Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer's Market - Castletown, Celbridge

Options
  • 18-02-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I was in at the farmers market in Temple Bar last weekend, and was told by one of the stall owners that OPW that runs the farmers market in Farmleigh, is going to start one in Castletown grounds!

It starts on Sunday 15th March and continues then every Saturday after that.

This is great news for me, as I hardely ever seem to manage to get to naas on a saturday for their market, and maynooth market is on Fridays when I'm at work.

Just thought i'd share the good news!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

What is it that they sell? Fruit? Veg? Tat?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

They must sell farmers !!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Puddleduck wrote: »
    What is it that they sell? Fruit? Veg? Tat?

I've not been to the one in Farmleigh that I expect this one to be similar to, but the typical farmers market usually has at least bread, fish, cheese, meat, veg.
    naas for example has two veg stalls including organic, bread (soul bakery - yum), cheese (sheridans), meat, sausages (jane russell's, yum), an olive/pesto/cheese stall, a couple of places that do baked goods like brownies and apple tarts, a place that sells food like pies and rostis, chocolate stall, coffee that is to die for, and a woman that makes ready-made meals from the market.
    I'm excited to see what this one in Castletown will bring....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

There were some 'artisan' food stalls indoors in Castletown House but even by the standards of these places it was sparsely attended by both punters and vendors and overpriced.Maybe its just that even food in Aldi seems dear sometimes nevermind these sort of places and prices.And while some of the vendors are friendly and freely offer no commitment samples there are some seriously pushy folk also .
    Maybe its a sign of the times but these sort of events seem to be for a very special, rare treat.The idea that you might do even a quarter of your shopping there let alone all of it is ludicrous.Let's face it if you left with a bun for 2 or 3 euro or a loaf of bread or block of cheese for a fiver that would be about the height of it ...
    Im not meaning to offend any people involved in this noble trade ,I have the utmost respect for them and would have been a regualr customer in the past ...its just that ...as I said even shopping in Tesco the prices can leave you breathless sometimes !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

ytareh wrote: »
    There were some 'artisan' food stalls indoors in Castletown House but even by the standards of these places it was sparsely attended by both punters and vendors and overpriced.Maybe its just that even food in Aldi seems dear sometimes nevermind these sort of places and prices.And while some of the vendors are friendly and freely offer no commitment samples there are some seriously pushy folk also .
    Maybe its a sign of the times but these sort of events seem to be for a very special, rare treat.The idea that you might do even a quarter of your shopping there let alone all of it is ludicrous.Let's face it if you left with a bun for 2 or 3 euro or a loaf of bread or block of cheese for a fiver that would be about the height of it ...
    Im not meaning to offend any people involved in this noble trade ,I have the utmost respect for them and would have been a regualr customer in the past ...its just that ...as I said even shopping in Tesco the prices can leave you breathless sometimes !!!

There's another side to that coin though. I find myself increasingly not buying meat...anything in the supermarket or butcher that is of good quality/local/organic/rared to any vague resemblance of decent welfare is way outside my budget. The last time i was at the farmers market however, I picked up all manner of cheap cuts that I just couldnt get in the supermarket or my local butcher. Its swings and roundabouts really...

• Advertisement

Yeah good point Catho...I bet if you did an indepth survey of Irish shopping baskets now compared with 25 years ago the amount of meat bought would have perhaps halved.Like seriously chicken breasts and beef mince are becoming ultra luxury items even at the very bottom of the quality ladder.I have a secure ,fairly well paying job I shudder to think how the less well off survive ...
    I seem to recall in the 70s as a kid having chops 2 or 3 times a week and even steak being a weekly treat...wasnt the whole Groceries Act,spread of mega food chains , industrialisation of agriculture on a massive scale etc etc meant to result in CHEAPER food?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

I look forward to seeing what it's like. I used to go to the one in Marlay Park and have been to the odd one on a Friday (lunchtime) in Tallaght and my impression is that they are totally overpriced.

While the food is generally of high quality, I've been to a few in France where the prices are fractions of what is charged at the ones I've been to in Ireland.

The problem could be perception. Your idea of what a farmers market should be. For instance, my own perception is that they are trying to replicate the family atmosphere that the European markets offer, however the while European markets to my mind are family friendly as such, the role they play in the community is to offer fresh food at reasonable prices. This is not happening in the Irish ones I've been to and over a period of time, I can't see them lasting unless they change their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

I'm just across the river from Castletown house so i'll have a walk over and see if its good.

How come when we turn on the radio we here that farmers are skint when they supply to supermarkets so the high prices of produce is nothing to do with them yet when we go to these type of markets we're the ones usually skint alive. Why don't they sell their ordinary produce as well as all this grown only in pure cow sh1te stuff etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Scober11 wrote: »
    I'm just across the river from Castletown house so i'll have a walk over and see if its good.

Where will you cross the river?
    just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Scober11 wrote: »

How come when we turn on the radio we here that farmers are skint when they supply to supermarkets so the high prices of produce is nothing to do with them yet when we go to these type of markets we're the ones usually skint alive. Why don't they sell their ordinary produce as well as all this grown only in pure cow sh1te stuff etc?

To be fair Scober the majority of stalls at so-called 'Farmers Markets' are not card-carrying IFA members, rather big companies down from the North and UK to sell their wares at hiked prices. Then you get the rich auld one that moved from D4 to the country and has a cabbage patch. If you go, ask how many of them are up at 5am every day to milk cattle and don't get to finish till 9pm. Check out their hands - real farmers don't have baby-soft palms and manicures.

Yours in agriculture,
    Bigred (son of real farmer)

• Advertisement

We slip through the back of Barnhall and out into the field.

Well did anyone on here go? I was in Mondello all day so didn't get a chance.

No sign of any food market between 10 and 11am.Had a lovely brekkie though...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I was running through Castletown ~10ish on Sun 15th. I asked a security guard was the market going to happen... he said - No, but that it will be on once a month.... no other information I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 claire_h

The best place to check out events is on the Castletown website. www.castletown.ie Castletown House does post up information online about opening times and any upcoming events they have.

The markets will come this season, but not until later in the Summer. I rang and was told they might start sometime in June, but this has to be verified. They have a St. Patrick's Day programme advertised in local papers, newsletters and there is a notice board at the gate when walking from the village down the avenue towards the house and the news on events, markets, concerts etc are posted there too... The official www.castletown.ie website is best place to confirm any ''word of mouth'' news.

Also phone the house if in doubt, if someone answers the phone, they can confirm if there's anything happening, but if it's like 11am and no one answers, chances are there's nothing happening that particular day. When I rang first I got the answering machine and the message had the house and restaurant opening times and news on the Christmas Programme at the time.. They have very nice staff, the guide I spoke to was very helpful. I know they plan on having the markets, exhibits, free concerts and also one or two concerts (that are fee paying for public) during the year. So keep a look out...

Main thing when driving to Castletown is from the N4, stay on the main N4 road where it becomes the M4 as vehicle access is from the Celbridge West R449 exit 2a slip road.. NOT FROM THE VILLAGE.... Take the slip road at Celbridge West, this is a two lane slip road, before you reach roundabout a third lane emerges, take that lane on left and Castletown is 200 yrds on the right. Estate is near Hewlett Packard entrance.

Castletown is defo worth a visit. Proud to have it on my doorstep. :)

Castletown House and Parkland, great place to relax with the family and to talk dogs for a walk. I also live locally and delighted to see the restaurant has re-opened for the season... They've new opening times.. Wednesday to Sunday.. Open Bank Holidays 10am-5.30pm :) Delicious menu and reasonably priced for excellent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

bigred wrote: »
    ask how many of them are up at 5am every day to milk cattle
    Yours in agriculture,
    Bigred (son of real farmer)

Bigred

You make a good point, but if you are indeed a 'Farmer's Son' you should know that you don't milk Cattle, you milk Cows!:D

Advertisement