Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on Footpaths

Options
  • 18-02-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all - I'm sure there are threads on parking in Charlesland already - however I live in the Park, and am getting more and more frustrated with peoples parking. On numerous occasions I have see cars parked on the footpaths along the spine road.

Only last week we had my uncle visiting who is recently out of hospital and is wheelchair bound - we went to take a stroll to Superquinn and were forced to wheel off the path and onto the road!!

What about children in buggies, children on bicycles? It isnt safe to have to go onto this road. Footpaths are for walking not for parking. I understand that there are few spaces but if there is no space park a bit further away and walk back to your house. There is no excuses for parking on footpaths - is this not breaking some legislation??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I hate when people park on the footpaths. No matter where it is its very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I noticed bollards were put up at the two pedestrian crossings between the Wood and the shops. However, because they're so far apart, they've made absolutely no difference as cars can pass quite easily between them. I wonder how much it will have cost each of us for that failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Hi all - I'm sure there are threads on parking in Charlesland already - however I live in the Park, and am getting more and more frustrated with peoples parking. On numerous occasions I have see cars parked on the footpaths along the spine road.

Only last week we had my uncle visiting who is recently out of hospital and is wheelchair bound - we went to take a stroll to Superquinn and were forced to wheel off the path and onto the road!!

What about children in buggies, children on bicycles? It isnt safe to have to go onto this road. Footpaths are for walking not for parking. I understand that there are few spaces but if there is no space park a bit further away and walk back to your house. There is no excuses for parking on footpaths - is this not breaking some legislation??
    :mad:hate it really makes me mad why should anyone come off a footpath because of a car it is a footpath not a car park

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Yes taking a walk around with the old buggy can be a bit of an obstacle course, between cars parked on foothpaths ( I am in the Grove and all our neighbours are happy to keep the paths free for walking bar one girl who continues to park smack bang crossing the path) and the other obstacle - dog doo! Makes for an exciting walk.. unfortunately people will never change tho but it does help to have a little moan about it.

Tomato wrote: »
    Yes taking a walk around with the old buggy can be a bit of an obstacle course, between cars parked on foothpaths ( I am in the Grove and all our neighbours are happy to keep the paths free for walking bar one girl who continues to park smack bang crossing the path) and the other obstacle - dog doo! Makes for an exciting walk.. unfortunately people will never change tho but it does help to have a little moan about it.
    Dont get me going on dog doo always walking with my head down scanning the paths not nice cleaning it out of pram wheel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pink_Glits&pups

Haven't noticed the dog poop on the footpaths - probably under all the cars haha! Will defo keep my head down now whilst walking I dont want to return with an unpleasant friend on foot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Tomato wrote: »

Why not call in everytime she blocks the path and ask her to move? Keep doing it until she gets the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pink_Glits&pups

Agree - but because the cars are parked on footpaths and not always directly in reference to anyone house its not always easy to know who'se house to call to...plus could end up with a mouth full of abuse from the home owner :eek:

Think I might leave little notes on the windscreen advising them that it's a footpath for walking not parking!?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Maybe point print out a notice from this website and see if they react?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I don't think you'll get anywhere talking to these people. They're clearly aware of what they're doing. My parents live on a private road beside a church. At 12 mass there's always the people who think it's ok to park there. My mum had enough one day and said it to a man as he was getting into his car. His reply was that the car park was full. So my mum told him this didn't mean he could just park here. To which his reply was "where else am I supposed to park."

IMO these people are just ignorant and talking to them will do nothing. I reckon see about getting clamping in the area...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

It costs €90 to park on the footpaths up here in the Court so it is not as much of a problem. Definitely safer when the kids are out playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

wingding wrote: »
    I don't think you'll get anywhere talking to these people. They're clearly aware of what they're doing. My parents live on a private road beside a church. At 12 mass there's always the people who think it's ok to park there. My mum had enough one day and said it to a man as he was getting into his car. His reply was that the car park was full. So my mum told him this didn't mean he could just park here. To which his reply was "where else am I supposed to park."

IMO these people are just ignorant and talking to them will do nothing. I reckon see about getting clamping in the area...

Don't get me going on parking for mass ROTFL. In Dungarvan it is alleged if the parking warden is challenged to go and do something about the cars parked on double yellow lines during mass he will say its "Church hour" and walk away.

But back to the OPs parking q I might have the wrong page but this looks like the answer (feel free to correct me) http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a16

Driving on Footway
    13. (1) Subject to sub-articles (2) and (3), a vehicle shall not be driven along or across a footway.

...... it could be said if you park on the footway you have to have driven the car there along the footway, but more importantly.........

Prohibitions on Parking
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.
    (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—
    ( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

ttm wrote: »

Prohibitions on Parking
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.
    ( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

Problem is these are not public roads - this is a private estate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Wineman wrote: »
    Problem is these are not public roads - this is a private estate.

Exactly and to be honest look at every housing estate in the country there is going to be cars parked on the path they cant fit all there cars in the driveway get used to it and stop moaning i can understand if it forces you onto a main road with a Pram & Kids etc all that seems to be happening on this forum is ppl complaining about what happens in every Neighbourhood across the country!

