Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking metres increased!!!

• 18-02-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

:mad:I ran into town today and parked in Ballybricken and only noticed that it now costs a whopping €1.80 per hour to park on the streets in the city centre! That's a ridiculous cost and increase from the €1.50 it used to be. Anyone know when this increase happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Great way to attract people to the city centre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

racram wrote: »
    :mad:I ran into town today and parked in Ballybricken and only noticed that it now costs a whopping €1.80 per hour to park on the streets in the city centre! That's a ridiculous cost and increase from the €1.50 it used to be. Anyone know when this increase happened?

Yeah it's in a few weeks I think.

Bit of a disaster really. The council complain about the drop in footfall in the City Centre but then they go and make it even less appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

racram wrote: »

what did you park if you ran to town ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Try €2.90 an hour up here in the smoke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Try €2.90 an hour up here in the smoke ;)
    Sure, if you give me your average wage too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

This is good news. I've always said that the spaces were too narrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oddly when I put 1.50 in the slot it was enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mike65 wrote: »
    Oddly when I put 1.50 in the slot it was enough!

You can pay for any part of an hour. 30c should get you 10 mins.

Doh! I've been sticking in an hours worth :o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

Also the meter maids can give you a ticket if your tax is out of date! and its 60 euro, couldn't believe when I got 2 tickets in one month - The council put up their prices with the only reason to sustain their bloated inneffiecient service, The fact the pay parking streets extend well into the suburbs where tit is never full is proof that its not about parking management and congestion, jus the moneys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

i'll be doing all my shopping outside of the city centre and you can thank the corpo for that . plenty of free carparking spaces in tesco , tkmaxx , lidi's , ETC soon enough the city centre will car free zone and the corpo will have to move the metres even further out into the burbs !!

i havent' seen any of the local rags( local newspapers) sayin anything about the parking fees going up , but yet they would put the cream crakers on the front page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

A lot of streets still dont have meters but still have disc signs, Mountsion Avenue for example. I had to drive around to find a meter (Shortcourse), is it now free??????????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

owenmakken wrote: »
    Also the meter maids can give you a ticket if your tax is out of date! and its 60 euro, couldn't believe when I got 2 tickets in one month -

There doing their job and its an offense to not have road tax so whats wrong with them fining people? If you can't afford to tax your car then you shouldn't be driving it as god only knows what else you couldn't afford in relation to it

Cabaal wrote: »
    There doing their job and its an offense to not have road tax so whats wrong with them fining people? If you can't afford to tax your car then you shouldn't be driving it as god only knows what else you couldn't afford in relation to it

Whatever, save your gay speeches for someone who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

LOL.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Give it a rest please. He is entitled to his opinion as you are - as long as its within the rules.

If you dont pay your tax, dont complain if you get a fine. You are breaking the law after all.

Sully wrote: »
    Give it a rest please. He is entitled to his opinion as you are - as long as its within the rules.

If you dont pay your tax, dont complain if you get a fine. You are breaking the law after all.

I was just informing people of a fact, he was the one makin the snide remark if you read it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was just informing people of a fact, he was the one makin the snide remark if you read it

You did inform people of a fact, thats not the issue here. You have been sent a PM explaining. Lets keep this thread on topic, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's defiantly a mistake to do this.
    I had just started to shop in ballybricken and the mayors walk again as it was so cheap to leave the car there for 2 hours and go down town.
    Now I may as well stay on the quay or in city square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

they'll be changing that too in a few weeks. no more parking discs so you'll be paying by the hour again.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

pay your way, glad you were caught

south wrote: »
    they'll be changing that too in a few weeks. no more parking discs so you'll be paying by the hour again.

It's already changed. You still only pay two hours worth for the full day parking, although at the new, higher rate. But still not bad for the whole day.

They made the mistake of charging by the hour (with 2 or 3 hours max) instead of a daily rate before and the car park was virtually abandoned. Seems to be largely used by workers, to whom 2 or 3 hours max is useless. They soon saw sense and changed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Has anyone noticed an increase in spaces available since the price per hour went up?

Not from Waterford so it's a genuine question. Parking prices should be increased to a level where roughly 1 in 5-6 spaces is always available. Once that target is breached they need to be raised again. Simple policy tool for local authorities.

Any lower and you get people abandoning their cars for the day while they go to work clogging up spaces for shoppers.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Any lower and you get people abandoning their cars for the day while they go to work clogging up spaces for shoppers.

That can't really happen in most council spaces, as there is either a 2 or 3 hour limit on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I did see an increase in spaces available when the machines came in first so I started using the spaces cause i never had parking disks, but now there are loads of spaces.
    Usually where I park at the top of the town its all residents permits.

In 5 years of parking in Waterford city to work I never got away with 1hr free. When I lived in Gladstone st I had 11 parking tickets at one point.

Love to know if anybody parks on the street all day and gets away with it......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed an increase in spaces available since the price per hour went up?

Not from Waterford so it's a genuine question. Parking prices should be increased to a level where roughly 1 in 5-6 spaces is always available. Once that target is breached they need to be raised again. Simple policy tool for local authorities.

Good point. But not the sort of logic that flies in Waterford. Although if there is not enough parking then it doesn't apply, in which case the council is shooting itself in the foot re shoppers anyway.

Still, with ALDI never full, and spaces usually available around Ballybricken or Millers Marsh, there seems to be sufficient parking to adopt the strategy you mention. People seem to have a dread of walking a few hundred yards in Waterford.

I blame the wind and pavements (and the innate laziness of people like me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Not exactly a comeback of Pighead magnitude is it?:D

I'm going to say again working in the city centre in a business thaT gets say 30-40% of our income through footfall its starting to get my goat the parking situation. Its become a business at this stage for the council. If they could make parking free Sunday to Wednesday surely that might at least help the local businesses.

I was actually offered a job as a trafffic warden many moons ago. You wouldn't believe the money they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    Not exactly a comeback of Pighead magnitude is it?:D

I'm going to say again working in the city centre in a business thaT gets say 30-40% of our income through footfall its starting to get my goat the parking situation. Its become a business at this stage for the council. If they could make parking free Sunday to Wednesday surely that might at least help the local businesses.

I was actually offered a job as a trafffic warden many moons ago. You wouldn't believe the money they get.

Considering the city council have to work with €5m less than last year (http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4900&Itemid=10370&ed=479), how are they supposed to balance the books without raising charges elsewhere?

Do people think that the council take the money home and buy presents for their children?

The real enemy here is the government. They squeeze councils in good times and bad.

Advertisement