Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Come Dine With Me

• 18-02-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I LOVE this programme so much. I spend a full Sunday evening watching it. Anybody else into it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah great show. The guys that narrates it makes it for me.He just totally takes the p1ss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is also my guilty pleasure... the narrator puts it a step above other cooking shows.

Nothing better than vegging out and sitting through the 5 episode marathon on a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

Love this programme. The narrator is the star of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

The combinations of crazy people they put together are brilliant!

Look at this, probably the most disturbing group:

Watch from 8.00 on :P Hilarious!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

The narrator really does make the show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

narrator's name is Dave Lamb. I thought I was the only fan!
    Prefer the regular eps to the celebrity ones though.
    Saw one the other day where a knickerless bimbo went to bed
    after her starter and the others had to cook their own dinner
    (fajitas from a packet)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

I think alot of people watch this, but never own up to it. i actually cancel all my sunday evening plans to watch this.
    Yes the narrator is very good, brilliant sarcastic/witty remarks.
    I also have to be eating something nice while im watching it!!
    Ah, really hope it stays around for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Zomg love the show , and yeah the narrator is awesome! :pac:!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The show is pretty addictive, my O/H has our second sky+ box nearly full with episodes between Ch4, E4 and More 4.

Why can't Ireland produce some cheap television like this that's worth watching instead of some crap talent show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Have to agree this is a brilliant show and mainly due to it's excellent narration. The characters they select are brilliant and picked purely because they are so different they will inevitably disagree. Plenty of room for disasters and getting a look around the houses and lifestyles is also fun. Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Love it!!!! The narrator is hilarious!!! i sit in and watch the Sunday marathon - nothing else on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

I LOVE this programme, on a Sunday its great when your hungover i just sit there and watch it. The narrator is so funny he makes it.

Do you ever notice when you first meet the people and they might e.g i dont like people who are loud and you know that guarantees someone at the dinner will be loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Its a pity Ireland dont have something like this, i'd be on it like a shot!!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Another fan here. I like how they are all regular joes in hte kitchen, I hate watching cookery shows. It would be interesting to see it in Ireland but I don't think we have enough variety of characters here to make it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Have only seen it a few times, but he is gas. Especially when they give higher scores to someone who made chilli using a jar of sauce than the one who pretty much slaughtered the pig and cooked everything from scratch!

basquille wrote: »
    This is also my guilty pleasure...
    Orls81 wrote: »
    I think alot of people watch this, but never own up to it.
    Why would it be a guilty pleasure or why wouldn't you own up to it? It's a great show.

smares wrote: »
    Do you ever notice when you first meet the people and they might e.g i dont like people who are loud and you know that guarantees someone at the dinner will be loud.
    It's called editing.

I love the editing when you have 1 person (usually the most annoying) saying that they'll keep in touch with everyone else and then they show a clip of each of the remaining 4 saying that they'll stay in touch with everyone "but" the 1st person. :D

It must be quite embarrasing for some people to look back on.

Mingey wrote: »
    Another fan here. I like how they are all regular joes in hte kitchen, I hate watching cookery shows.
    That's the great thing about it, it's dressed up as a cookery show but it's not really. Don't think I've ever been inspired to cook something I've seen on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Love this show - addicted to the new episodes on Channel 4 every day at 5.30 - especially like the woman this week who will only drink beer at the dinner parties and is obsessed with Sunderland Football Club. I love it when the worst night is convinced they are going to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Love it! love it! love it!.Iwatch it every evening at 5.30 on channel 4.Its addictive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

Orls81 wrote: »
    Its a pity Ireland dont have something like this, i'd be on it like a shot!!!

:pac:

So would I but you cant route around my house ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You can watch all these on 4OD. Probably a completely under used resource for TV addicts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I never think of it caus its on on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Ah yes, fantastic show. The celebrity one is good too, and most people I've talked to have admitted to liking it! Surprised RTE haven't copied it because it'd be cheap to make. They'd ruin it by having some muppet like Charlie Bird do the narration.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

I love this show, espec the regular shows when they have some posh bird/bloke thrown into the mix with the regular joe's, oh it has improved my sunday's no end i can tell ya, not to mention my culinary skills!

Quint wrote: »
    Ah yes, fantastic show. The celebrity one is good too, and most people I've talked to have admitted to liking it! Surprised RTE haven't copied it because it'd be cheap to make. They'd ruin it by having some muppet like Charlie Bird do the narration.

or ryle nugent or even worse, yer wan from podge and rodge, Lucky Kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's the great thing about it, it's dressed up as a cookery show but it's not really. Don't think I've ever been inspired to cook something I've seen on the show.

Me neither I suppose. Probably because the show focuses on the person messing things up and then you see them all eating the food and complaining.

Weren't there 4 people to begin with, now there are 5. Is that to fill the week up?

I think it started with the 5 half hour shows and then they did a series or two of the hour long ones
    with 4 contestants and have now gone back to the 5 shows again, which I prefer. Can't believe
    Sunderland supporting lager lover Ashley is in line to win this weeks. Steak with cheese and chicken
    crust!:eek: Did anyone see the ep. where she told them her mother had 24 brothers and sisters in
    southern Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Dave lamb as narrator is fantastic.

A celebrity edition recently had Christpher Biggins who got confused and misinterpreted something and said 'Oh I've gone up the wrong road on this'. Quick as you like the narrator goes " not for the first time I'd say, eh Biggins" and then moved on!!!

Quality stuff... Also it works far better with five half hour episodes than compacting into a one hour show with four.

tallpaul wrote: »
    A celebrity edition recently had Christpher Biggins who got confused and misinterpreted something and said 'Oh I've gone up the wrong road on this'. Quick as you like the narrator goes " not for the first time I'd say, eh Biggins" and then moved on!!!
    Haha. You do know that the show is not live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Love this show- I think it's gathering a bit of a cult following. There's nothing quite like it on a Sunday afternoon with a few nibbles. Some of the recipes are actually very nice and they're on CH4's website too.

I love when you have a very posh person, three normal and then one complete and utter chav- anyone remember pink-haired Vera from an early series whose idea of dessert was ice-cream with crushed Maltesers and a coulis made of strawberry jam mixed with water all topped off with canned whipped cream? Was brilliant.

Plus, there's always a dark horse. If anyone is watching the new 5.30pm daily ones, I think Roy tonight will give it a decent go. He's been very quiet but friendly all week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

spent most of the day watching the show on 4od. i love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I love this show. Sunday afternoons would not be the same without 5 hours of CDWM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

just discovered this show and am loving it the narrator is hilarious

Yep, it's addictive viewing.

Watched 2.5 hours of it on Sunday from 5pm - 7.30pm, then there was another hour episode from 9pm - 10pm. Then, there was another one on last night from 9pm - 10pm! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 this show is so funny!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NITFBY

My wife just loves this show. Starting to get into it myself as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

+1 this show is so funny and i my mother is watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The unmistakable voice behind the Come Dine With Me camera – Dave Lamb – tells Gina Schauffer what he really thinks of the cult show that highlights dinner party disasters across the country

Our readers often cite you as being the best bit of Come Dine With Me - do people recognise you the moment you open your mouth?

Everyone tells me my voice is different from what I do on the programme. It’s become more and more camp and ridiculous... I get overexcited now. But if you listen to the earlier episodes, it’s really quite flat and 'normal'. They, quite rightly, reined me in early on, because if you go from nought to 60 straight away it's a bit too much! So we've gradually worked our way up. The difference between the early series and now is marked.
    How do you come up with the witty one-liners?

I read from a script, but I'm allowed to improvise around the script. So I watch it, and if something occurs to me to say that’s not on the script I just say it. And the producer will then either go 'alright we’ll keep that' or we go back and do what's meant to be on the page. I watch it [the show] for the first time, I sight read the script and then do it [the voiceover], so I'm reacting as an audience member. I watch it like a viewer, and that's kind of the feel we go for.
    It tends to come across as very fresh.

Yes, I think that's why, because I never know who's going to win; I kind of discover it as it goes along. I’ll either read it [the script] or - because I’m watching and listening as I go along - if I react differently, I’ll try something different and the producer will either say 'OK we’ll go with that' or 'get back in there and stop swearing' which is normally what happens! There’s some real filth on the cutting room floor... It's good fun, and if you can have a laugh doing it, that's part of the job really.
    Have you ever had any favourites from any of the shows?

I really warm to people; you really take an instant like or dislike to people as you’re doing it. It’s a difficult one, because you've got to be aware of what the viewers are going to be thinking and you don’t want to go against that, so you don’t want to be nasty if no-one's deserved it. Quite often, the producers have spent 5 days with these people and some of them have got really hacked off with some of these guys over the 5 days, so when they come to write the scripts at the end, they're already furious on day 1. So I come into it and go 'why are we so angry with this person, we don’t know who they are'! Or sometimes I feel we can go for people when they’ve been lovely to them.
    Have any of the contestants ever taken offence at your near the knuckle banter?

Not that I've been told of, but I do feel like they might protect me from things like that! The producers might have had to wrestle with some angry contestants on occasion, so they try to keep all that away from me.

Do your friends make you do the commentary at their dinner parties?

[Laughs] No, they don't!
    And are you a keen cook?