Mods feel free to ban me im from the Greystones area and most of these posts are just moans and not constuctive in anyway dogs barking etc i mean c'mon!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Exactly and to be honest look at every housing estate in the country there is going to be cars parked on the path they cant fit all there cars in the driveway get used to it and stop moaning i can understand if it forces you onto a main road with a Pram & Kids etc all that seems to be happening on this forum is ppl complaining about what happens in every Neighbourhood across the country!

Mods feel free to ban me im from the Greystones area and most of these posts are just moans and not constuctive in anyway dogs barking etc i mean c'mon!

you're volunteering to be banned? that's commitment to your cause B-man....

these posts are just moans and not constuctive

...he said, in a moany unconstructive post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

1. Ask the Owner to Kindly Move there Car form the Path as it is causing an obstruction.

2. If this Fails Report it to You're Management Company and explain the situation that it is causing you to be in Dangerous position going out on the road expecially with Kids & Prams etc.

3 If That Fails Call the Guards if this is an offence which it seems to be they might do something about it.

4. Boards.ie is not the place for moaning about it go and do something about it.

4. Boards.ie is not the place for moaning about it go and do something about it.

So the Greystones & Charlesland forum on boards.ie should not be used in your opinion to discuss issues related to Charlesland? What should we do so - talk about the weather? :confused:

:eek:look i dont care where anyone parks their car but really just think leave space let people with prams and kids feel safe not to have to go out on very busy roads .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I've been on to the management company about it for ages now, it really does bug me as I pass them every day. I agree with the earlier comment that the bollards are useless. The cars are damaging the verge and paving which we will all have to pay for.
    The management company claim to putting stickers on the cars but i've yet to see it. They have been talking about clamping for as long as I know, but no action!
    I told them to contact the gardai about the problem as it became a penalty point offence last year to park on a footpath or cycletrack, but again I don't see anything happening

• Advertisement

You could try and scam the pavement parkers into parking properly;)
    Park your own car on the pavement, buy your own clamp and you can clamp your own car, better still get a mate that the neighbours don't know with an unmarked white van to clamp it for you. Then everyone will think clampers are working in the area and park correctly - some hope. Best remove the clamp at night when no ones looking or get your mate to come back and make a big fuss about unclamping it.
    OK I know its not something you are likely to do (cost of clamp is one good reason) but part of the point of clamping is that one clamped car can be seen by lots of people who might think twice how they park themsleves. I've noticed a few times in private car parks cars near the entrance with clamps on them - maybe someone doing what I'm suggesting or just common sence to get the best deterant effect out of one clamp.

ttm wrote: »
    You could try and scam the pavement parkers into parking properly;)
    Park your own car on the pavement, buy your own clamp and you can clamp your own car, better still get a mate that the neighbours don't know with an unmarked white van to clamp it for you. Then everyone will think clampers are working in the area and park correctly - some hope. Best remove the clamp at night when no ones looking or get your mate to come back and make a big fuss about unclamping it.
    OK I know its not something you are likely to do (cost of clamp is one good reason) but part of the point of clamping is that one clamped car can be seen by lots of people who might think twice how they park themsleves. I've noticed a few times in private car parks cars near the entrance with clamps on them - maybe someone doing what I'm suggesting or just common sence to get the best deterant effect out of one clamp.
    I think the flaw in the plan would be someone calling the guards to tell them there are illegal clampers operating in the area. Not all of Charlesland has agreed to clamping yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

Sorry but I dont garee, I have never seen anything as bad as the parking in Charleslna, I think it's fairly unique to find people parking on roundabouts!!! and how do they even manage to get their cars up on the path down opposite Superquinn, it's nuts!! and there is plenty of positive posts on here and if people need to have a moan and get stuff off their chests why not use this...

I think the flaw in the plan would be someone calling the guards to tell them there are illegal clampers operating in the area. Not all of Charlesland has agreed to clamping yet!

OK a less than perfect plan, worse still if the guards came out and gave you a ticket for your parking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Misslizzy

I regret to say, my husband and I are offenders here. I never realised people were so opposed to the idea of encroaching somewhat on footpaths. We're generally gone between 8 in the morning and 8 in the evening so hopefully we're absent during buggy rush hour. I have, for all these years, been cursing the people who park in the road, especially at junctions where the completely obscure visibility - you are halfway across the road before you see a vehicle bearing down on you - but also around the greens and now that people have started parking on both sides of it, it is a complete disaster for motoring safety. Oh dear!

Misslizzy wrote: »
    I regret to say, my husband and I are offenders here. I never realised people were so opposed to the idea of encroaching somewhat on footpaths. We're generally gone between 8 in the morning and 8 in the evening so hopefully we're absent during buggy rush hour. I have, for all these years, been cursing the people who park in the road, especially at junctions where the completely obscure visibility - you are halfway across the road before you see a vehicle bearing down on you - but also around the greens and now that people have started parking on both sides of it, it is a complete disaster for motoring safety. Oh dear!

I know this is a private estate but its diffcult to see any difference in the parking patterns you have here and anywhere else in this country.

If you want to rant about people parking on/near junctions then it may supprise you to know that further down the page on the link I provided earlier you'll find the following.....

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;
    ( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—
    (i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];
    (ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or
    (iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];

So no excuse for "people who park in the road, especially at junctions where the completely obscure visibility"

Again I'll repeat I know those rules may not apply in this particular case but come on, is it not reasonable to leave a space so people can see as they pull out from junctions?...... but there I go I've used the word "space" which in one word also seems to imply to many people "space to park a car" doh!

Advertisement