Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin rip off on pricing of special offers

Options
  • 18-02-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Is there no end to the rip off between UK and Ireland chain shops! :mad:

Today, I got both the UK special offers by e-mail and the ROI special offers by post.

I'm shocked at variation in pricing between the UK Sterling prices and those for the ROI in Euros.

e.g. 4 Camera system N10GN £299.99 €446.49

640gb hard drive A42JH £64.99 €106.99

LCD TV wall bracket A99GN £12.99 €44.49 :confused:

1 GB mem A97CF £29.98 €47.99

Floor mat tiles N83CX £11.99 €20.49

Not to mention free delivery in the UK!

Are they for real?

E-mail sent to Maplins for an explaination, expect the standard reply, we buy exchange rates one a year, transport blah, blah etc ect???

Citroman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

citroman wrote: »
    E-mail sent to Maplins for an explaination, expect the standard reply,
    I honestly hope they do not waste resources doing so, which results in higher prices all round. I buy from them if they are the cheapest, end of story. But if they have to squander money on employees doing crap like this my stuff might not be such a good deal, might still be the cheapest, but could have been cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 citroman

rubadub wrote: »
    I honestly hope they do not waste resources doing so, which results in higher prices all round. I buy from them if they are the cheapest, end of story. But if they have to squander money on employees doing crap like this my stuff might not be such a good deal, might still be the cheapest, but could have been cheaper.

I sorry I'm a bit slow, but what exactly are you saying??? :confused:

Citroman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

(s)he's giving her/his standard response:

i dont moan, i don't complain, i dont let them know what i think even if their prices are not justified and to high, i keep my head down, i stay silent and just shop elsewhere.

and now ask again why ireland gets shafted by retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i dont moan, i don't complain
    Correct, I don't get upset or stressed, I fully understand the price differences. I shop where it is best value for me, which is not necessarily the place with the apparently cheapest price. If they see a loss in sales they will understand, they are not that stupid.
    i dont let them know what i think even if their prices are not justified and to high
    Correct, I do not waste my time nor theirs. I know they are under absolutely no obligation to justify anything.
    i stay silent and just shop elsewhere.
    In this case I do shop in Maplins, they are quite a competitive shop here, including buying online, especially for smaller items where postage would bring them over the odds.
    citroman wrote: »
    I sorry I'm a bit slow, but what exactly are you saying???
    I am saying I would not like to see myself paying more than I have to for goods. I shop in Maplins, I still might get stuff there cheaper than any other shops, but I might end up paying a premium since they might start paying staff to answer questions they do not have to. Just like it pisses me off hearing that other shops have employed staff specifically to remove or blank out dual prices on products.
    and now ask again why ireland gets shafted by retailers.
    There is no raping going on, it is all CONSENSUAL...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

They're advertising the following "special offer" for €135 in Ireland. It's £79 in the UK.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221785&doy=4m5&C=SO&U=strat15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

markyboy wrote: »
    They're advertising the following "special offer" for €135 in Ireland. It's £79 in the UK.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221785&doy=4m5&C=SO&U=strat15

Perhaps when they stop paying extortionate rents, rates, electricity, distribution costs etc etc, they may be in a position to drop their prices.

I can see businesses like Maplin closing down in Ireland, because it won't be worth their while. It would be less trouble getting rid of the handful of Irish shops than trying to get through the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

People who've never ran a business in there lives can never truly understand WHY prices are different in the UK, Im talking about expenses and wages btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

rubadub wrote: »
    If they see a loss in sales they will understand, they are not that stupid.

quote]

You are being ironic here, no ? I think you might be giving some of the retail community more credit than they deserve.

The first thing an Irish retailer does when they see sales drop off is to increase prices - seems to be the standard response to not selling enough.

Retail markup in this country is generally savage, a number of the UK chain stores report their highest profit making per sq ft stores here !

Keep shopping around I suppose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've been looking to get a small TV for the car and would ideally love to get one for Sat & Wed night as I'll be in the car.

Was looking at this one on their UK website:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=280957 £79.99

when I rang Galway they quoted me €104 for the same model.

Not a fair exchange rate imo, so I think I'll listen to it on RTE radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I've been looking to get a small TV for the car and would ideally love to get one for Sat & Wed night as I'll be in the car.

Why don't you just buy the stuff online at Maplin ? The delivery charges here aren't too bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

So you think all pricing should be the same as UK when you exchange the currencies? :rolleyes:

reverandkenjami

That's why this country is uncompetitive and losing business through online purchases and people travelling north. And to answer your question YES I do. £79.99 is roughly €90. €14 of a difference considering its the same store does not appeal to me.

reverandkenjami

That's why this country is uncompetitive and losing business through online purchases and people travelling north. And to answer your question YES I do. £79.99 is roughly €90. €14 of a difference considering its the same store does not appeal to me.

How on earth do you expect any business to charge the same prices in two completely different jurisdictions?:rolleyes:

Two different jurisdictions they may be but come on, common sense will mean I can travel north across the border and avail of the lower price on this item while I'm doing so on my Xmas shopping as well.

We'll disagree all day long on this topic so good luck to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The biggest price differential I have seen in Maplin was for a solder fume fan, £14.99 in the UK, €85 here! The euro price was in two separate stores so even claiming it as a misprint would be implausible. I laughed and walked out.

Two different jurisdictions they may be but come on, common sense will mean I can travel north across the border and avail of the lower price on this item while I'm doing so on my Xmas shopping as well.

People close to international borders all over the planet nip next door to buy cheaper goods, that's standard practice.

You're expecting the same prices everywhere, and that's not going to happen.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    People close to international borders all over the planet nip next door to buy cheaper goods, that's standard practice.

You're expecting the same prices everywhere, and that's not going to happen.

Advertisement