Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back light in studio query

• 18-02-2009 4:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i'm currently doing a large project in a studio, gonna take many many weeks, i'm looking for a solution to a problem, i need to use gels to light a white backdrop, in a way that the models will not get the colour cast on them, so far my only option is tracing paper....ALOT and shoot with the light from behind, not really feasable given it'll cost a bomb for that paper.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I don't quite understand, are you trying to change the colour of the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just use a solid gobo, from tables turned on their sides to something more advanced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Why not shoot it with the White Background & then change the colour in PP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

You could use a double back drop. One very light sheet of white material that is back lit by the lights, a second heavier white backdrop a foot or two behind to add a more "solid" look to the back drop, without a cross over of colours or the added difficulty of having to light through the thicker backdrop.

It should be noted,the only place this makes sense is in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'd go with a flag or gobo between camera and background light to stop any spill.

If the background itself is massively reflective you might have problems but most studio backdrops aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm i think the second backdrop will dilute the colour to much and a gobo mightn't give that even a cast.... shall try and find out tho

If you use something solid, you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

really?

can ya exaplain in more detail this double backdrop?

Attached a quick diagram of the set up I'm on about. Just out of bed so expect nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Attached a quick diagram of the set up I'm on about. Just out of bed so expect nothing spectacular.

Spectacular enough in fairness...

• Advertisement

Hah, the template is an old one, handy for this kind of thing though, it has all the different light sources and gobo's, you just drag, drop, copy and paste and rotate to what you need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think the point is that it was done pre-9 a.m.!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I still don't understand why you need to use the Gels at the time of shooting.

What I hear a lot of people do is shoot a High Key background & then alter the colour in a layer later. Set the lights bright enough to blow the bacground to white, but not so high that you get reflection back on to the model & so get spill (using some sort of Barn Doors or the like can help here) This way you can then select any colour you wish as to put in the background & vary it to suit your needs.

Tbh, I find it a lot less fiddly to do it all at the time of shooting - What would take an extra twenty minutes to set up in the studio can take an extra 10 minutes per photo in Photoshop (And I can be a perfectionist for post processing, so possibly make that longer), so if I wanted 10 images after the shoot, I'm talking 100 minutes to get it perfect.

Get it right with the lighting, and you're sorted for all 10 images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Guessing that it's for college, using gels, explaining how you used em etc etc all equals higher marks.

Try asking Kevin Fox too Mele, he's great for lighting etc.

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Guessing that it's for college, using gels, explaining how you used em etc etc all equals higher marks.

Try asking Kevin Fox too Mele, he's great for lighting etc.

Indeed and I did ask, he said do it in post pro but finding a solution in studio would be better

Advertisement