No I’m not, I'm rubbish! My wife is a qualified chef, so I’ve gone into my shell as a chef since we've been married, because she really won’t hold back criticising my food. The first thing I did was cook her a stroganoff – first time we had a date – and she just literally had two mouthfuls and went 'no, er, I don't think so'. So this is very cathartic, watching other people cook nearly as badly as me.
    Does she give you tips for the show?

I sometimes phone her for pronunciation of certain foods – not so much now, but in the early series. I mean more often than not the producers cover it – they write it out phonetically across the script, so that there's no confusion.

The disasters always make great TV – but to your knowledge, have there ever been any crazy mishaps e.g. the fire brigade called out?

I don't think that's happened. The one when someone was sick; they had to run from the table to be sick after they had a raw poached egg – that sticks in my mind. That’s quite a bad dinner party when your guests actually have to run to the loo, with cameraman following them down the corridor!

But Preston, famously, was the maddest week of television I’ve ever seen. As the only sane person in the week put it ‘you've chosen the four maddest people in Preston and put them in a room together'. And that’s exactly what it was like. They were crazy; the one woman Dawn not only ran away from a dinner party the night before – she jumped over the back fence and her husband was waiting for her in the car – but then on her night, she didn't cook. She cooked the starter and then she went 'oh you know what, I’m a bit tired' and went to bed! And they were all left sitting there with a camera crew, and had to cook their own mains!

When did you first get involved with the show?

I think it's been on for about four or five years. I just went for an audition; they'd recorded a pilot and Channel 4 said the voiceover was a bit formal and sensible, so they auditioned people to be a bit more light hearted – without being too over the top. I think if I’d auditioned for it with how I do it now, I wouldn't have got the job. They would’ve gone 'that's far too big, you can't do it like that'! But they offered it to me and I'm really glad I took it. It’s a really watchable format. I often miss my cues doing the voiceover just by watching it. It's so easy to get wrapped up in it.
    People do get passionate about the show.

And they don't like cheating! These tactical markings are the scourge of the reality TV industry...
    And can we expect to see the show on our screens for a long time to come?

It's not showing any signs of wearing thin. It's getting better and better.
    Why do you think that is?

I think people just seem to be getting more and more bonkers! And that's brilliant. They choose people really well – it's a really good melting pot and it just works so well.
    In your own world of dining, what are your favourite dishes?

Well we eat very well at home, because my wife's a chef. I actually think we're having mallard at the weekend! [Laughs] I like everything really. But I quite often think on the show 'ooh that looks nice' or 'God, that looks appalling'. I do feel sorry for people who have to eat something they really hate, because there is nothing worse than if you can't abide the taste of something and having to force it down. Interestingly, there are more and more vegetarians coming on the show who are cooking meat, although they're not eating it themselves.
    What other work would we recognise you in?

I had a little part in Doc Martin, because I’m an actor too – about four years ago. I'm doing Moving Wallpaper at the moment; I play one of the writers. I was the token white bloke in Goodness Gracious Me, the Asian comedy sketch show, so I played all the white parts – except the most famous one, 'Going for an English'. But I did do that in Wembley Arena, for the Amnesty International gig – which was terrifying. I used to be in a sketch show called The Cheese Shop, we were all doing the Edinburgh Festival about the same time – The League of Gentlemen, the Mighty Boosh, Armstrong and Miller – and then they all became enormous!
    And what do you do in your spare time?

I'm training for the London Marathon at the moment – that’s my thing. I’m 40 this year and you want to just tick off one of those things and go 'I've done it'. It's been a slow burner; it's crept over me suddenly – for years I'd been comfortable with the fact that I'd never have to run a marathon, and then gradually, at 38, in the back of my head a little idea came and I thought 'oh God, I'm going to have to do it'. (Support Dave Lamb's London Marathon efforts at www.justgiving/davelamb1.)

http://www.channel4.com/food/features/interviews/dave-lamb-interview_p_1.html

This thread reminds me of the funniest scene ever in 'Come Dine With Me'..

.. it was on a few weeks ago - it's the first night of the dinner party and this woman brings out her pet snake who proceeds to shit all over the table (and it's very runny and spurts out all over the table!)

Superb! :D

EDIT: FOUND IT!

basquille wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the funniest scene ever in 'Come Dine With Me'..

.. it was on a few weeks ago - it's the first night of the dinner party and this woman brings out her pet snake who proceeds to shit all over the table (and it's very runny and spurts out all over the table!)

Superb! :D

EDIT: FOUND IT!
    OMG, that's fecking disgusting!
    Talk about something backfiring. "Yeah I'll bring out my snake to the guests, that'll really impress them........OH NOOOOOOOOO, STOP SH!TTING ON THE TABLE!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Christ.... I'm guessing she didn't win?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Christ.... I'm guessing she didn't win?
    Dead last if I remember correctly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

I only get to watch this show the odd time but I love it.

Christopher Biggins was a laugh especially when one of his dishes didn't work and he went to the supermarket to replace it and passed it off as his own.

very sad...tonight's episode the guy who finished second was going to
    give the money to a cancer charity as a friend/relative was sicks. The
    winner donated 500 to the cause and then at the end it says they
    runner up himself died two months later from the same disease!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

sweetie wrote: »
    very sad...tonight's episode the guy who finished second was going to
    give the money to a cancer charity as a friend/relative was sicks. The
    winner donated 500 to the cause and then at the end it says they
    runner up himself died two months later from the same disease!
    Yeah, watched that last night. Very sad.

The posh one was a tool tho: "peasants, peasants, peasants". LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,985 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Popular Channel 4 series Come Dine With Me is the latest show to face 'faking it' accusations after it was revealed some of the homes featured don't belong to the contestants.

Celebrities including Christopher Biggins and Sherrie Hewson appeared in properties which were hired out especially for the show, however, viewers were led to believe that they were their own homes.

Alternative locations were used for filming either to fit in with the show's schedule or because some of the contestants didn't want their real houses featured on TV, reports the Daily Mail.

In the episode featuring Christopher Biggins he was seen showing his dinner guests a framed photograph of Joan Collins which he kept in his living room. However, the home featured did not really belong to the I'm A Celebrity star.

A production company insider told the paper: "Surely there is an obligation on the programme-makers to make it clear to the viewers. That's the format of the show - it is a dinner party at their house. You would have thought they would have been extremely careful after what's happened in the past."

A spokesperson for Channel 4 said: "For logistic and security reasons, some of the celebrity dinner parties are filmed at a rented location rather than their own homes.

"This is only the case for the celebrity spin-offs. Contributors for Come Dine With Me host their dinners at their own homes."

i dont really care whose house it is tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I agree- I don't care where they are! But I feel they should clarify if it's not the person's home though, rather than putting up photos of the celebrity in the background and thinking they're fooling people. :rolleyes:
    "Welcome to my home! I'll show you into the sitting r... bugger, where is it again?!" :P

Channel 4 is rumoured to be planning a Big Brother Come Dine With Me special.

Former contestant Nick Bateman suggested the idea earlier this year, claiming that he would like to go on the show with series five star Victor Ebuwa, Freddie 'Halfwit' Fisher, Mario Marconi and Darren Ramsay.

He claimed that he pitched the idea to the programme's producers, but the project was turned down.

However, writing on his Twitter account yesterday during filming of the Big Brother 11 promo, Bateman said that Channel 4 is now going ahead with special episode, but will be using different contestants.

"Not doing Come Dine With Me. Instead Brian Belo, Brian Dowling, Nadia [Almada] and somebody else I never heard of," he wrote.

A Come Dine With Me will air tonight on Channel 4 as part of their alternative election coverage, while a WAG World Cup special featuring Nicola Tappenden will air in June.

BBC Worldwide has commissioned a US remake of Come Dine With Me.

The series, which will be produced by ITV Studios America, follows a group of people as they host dinner parties and mark each other's efforts.

The new version of the show, featuring contestants from New York, will air on BBC America in 2011.

David Weiland from BBC Worldwide said: "The UK version of Come Dine With Me is already a strong performer on BBC Lifestyle across all territories and we are really excited about adding the US version to the mix.

"This deal reinforces our commitment to commission local productions for our channels, in this case BBC America, and we're thrilled to be working with ITV Studios to create a US incarnation of the show."

The series will also be aired on BBC Lifestyle in Asia, Africa, Poland, Scandinavia and the Middle East and on BBC Entertainment in Latin America.

Meanwhile, BBC America will begin broadcasting 22 episodes of the UK Come Dine With Me from July this year.

The show wont work without Dave Lamb's voiceover imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The show wont work without Dave Lamb's voiceover imo

He was the person who made me sit up and take notice of it. Now I love it, and he's an integral part of it.

The funniest non-celeb moment is probably the snake fiasco.

But the funniest celeb. ep. (for me) was the one with Kim Woodburn in it. When asked about the rice, "It's boil in the bag, dear."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

gave a little smile to myself when i saw this thread:)

im a 40 yr ol geezer and i love this show.

remember the black woman who fell asleep at someones house?:D what a so and so! i think it was in the same epsiode where one of the blokes died shortly after it been broadcast.

great programme,hive 5 all ye come diners!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement