buy from 3 themselves but i do want to stay on there network is it possible to do this.
    Does the phone have to be unlocked does it have to be 3g and would i lose applications like MSN and Skype.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

The phone would need to be unlocked, support 3G & have 3 firmware to avail of the 3 services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Right so i would lose the 3 services without the 3 firmware so its not worth it i should stick with 3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

The phone will have to be unlocked (or locked to 3IRL if something strange like that happens!) and support 3G. I wouldn't think you'd have to have the firmware, as that seems like more of a ploy to reduce their roaming costs to Vodafone than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The phone would need to be unlocked, support 3G & have 3 firmware to avail of the 3 services.

Doesnt need 3 firmware. Any unlocked 3g phone will be fine, but for skype 3 only have a small range of handsets supported. See HERE

You can download msn etc from planet 3 then. Skype may not download from planet 3 depending what phone you buy, so you can try http://mobile.three.co.uk/sdf/skypeupdate (from your mobile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Thanks for the help everyone cheers.:)

Another quick question would a 3 sim work on the HTC phones and if so which ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If your phone does not have the 3 firmware on it you will get a certificate error when trying to download either skype or msn. You will be able to browse planet 3, download songs, go onto the internet but msn and skype will not download via planet 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Walkman wrote: »
    If your phone does not have the 3 firmware on it you will get a certificate error when trying to download either skype or msn

i just downloaded and tested skype and msn on a non branded N95 that was bought from expansys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i just downloaded and tested skype and msn on a non branded N95 that was bought from expansys....

That has been my experience for a long time using non 3 phones. hence my earlier post. I guess 3 mean it to work as walkman said.. but thats seems a bit to tricky for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    If you did sam I stand corrected. I tried to do it for a mate on an unbranded tocco and neither would download.

Advertisement