Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Loan from Credit Union to be used as deposit on House

Options
  • 18-02-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

When i walked into my local CU today i saw this great offer of 7% Interest on a Car Loan. Great rate, small repayments, could i use it for a deposit on a house or would it be too risky?

Has anyone any experience or another way to get a deposit for a house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ah, no. They won't let you take out a car loan unless it's for a.....car.
    If it was that easy nobody would get personal loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

oh yeah sure, but do they actually take any details of the car? how can they proof it i wonder?

the rate for a personal loan is 10% at the moment. great savings when u compare

If you're getting a loan for a car, they'll issue the cheque in the name of the dealer, not you.
    Seriously, you're not the first person to get the little lightbulb over your head on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

sumse wrote: »
    oh yeah sure, but do they actually take any details of the car? how can they proof it i wonder?

Not sure about CU but the banks from what I remember will only issue the cheque to the seller of the car. This way they are sure that it is infact for a car. In the case of a dealer it'd be written out to them, not sure for private sales though...

Check it out though but they will put some kind of restriction to make sure it is infact for a car (I could be wrong about the credit union though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

Any car loans i got, money was just lodged into my account.
    The problem may come when you apply for a mortgage. In my experience banks want all loans cleared before they will offer the mortgage.

• Advertisement

but is it not right that the loan with CU wont show up? so you basically have nothing on bank statements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

but is it not right that the loan with CU wont show up? so you basically have nothing on bank statements?

That used to be the case but alass no longer.

thats interesting, so do you know how that works?
    is there a direct debit going out of the personal account?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got a "car loan" in 2005 for this very purpose. They never asked about the car and the cheque was made out to me.

They just get a report from these chaps http://www.icb.ie/

• Advertisement

:(
    so means im in trouble now!

i actually applied for a mortgage and a loan with the CU today.
    so they can actually see what is going on???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Has anyone any experience or another way to get a deposit for a house?

Try saving.

clever idea, didnt think of that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I can't imagine why you think we'd allow this kind of discussion.

Remember, lying is bad. Lying to financial institutions is even worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement